Mini Slam #5 - 109km on 21st October !!!

Mini Slam #5 - 109km on 21st October !!!

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:40 pm

Fresh off the challenge and success with the Mini Slam #4, here is the route (provisional) for the last event of the series.

The route starts aty Littlehampton in the Adelaide Hills, and takes in a 109km loop through Echunga, Meadows, Nangkita, Ashbourne, Strathalbyn, Wistow & Mt Barker before finishing at Littlehampton.

For those brave enough, there is then a further 94km loop to do as well. My legs and brain cells can't cope with that, so the 109km it is.

Route Map - Mini Slam #5

Bit of a hill at the end (2.3%, but long at about 15km :shock: ), but not much uphill before that ......
MichaelB

by BNA » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:17 pm

BNA

Postby stevos » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:17 pm

:lol: id like to set myself the challenge and ride the 200km ride :lol:

seriously thinking about it will train hard and see what i can come up with, lol :lol:
if not the 100km will do for my first event :P
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." -Lance Armstrong
stevos

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:55 am

My motto is "slowly, slowly catchey monkey"

Buggered if I know where it comes from, but for me, discretion is the better part of valour, and achieving 109km in one go will be a very good result.

Once you do loop 1, then you can choose to do loop 2.

Even averaging 25km/hr, 200km is 8 hours in the saddle :shock:

As I mentioned elsewhere, for me, this si spart of the buildup to the TdU Challenge Stage in Jan 2008.

So far the 72km Mini Slam #4 is done, the next will be the 109km Mini Slam #5 in October, then the 120km Sea to Vines (big hill at the beginning much like TdU), and then the 134km TdU Challenge stage.

For me, the idea of 6hrs in the saddle will be enough, I don't NEED to go further !!

Anyway, join in, you'll love it.
MichaelB

Postby stevos » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:55 pm

:D i just want to do it for the satisfaction of it all :P dont care how long it takes me
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." -Lance Armstrong
stevos

Postby Deanj » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:06 pm

Cheers for the link in the other post michael, only just started road cycling with the aim of entering the TDU stage and checking the profile of this route it should be good ride!
Deanj

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:55 pm

Well the time is nearing and I'm gearing up.

Have already done one century ride, and will try for another again this weekend in preparation.

The long hill at the end sucks a bit, but it is only about 2 and a bit % gradient, so should be OK.

Hopefully the weather holds out.

Anyone else from here going ?

Aim is to be complete in less than 4 hours !!
MichaelB

Postby Deanj » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:25 pm

I'm all booked in, only planning to do the 100km. Hopefully the mornings will warm up by next week as had a few near frosts up here at the beginning of this week. Once we've got up and over old mount barker road should be good going to Strathalbyn.
Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:39 pm

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/local/loc ... c&lc=13144

Things are looking good for a nice morning.
Deanj

Postby europa » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:50 pm

I've got the kids next weekend and the lad has trials with two soccer clubs on that day (four hours of soccer trials on one day - methinks he'll sleep well that night).

Have fun.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby stevos » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:38 pm

wont be riding in it, ill be doing crits instead :lol:
stevos

Postby Deanj » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:17 pm

europa wrote:I've got the kids next weekend and the lad has trials with two soccer clubs on that day (four hours of soccer trials on one day - methinks he'll sleep well that night).

Richard

Lock them in the shed till you get back! That website's got a nasty habit of changing a couple of days before though.
Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:29 pm

stevos wrote:wont be riding in it, ill be doing crits instead :lol:

Hows the best way of finding out about racing in Adelaide? Been on a few club pages websites but they don't seem to be kept up to date.
Deanj

Postby stevos » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:13 pm

where abouts are you located?

Port Adelaide Cycling Club is the best but im a bit biased :lol:

this is the best site for all up to date info and race calendar http://www.sa.cycling.org.au/
stevos

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:32 am

MichaelB wrote:Well the time is nearing and I'm gearing up.

Have already done one century ride, and will try for another again this weekend in preparation.

Well, completed the 2nd century so far.

Did 108.3km friding to Willnga & return on the veloway. Bloody hills and headwinds.

The morning may be cold, but it will warm up pretty quick.

Just because you got the kids Ricahrd, don't be a wuss. Starp on the trailer, tie $50 to the front of the lads bike and go !!!!
MichaelB

Postby europa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:31 am

I'd happily take the kids, but the lad has two soccer trials that day, both critical because now is when the teams are chosen for next year and if he doesn't get picked up by one of the two clubs, he'll be playing school soccer next year (and that's worse than dreadful in this end of town). This is the most important week of the soccer year for him. Starting wednesday, he has a trial on every day except saturday. At least that's the end of it ... except the club he wants to get into starts pre-season training in december :shock: (the season doesn't start till second term next year).

Richard
europa

Postby khendar » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:30 am

That's a cool site (Bikely.com) I was wondering if there was a site like this around. If there wasn't I was going to make one :)

Looks like a nice ride, but I am in no sort of shape for that kind of trek.
khendar

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:32 pm

khendar wrote:That's a cool site (Bikely.com) I was wondering if there was a site like this around. If there wasn't I was going to make one :)

Give it a go.

You'll be surprised by the size, shape and age (particularly) of people participating.

At the last one, I had to distance myself from a guy who was about 70 or so, as the 72km was enough for me - bah, he was doing the full 150 !!!!
MichaelB

Postby khendar » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:20 pm

MichaelB wrote:
khendar wrote:That's a cool site (Bikely.com) I was wondering if there was a site like this around. If there wasn't I was going to make one :)

Give it a go.

You'll be surprised by the size, shape and age (particularly) of people participating.

At the last one, I had to distance myself from a guy who was about 70 or so, as the 72km was enough for me - bah, he was doing the full 150 !!!!

Considering I haven't ridden for several years and I only got my bike on Saturday, I think I need a little time to ease into it =P
khendar

Postby Deanj » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:12 pm

stevos wrote:where abouts are you located?

Port Adelaide Cycling Club is the best but im a bit biased :lol:

this is the best site for all up to date info and race calendar http://www.sa.cycling.org.au/

Cheers for that, I'm at mt barker so would probably head for the nearest club. Think I'll head down and watch a few races first though to see how things go.

I've just given this ride some thought, I'm going to have to get up at 4.30 :shock:
Deanj

Postby europa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:33 pm

Go to our home site http://www.bicycles.net.au (or just click the big blue banner on the top left). Christopher has links to a number of clubs in South Australia - the Norwood Club is out your way and very active. To be honest, I haven't bothered to go see if there are some closer to you.

Richard
europa

Postby Deanj » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:47 pm

I'd forgot all that info was there, my bookmark brings me straight into the forum.
Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:15 pm

Hmmm, the temp is still looking good but the weather has changed to windy. Hopefully it will be blowing behind us!
Deanj

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:23 am

needsapush wrote:Hmmm, the temp is still looking good but the weather has changed to windy. Hopefully it will be blowing behind us!

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Ride report
MichaelB

Return to South Australia