Best Route?: Elizabeth to City

Best Route?: Elizabeth to City

Postby cuttsnake » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:29 pm

I've been thinking about riding into Adelaide from Elizabeth (for a whole bunch of reasons that have nothing to do with work) and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions about the best route to use. What bike lanes there are appear to be inconsistent at best, and the routes I know all arterial roads with 80 km/h limits. There must be someone who has or does travel at least part of the way that could provide some guidance.

Thanks.
Cuttsy.

I've worked very hard to achieve this level of mediocrity.
cuttsnake

by BNA » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:01 am

BNA

Re: Best Route?: Elizabeth to City

Postby gdt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:01 am

Not quite Elizabeth, but I've used this in the past. Salisbury Hwy (bike lane); Elder Smith Dr (bike lane); Mawson Lks Bvld (bike lane); Main N Rd (partly in traffic); Superdrome bike path; Radford, Kent, Robert, Galway Sts (same direction, just name changes, bike lane), Burnington (?) St (bike lane); Linear Park (bike path); Frome Rd (bike path, sort of) or Kintore Av (bike lane, but easier traffic lights).

I'm assuming you know of the free BikeDirect maps on the SA Gov web?

I'd be really interested if someone has a nice route with less messing about.
gdt

Postby cuttsnake » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:57 am

Thanks, that sounds similar to one route I was thinking of, although I hadn't thought as far as where to go once I got to the city. I had wondered about Salisbury Hwy, Pt Wakefield Rd, Churchill Rd and scooting past the Aquatic Centre - just a bit unsure about Pt Wakefield Rd :?

I did stumble across the Bike Direct web site, but haven't had a proper squiz at it yet (looks like I need to).
Cuttsy.

cuttsnake

Postby candy08 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:15 pm

I ride from eliz fairly reg and generally go salisbury highway , the last portion of pt wakefield and then Churchill rd. The majority of sals hw has bike lanes, pr wakefield doesnt but it is 3 lanes then dies down to 2. Churchill rd is a good alternative to main north.

If you ever want to go on a ride ( training ride or whatever) hit me up with a pm......theres not a huge amount of riders here in eliz.
candy08

Postby Biffidus » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:51 pm

I do the opposite direction to work three morning a week.

I stay off the main roads and take a few shortcuts so if you don't mind a few gravel paths and jumping the odd gutter you could try my route. It's about 25km as shown.

Edit: I added some notes in where I'm not on marked roads.
Biffidus

Postby cuttsnake » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks guys. It looks like I need to do some exploring to familiarise myself with these options. Mawson lakes and the back of the Velodrome are all uncharted territory for me. (Not that an excuse is required to go for a ride.)
Cuttsy.

cuttsnake

Postby Biffidus » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:09 pm

Oh yeah, the other advantage of the route I use is that I can jump on the train if I get a flat... I managed 12 months of commuting before I had to resort to that!
Biffidus

Return to South Australia