waves

waves

Postby alex » Mon May 31, 2010 10:30 am

i really hate it when i go out for a ride and people going the other way dont wave at me and/or check out my apparel and bicycle

i need the validation from the cycling community that i am fitting in

so if you see someone riding make sure you wave
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex

by BNA » Mon May 31, 2010 12:15 pm

BNA

Re: waves

Postby brauluver » Mon May 31, 2010 12:15 pm

^^^^
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You bored mate?
brauluver

Postby Patdys » Mon May 31, 2010 12:26 pm

alex wrote:i really hate it when i go out for a ride and people going the other way dont wave at me and/or check out my apparel and bicycle

i need the validation from the cycling community that i am fitting in

so if you see someone riding make sure you wave

It's personal. :mrgreen:
05 Azzuri Primo (bought in 08)
10 BMC Team Machine
Patdys

Postby -tim » Mon May 31, 2010 12:26 pm

Particularly when descending a technical section of a hill or in a tightly formed bunch ride. Get your hands off the bars and wave!
-tim

Postby alex » Mon May 31, 2010 12:34 pm

-tim wrote:Particularly when descending a technical section of a hill or in a tightly formed bunch ride. Get your hands off the bars and wave!

i have also seen non wavers in peak hour traffic and doing specific interval training. how am i supposed to be validated by the cycling culture if they don't wave back? it really is humiliating, like when you go to shake someone's hand and they just leave you hanging.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex

Postby m@ » Mon May 31, 2010 4:16 pm

I like to trick commuters on mountain bikes by lifting a finger off the hood in a wave-like fashion, then when they wave back I pretend I was just adjusting my helmet strap and act like I never saw 'em. Suckers! :mrgreen:
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby trailgumby » Mon May 31, 2010 6:25 pm

I like to trick road bikers by climbing up the hill faster than them ... on my mountain bike... and waving as I go past. :mrgreen:

Doesn't happen anywhere near as often as I'd like though...
trailgumby

Postby avalon » Mon May 31, 2010 6:33 pm

I'll wave at anyone, I don't care what you ride or what you wear. Were a friendly bunch up here in the hills.

Michael.
avalon

Postby arkle » Mon May 31, 2010 8:09 pm

avalon wrote:I'll wave at anyone, I don't care what you ride or what you wear. Were a friendly bunch up here in the hills.

Michael.

Ditto. Did you wave at me as I struggled up Greenhill Rd on my mountain bike from Balhannah to Mt Lofty on Sunday morning in the pouring rain and gale force wind? Two did, five didn't.

arkle
arkle

Postby Richard.L » Mon May 31, 2010 9:00 pm

Depends what mood im in :roll:
You will often see me along the esplanade around 11am
Richard.L

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:16 am

i think any non-wavers need to pull their head outta their bum
Dr_Mutley

Postby alex » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:33 am

i usually wave at cyclists, pedestrians and other motorists when i am in the car too.
alex

Postby davidk » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:42 pm

I dont return waves.....

I nod instead, trying oh so desperately to look uber cool 8) - probably doesnt work for me sadly - I Im probably never going to pull of looking cool.

Either that, or Im so stuffed and puffed out that I would fail to notice a slap in the face with a wet stick of celery, let alone anyone else waving to me.
Ill be the guy that everyone passes, as I struggle up Norton Summit at an incredible 9kph average, with mountain bikes, flat bars, and young kids on BSO's all overtaking me.
davidk

Postby matth » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:51 pm

I try to wave, or at least partially raise my hand off the bars (normally when decending at a rate of knots) to aknowledge riders as we pass... I get a mixed reaction in return but figure I'll keep trying
matth

Postby brauluver » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:23 pm

Yeah... well.....I'm so conceited and in need of validation I wave to myself(reflection) in shop windows as I pass them.
brauluver

Postby alex » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:32 am

brauluver wrote:Yeah... well.....I'm so conceited and in need of validation I wave to myself(reflection) in shop windows as I pass them.

same, usually only after a long session of non acknowledgement though

when people don't wave back to me all i can think about is getting on the forum and posting about it
alex

Postby tripstobaltimore » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:15 pm

brauluver wrote:Yeah... well.....I'm so conceited and in need of validation I wave to myself(reflection) in shop windows as I pass them.

I carry a mirror on my bicycle so I can always be sure I look euro pro
tripstobaltimore

Postby Missy24 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:19 pm

I get paranoid when other cyclists look at me... I don't look at you, and I especially don't acknowledge you unless I'm riding with you...
Missy24

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Except it isn't euro pro to have a mirror ... :lol:
trailgumby

Postby shiv » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:18 pm

Missy24 wrote:I get paranoid when other cyclists look at me... I don't look at you, and I especially don't acknowledge you unless I'm riding with you...

How can you resist checking others out? Im always looking at other bikes, usually out of jealousy.
shiv

Postby Missy24 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:44 pm

shiv wrote:
Missy24 wrote:I get paranoid when other cyclists look at me... I don't look at you, and I especially don't acknowledge you unless I'm riding with you...

How can you resist checking others out? Im always looking at other bikes, usually out of jealousy.

What are you kiding me? You should see some of the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! on Royal Pde in the mornings on my commute, and I mean !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, I look at others on the blvd and beach road (almost crashed the other day check out a Slice.... sxy)
Missy24

Postby brauluver » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Yeah ,I find most of the other commuters on the linear path are riding generic dross in the arvo as i head home.except today i encountered a dude on a shite hot C'dale "badboy" who blew me way with his geared superiority .I was ogling his lefty fork at the lights as we left the pathway until I saw he had a mirror on his lid and was watching me drool over his bike.Ba$tard!
brauluver

Postby shiv » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:43 am

On this mornings ride along the beach I had a serious guy on his mega buck tri bike all decked out in super elliots gear give me a smile and nod whilst obviously working hard. Then on return leg a guy on an alloy roadie just cruising along look directly at me and ignore my nod and smile. And he had yellow lensed glasses so I made proper eye contact with him yet still failed to acknowledge me. !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!.

why are some people so full of themselves when we are all out there doing the same thing for reasons?
shiv

Postby brauluver » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:31 pm

shiv wrote:
why are some people so full of themselves when we are all out there doing the same thing for reasons?

Some people's general arrogance, transcends the common denominator.
brauluver

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Riding past the Pat tonight, got a really enthusiastic wave from some guy on the bike pah.

However Alex, if you are happy with waving at yourself (as you'll at least get a response everytime), is to ride past Conci Furniture on Sir Donald Bradman drive, or Keen Office furniture on Richmond Rd for good window waving !!!
MichaelB

Next

Return to South Australia