Jan Gehl in Adelaide

Jan Gehl in Adelaide

Postby donnie darko » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:21 pm

http://www.adelaidereview.com.au/property.php?subaction=showfull&id=1254373057&archive=&start_from=&ucat=19&

Check in out. He has done some wonderful things in Adelaide and around the world.

Cheers Sam
donnie darko

by BNA » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:34 pm

BNA

Re: Jan Gehl in Adelaide

Postby alex » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:34 pm

its good the powers that be are onto the cycling infrastructure thing. However, Jan Gehl is a huge advocate of copenhagen bike lanes. copenhagen bike lanes are great. in copenhagen. not in adelaide. the experimental one heading eastbound along sturt st in the city is absolutely suicidal for cyclists (unless you think a bit of green paint will keep you alive), and has reduced carparking spaces by probably about 80%. again, no wonder motorists hate us.

travelling westbound on sturt st is great. there is a massive gap for parked cars to back out a bit so they can see right up the bike lane before committing to the maneuver.

imo we need local people with local experience coming up with more relevant ideas.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex

Postby donnie darko » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:07 pm

So true I fully agree with that. In europe is completely different to Australian conditions. But we can take reference from good design and adapt it. We do have some great young planners and urban designers in Adelaide, as long as they are recongised and heard.
donnie darko

Postby bepboy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:21 am

alex wrote:copenhagen bike lanes are great. in copenhagen. not in adelaide. the experimental one heading eastbound along sturt st in the city is absolutely suicidal for cyclists (unless you think a bit of green paint will keep you alive), and has reduced carparking spaces by probably about 80%. again, no wonder motorists hate us.

travelling westbound on sturt st is great. there is a massive gap for parked cars to back out a bit so they can see right up the bike lane before committing to the maneuver.

imo we need local people with local experience coming up with more relevant ideas.

IMHO The changes to sturt st are an absolute disaster for both cyclists and motorists. The change on the northern side has meant that no vehicle can now turn left on sturt st without having to use part of the opposite lane and therefore veering into oncoming traffic, making them swerve into the bike lane on the southern side. An riders using the southern lane play russian roullete with cars backing out of parking spaces.
The whole exercise has been a great study on how stuff up a city street for all users.
-------------------------------
ego veho ergo exsisto
bepboy

Return to South Australia