Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby matth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Can anyone recommend good commutes from Glenelg (start near Brighton Road tram stop) to Greenhill Road (near Glen Osmond Road). I am just starting riding again and am not 100% confident with busy roads, however may try them if they have bike lanes.

Thanks in advance.
User avatar
matth
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: Adelaide, SA

by BNA » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:03 pm

BNA
 

Re: Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby shiv » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:03 pm

The obvious one is straight up Anzac Hwy which has a bike lane the whole way, but can be quite busy at certain times of the day (and may be prone to random close personal friends in cars as i found out on Wed). Any other option would involve snaking through back streets that are a lot quiter but would make for a much longer slower ride. Back roads also dont always have bike lanes either. Maybe try tackling Anzaz at a quite time of day like mid morning and see how that goes.
Good luck and enjoy your riding
shiv
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: 17th green, Glenelg Golf Course

Re: Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby Biffidus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:50 pm

There is a linear park that follows the route of the old glenelg railway line through Plympton and Mile End. It's twisty and you have to give way to lots of cross roads but if you want to stay off the roads and you're not in a hurry, it's not a bad option.

A better option would be to follow the tram line, you should have secondary roads and bike paths the whole way to greenhill road (although the south road crossing might be an issue while they're building the tram bridge).

I've only nearly-been-killed twice on Anzac Highway, it's not that bad!
User avatar
Biffidus
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:20 pm
Location: RADelaide

Re: Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby brauluver » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:43 pm

Biffidus wrote:There is a linear park that follows the route of the old glenelg railway line through Plympton and Mile End. It's twisty and you have to give way to lots of cross roads but if you want to stay off the roads and you're not in a hurry, it's not a bad option.



Quite a nice path that one.
If you hook up with it behind Camden oval it will spit you out at the the bottom of london rd and Sth rd.Or jump off at Richmond rd and it's a short haul to g/hill.
google maps will give you an idea.A few roads to cross(back streets) and a couple of mains with lights.Give it a go on a w/end maybe.
brauluver
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Adelaide N/E

Re: Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby shiv » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:28 pm

brauluver wrote:
Biffidus wrote:There is a linear park that follows the route of the old glenelg railway line through Plympton and Mile End. It's twisty and you have to give way to lots of cross roads but if you want to stay off the roads and you're not in a hurry, it's not a bad option.



Quite a nice path that one.
If you hook up with it behind Camden oval it will spit you out at the the bottom of london rd and Sth rd.Or jump off at Richmond rd and it's a short haul to g/hill.
google maps will give you an idea.A few roads to cross(back streets) and a couple of mains with lights.Give it a go on a w/end maybe.


I didnt know this track existed!! Might be a good one to get the traffic shy missus onto to get her ks up
shiv
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: 17th green, Glenelg Golf Course

Re: Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:41 am

Biffidus wrote:There is a linear park that follows the route of the old glenelg railway line through Plympton and Mile End. It's twisty and you have to give way to lots of cross roads but if you want to stay off the roads and you're not in a hurry, it's not a bad option.

A better option would be to follow the tram line, you should have secondary roads and bike paths the whole way to greenhill road (although the south road crossing might be an issue while they're building the tram bridge).

I've only nearly-been-killed twice on Anzac Highway, it's not that bad!


The old train line route is okay. Kinda twisty and you gave to constantly give way to cross roads. I'm not really a fan of that route.

Following the tram line is a much better way, pretty easy (once you know your way) and it'll bring you up near Wayville Showgrounds. We rode this route yesterday from Gelnelg (Jetty road) and it's fine (and quicker) than the linear park.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?
User avatar
Verbs & Nouns
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:13 am
Location: Australia, South

Re: Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby bepboy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:18 am

Check this site out - it shows all the bike tracks, lanes etc
http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport% ... cling+maps
-------------------------------
ego veho ergo exsisto
User avatar
bepboy
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:37 am
Location: Adelaide

Re: Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby Biffidus » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:04 pm

Verbs & Nouns wrote:Following the tram line is a much better way, pretty easy (once you know your way) and it'll bring you up near Wayville Showgrounds. We rode this route yesterday from Gelnelg (Jetty road) and it's fine (and quicker) than the linear park.

which way did you go around the Morphetville Race Course?
User avatar
Biffidus
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:20 pm
Location: RADelaide

Re: Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:30 am

Along the tram line, kind of between Anzac Highway and the racecourse. There’s a new path that goes behind McDonald’s.
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?
User avatar
Verbs & Nouns
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:13 am
Location: Australia, South

Re: Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby matth » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:45 pm

Which side of th tram line is it (Anzac or Racecourse side). Googlemaps doesn't show the path ?

You wouldn't have a Bikely map by any chance. I'm planning on taking a couple of test rides over the Xmas break, but with the detail on Googlemaps it is hard to pick the best path. This is one I did but not sure of the accuracy http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/370524
User avatar
matth
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: Adelaide, SA

Re: Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby boyracer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:27 pm

Verbs & Nouns wrote:Along the tram line, kind of between Anzac Highway and the racecourse. There’s a new path that goes behind McDonald’s.


lovin' that new run behind maccas. i can get from home in unley to work at glenelg, now without hitting a main road in roughly same time as anzac 'death race' highway.
User avatar
boyracer
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby matth » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Which route do you take from Unley... I'm currently using Cross Road then the new path behind Maccas and along the tramline but am looking for alternatives to mix it up ?

Do you have a bikely route ?
User avatar
matth
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: Adelaide, SA

Re: Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby boyracer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:26 pm

matth wrote:Which route do you take from Unley... I'm currently using Cross Road then the new path behind Maccas and along the tramline but am looking for alternatives to mix it up ?

Do you have a bikely route ?


uhh,no i have a street directory...
from greenhill/kw rd usually take bike path to goodie rd, cross to the right of the tramway (railway tce) to south rd using train station subway. then glengyle to beckham, switch back to left of tram tracks and ever onward to race track. 22 mins best time to jetty rd. where do you work?
User avatar
boyracer
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Best commute from Glenelg to Greenhill Road

Postby matth » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:02 pm

I work just off Greenhill Road but comute to Glenelg to pick up my car. I'm just looking at alretnatives to break it up.
User avatar
matth
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: Adelaide, SA


Return to South Australia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter