Take care descending Norton Summit

Dazzman

Take care descending Norton Summit

Postby Dazzman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:41 pm

Just warning everyone to take care when coming down Norton Summit - with all the winds recently there is quite a bit of tree branch debris on the road, particularly on some of the sharp bends in the steeper sections. I was on my way up last night & witnessed an almighty stack by a rider coming down, on the corner just below the Teringie Drive turnoff. Stopped to help with 2 other riders - poor guy had a nasty injury on his cheekbone & his helmet had almost split in two. Bike had been pretty much trashed as well. So take it easy everyone...
2011 S-Works Tarmac
2013 Specialized Carve Pro 29er
1996 Giant ATX 890 MTB

MichaelB

Re: Take care descending Norton Summit

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

Probably applies to may of the routes in the Hills including Mt Lofty et al.

Hope the guy is OK.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Yup thanks.

I usually like going down there faaaast. Anyone else noticed how absolutely cr4p the road is lower down (Windmill Park and Pony Club) from gum tree roots heaving the tarmac into little ridges? It used to be lovely down there, but the whole road has deteriorated in the last 3 or 4 years.

dirty_harry

Postby dirty_harry » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:38 pm

shure have rusty, i rode down there for the first time a few weeks ago (even though i live in lobe) and the road is pretty crap even compared to the rough hills standards (not that nice hot mix in the city) but it is definately bumpy
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009
Red, Pinarello Sestriere, 2000
Trek 1500 ultegra gear, 2005
given the choice, would you rather share the roads with a woman texting in her four-wheel-drive, a manic truckie, a boy in a grey-import turbo, or a cyclist?

318ute

Postby 318ute » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:00 pm

As a hills dweller myself, after a windy night I always ride slower looking for trouble on the road..and it will be there somewhere along the ride! :shock:
Part of my commute (5.30-5.45am) is through the Belair National Park and inside the park on the black stuff, there is all kinds of crap and not unusual to have trees laying across the road as an added obstacle to the local wildlife!
After a wet and or windy night I always ride expecting a problem around the next corner.. :evil:
Steve.

Merida 905, Giant Xtc2, Trek 3900

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:53 am

rustychisel wrote:Yup thanks.

I usually like going down there faaaast. Anyone else noticed how absolutely cr4p the road is lower down (Windmill Park and Pony Club) from gum tree roots heaving the tarmac into little ridges? It used to be lovely down there, but the whole road has deteriorated in the last 3 or 4 years.
Yep, hence sometimes prefer to head down Old Norton Summit Rd - much smoother and ends up at the same point :)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:19 pm

and whats with the gorge rd surface? saw a few nasty stacks down there on the ride like crazy event...

with respect to norton summit, there is also some roadworks being done on the road, mainly on the descent side, so just watch out for that too...

318ute

Postby 318ute » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:43 pm

If you have not been into the Belair National Park of late, take care coming down saddle hill road, there are fresh strips of bitumen layed and a lot of lose rubbish and holes around.. :!:
Steve.

Merida 905, Giant Xtc2, Trek 3900