Amy's Ride 2010 (Adeliade)

MichaelB

Re: Amy's Ride 2010 (Adeliade)

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:06 pm

liamb wrote: ....

Cant agree more as a very new cycle rider I am amazed at how badly I have been treated by other cyclists on the roads. NOT everyone can be perfectly fit and knowledgeable of a sport the first few times trying it!. Of all the sports I have tried this has been the most negative intro, having said that I am sure there are heaps of much nicer guys and girls out there.

There are some arrogant dorks out there, but same as in anything, and I consider myself one of the good ones.

Don't worry about the tossers, just ride and enjoy it.

See ya on Sunday !!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:07 pm

williamsf1 wrote:It will be like doing a Giro stage.... strada bianche!!!!!!
Hopefully without the rain.

So, what is an aussie version of " Strada Bianchi " ? ......

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:14 pm

aussie version " white crappy rutted dirt roads maaaaate "

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:16 pm

liamb

Postby liamb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:22 pm

might need to swap the 3 month old road bike for the 9 year old MTB in the back of the shed somewhere then?? :lol:
Either way good or bad roads I cant wait and I want to meet all these "good" guys and girls so I cant get out and have some fun rides not looking over my shoulder all the time waiting for a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! to kick me as they ride by.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:25 pm

Nah, easy on a road bike. It's all in the way you ride it.

Did anyone else do the gravel section of the 2004 TDU ride, after Myponga dam? That was a fun interlude.

davidk

Postby davidk » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:50 pm

liamb wrote:might need to swap the 3 month old road bike for the 9 year old MTB in the back of the shed somewhere then?? :lol:
Either way good or bad roads I cant wait and I want to meet all these "good" guys and girls so I cant get out and have some fun rides not looking over my shoulder all the time waiting for a w****r to kick me as they ride by.

Bill
You seriously have had that happen? Where do you ride?

The only problems I have had on the road, after only riding for 9 months are bogans in cars (and 1 bus :-( ) - spitting at me, trying to drive close enough so that the Bogan's large dogs can snap at me out the side of his ute, or spray Mt Franklin bottled water all over me whilst driving, or deliberately driving closer and closer to me in the bike lane to force me to stop (a bus did that too!)
All of this has happened to me up in Golden Grove (apart from the bus, which was down Anzac hiway) - I have never had any issues with other bike riders

I look forward to the Amy ride free of cars, buses and Bogans, for at least some of the route :-)

SeanB

Postby SeanB » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:23 pm

anyone know the times the expressway is closed?

would it be too cheeky to jump on it for my ride to the start or at least for a bomb down the hill? :wink:

limetang

Postby limetang » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:46 pm

SeanB wrote:anyone know the times the expressway is closed?

would it be too cheeky to jump on it for my ride to the start or at least for a bomb down the hill? :wink:
Flagstaff Hill Rd is fast enough for me :lol:

Still feeling terrible, but Im riding nonetheless. Picked up jersey today, if Im struggling by the time I get to Willunga I might just finish 60km.

liamb

Postby liamb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Yep had a few tossers bag my kit and the way I was trying to climb a hill but never offered advice. Must be living out north Modbury that does it wish I was back south or could find nice northerners to ride with :lol: really though I just need to find some people who don't mind riding with a beginner
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:32 pm

limetang wrote:
SeanB wrote:anyone know the times the expressway is closed?

Flagstaff Hill Rd is fast enough for me :lol:

Still feeling terrible, but Im riding nonetheless. Picked up jersey today, if Im struggling by the time I get to Willunga I might just finish 60km.
What would Jens do?

Looking forward to Sunday, haven't been on the bike all week far too busy at work and tomorrow I'm putting down a front lawn. It'll be a breeze going up Willunga after the week I've had :P .
I like the idea of riding down the S Expressway, might avoid that magpie at Majors Rd that way.

limetang

Postby limetang » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:50 pm

Looks like we lost all the post ride comments on here!

Ah well, I can remember the ride better now, in particular the descent, saw a few guys in saxo bank jerseys have some trouble.....
Looking forward to photos (be like finding a needle in a haystack but anyways..)

http://www.epsomrdstudios.com.au/

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:09 pm

I have no luck with photos as I'm always tucked in behind someone....
It's going to be categorized by time so hopefully you took note of what time it was when they snapped you limetag :lol:

http://www.epsomrdstudios.com.au/new/ma ... mId=120207

SeanB

Postby SeanB » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:36 pm

oh cool! found a pic of me already. Will wait for them all to be uploaded before maybe purchasing though.

limetang

Postby limetang » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:44 pm

Found 1 so far but whoa, way too hard! If i find a decent one maybe I will link it

*OFFICIAL COMPETITION - Best photo Amy's ride 2010*

As far as Im concerned, any pic containing the she-devil would win it ! :lol:

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:09 pm

limetang wrote:Found 1 so far but whoa, way too hard! If i find a decent one maybe I will link it

*OFFICIAL COMPETITION - Best photo Amy's ride 2010*

As far as Im concerned, any pic containing the she-devil would win it ! :lol:
Me and the she devil, I'm second from the right.

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:47 pm

limetang wrote:Looks like we lost all the post ride comments on here!

Ah well, I can remember the ride better now, in particular the descent, saw a few guys in saxo bank jerseys have some trouble.....
Looking forward to photos (be like finding a needle in a haystack but anyways..)

yep the saxo flavoured riders ate some dirt on the hill ;)

140km for us on the day and 70+ the day before was a decent weekend in the best weather so far this spring!!!

an amazing 7200 Cal. burnt....

an excellent ride, and only a few fools trying to race...

liamb

Postby liamb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:00 am

I cant see any pics on the site, do you need an account to see the thumbnails?

Bill

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:45 am

liamb wrote:I cant see any pics on the site, do you need an account to see the thumbnails?

Bill
I don't have an account and can see all the thumbnails.

SeanB

Postby SeanB » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:55 am

liamb wrote:I cant see any pics on the site, do you need an account to see the thumbnails?

Bill
go to the link richard posted (http://www.epsomrdstudios.com.au/new/ma ... mId=120207)

in my browser (firefox) the site is a bit broken and i need to scroll to the right to see the images. it's not obvious, i only noticed because the scroll bar at the bottom of my window.

try that?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:28 am

Had a great day, but just missed out on my target time. Finished in 3:33 (but had to wait for one of my mates as he was struggling a bit after Willunga Hill), and was a bit spent.

No-one passed me going up Willunga, and managed to pass some very expensive bikes shod with deep section carbon rims, not bad for a fatty !!!

Made use of the free massage :D which made the ride back easier, but it wasn't quick.

147km for me on the day and 45 the day before for a week total of 267 !!

Again, hats off the BikeSA, as evereything was done brilliantly. Can't wait for next year.

Oh, and hats off to the Penny farthing riders and the 3 unicyclists (nutters !!!)

Saw no accidents, but plenty of flats, none of which were mine :mrgreen:

3rdKogCruiser

Postby 3rdKogCruiser » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:01 am

Speaking of flats on the ride, I picked up someone's pump from the side of the road. Anyone who lost a pump - get me a PM, describing it, and we can sort out its return/pickup. No guarantees after a month, though.
- Ciao; 3rd Kog.("I'm not racing, just trying to catch the dude up ahead")
Now: Avanti Monza (to keep up with Pinarello riders), Shogun Metro (+ tag-along)
B4: Phillips Multi-track (really bad, but got me back into riding)

liamb

Postby liamb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:16 am

Got it now imagine that scan to the right not down or up. You gotta love software!!!!

Bill

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:47 am

liamb wrote:Got it now imagine that scan to the right not down or up. You gotta love software!!!!

Bill
Que ? :?:

davidk

Postby davidk » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:52 am

This was my first organised ride, and I had an absolute blast.
I didnt anticipate how many people would actually turn up, or how busy or congested the roads would be.

The organisation of the ride was absolutely fantastic - well done BikeSA.

As I didnt know what to expect, and that Ive only just completed my first 100km (on the flat) the other weekend, I decided to only do the 65km ride.
By the time I got to the 2nd rest stop, I was kicking myself for not choosing the 100km - I was feeling great after completing Hahn Rd and Aldinga Rd.

I have learnt a few lessons for next year's ride though. I started in the bunch right were the 25kph' group sign was posted on University Drive, and spent most of the climb up the expressway dodging lots of other riders grinding their way up the incline. I think Ill start close to the 30kph bunch

I averaged 28.1kph, although I reckon if I had tried I could have posted a slightly faster average.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/55774571

WRT the photos at Epson Rd Studio website, can anyone post pictures from Google maps satellite where the camera positions were? That way, I should be able to work out which time group I should start looking through to see if I ended up in any of the shots.

Thanks
David

David