Norton Summit

Norton Summit

Postby liamb » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi All

very new to the road cycling but loving it so far. Had a crack at Norton Summit today. Rode from Modbury to Norton Summit then Marble Hill then Montacute road then back home. Without stopping at the bottom of the summit I mad it up in 30mins slowest I recorded was 10km/hr. I know everyone is different but being new to it and having not ridden with anyone else I have no idea if this is good bad or otherwise. I was passed by 2 blokes on the way up but I have an idea they were very fit as i was pulling 13km/hr in a steep climb and they went past me like I was standing still. Would be interested to know what average weekend warroirs do it in so i have a target to improve to.

Cheers

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!
liamb

by BNA » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:00 am

BNA

Re: Norton Summit

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:00 am

have a look here for other times
Philip
ˈfiləp/ a movement made by bending the last joint of a finger against the thumb and suddenly releasing it
Clydesdale Scot

Postby Richard.L » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:04 am

At least you smashed the guy that did it in 14hrs :shock:
Richard.L

Postby Jeremy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:06 am

Where did you time yourself Bill?
Assuming you are using the lines on the road.....the old TT markers, though they are a bit faded at the moment.

When I first started out, I think i did it in around 24min.....my dad used to do it in about 27-30 (not quite sure why he varied so much from day to day :)
We used to do it every week....it's a great way to both work on different techniques (like pacing yourself) and guage how your fitness and strength are improving.
Jeremy

Postby liamb » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:28 pm

I hit reset on my stop watch as I rode onto the Norton Summit road and pressed stop as i passed the Cafe at the top as I rode onto the Lobethal road. It was 29mins 28 seconds. I didnt know about any lines or timing markers as I have only been into cycling for a few months and didnt do any research into the times.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!
liamb

Postby liamb » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:40 pm

Had a look at those times and I have a target not to get it down to 20mins. I dont know have much a 34year old can improve but I know for sure I can and need to get alot fitter than I am now.

Bill
liamb

Postby Jeremy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Hehe, If you time yourself at the same points as everyone else, you might be pleasantly surprised! :)

We only time ourselves from the start of the road to the driveway of first house on left after the 'cliff drop offs' which are also on the left, number 169......i think the number is painted on a big tree....there is a line painted on the road too....you cant miss it ;)

time between those two points and get back to us ;)
Jeremy

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:56 pm

Bill, the course is set out at
http://www.cycle2max.com/bike-hill-clim ... spx?id=602
    "Go straight up Magill Road to Intersection of the Old and New Norton Summit Roads. Turn Left onto Norton Summit Rd.
    Start Point: cnr. Old Norton Summit and new Norton Summit Rd., rolling
    End point: driveway of first house on left after the 'cliff drop offs' which are also on the left, number 169"
start point rolling start
the end point is the white line on the road outside No 169
Philip
ˈfiləp/ a movement made by bending the last joint of a finger against the thumb and suddenly releasing it
Clydesdale Scot

Postby liamb » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:25 pm

well that just means I will have to modify my time to suit the shorter length of the official timing markers. I needed a gps timer so I could take times at the right points.
Either way I am timing myself from the start of the road to the cafe because thats where i started, and will modify my goal time to 25mins to begin with.

Bill
liamb

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:22 am

or you could use your timing points to measure your progress, or not worry about times; as any time I ride Norton Summit is as part of a much longer ride where I need to retain some energy for later hills and the return ride.
Nothing to do with my weight :wink:
Philip
Clydesdale Scot

Postby liamb » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:46 am

I will only time the climb when I do the ride I listed at the start of the post for that reason. I am sure I will do it in other rides but on those I will take time to enjoy the view a bit more.

Bill
liamb

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:58 am

liamb wrote: ...Either way I am timing myself from the start of the road to the cafe because thats where i started, and will modify my goal time to 25mins to begin with.

Bill

That's the markers I use. It's easy to work out.

Normally 26 min for me, but a few months ago managed to do a 23:20, and still got passed by an older guy on an Orbea (damn fit though).

It's a great ride early in the mroning. I normally head up to Mt Lofty via Woods Hill Rd and Summertown.
MichaelB

Postby rustychisel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:29 am

Yes, I did Norton Summit and Marble Hill/Montacute on Sat morning.... lovely ride. Don't worry about times too much, the fitness and strength from hills work will come. I'm getting older (heh hhe ain't that the truth) and seem to be able to get to 12~14kmh for the climb, which is somewhere near an average for all the thousands of riders who do it every week.

NOTE: had pinch flat on Montacute, coming down through the valley there's a washaway (water spring dribbling from the hillside) in the last 2 kilometres before you crest at the Maryvale rd intersection. A couple of hundred metres below that washaway there's a very sharp ridge (tree root?) in the tarmac on the left side of the road. Gave me a pinch flat which I didn't realise until I almost dumped into the roundabout at the bottom at about 45kmh. The front tyre was down to about 20psi and I slalomed across the road. Beware.
rustychisel

Postby liamb » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:39 am

Rusty I think I hit the same bump shook me up and i got off the bike to check the wheels were still true and the new tyres were ok. I am really gutless going down hill :oops: so I hit it at about 40km/hr but man it was a shock. good to hear you didnt come unstuck :D
Bill
liamb

Postby rustychisel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:45 am

hmmm, okay, that's a report needed then. Glad you're okay. I usually ride down through the valley at 50~55kmh and probably hit it at the low side of that. Both hands on the bars but I got quite a jolt out of it. And the pinch flat as discovered later.

Now reported to Campbelltown Council; lets see if they get it fixed quick. Sorry to thread hijack Bill
rustychisel

Postby liamb » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:11 am

fine by me hijack away for sure, especially for things like that
I was so happy with myself for having a go I forgot the "bump" along the way. I was more impressed seeing the the guys riding the other way man that seems like a tough climb. I will be trying that in the months coming up.

Bill
liamb

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:53 am

Now that you know Norton Summit, get brave, and go straight rather than turn left. Last km and a bit are hard work !!!!

Great coming down though !!!!
MichaelB

Postby liamb » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:13 am

Now that you know Norton Summit, get brave, and go straight rather than turn left. Last km and a bit are hard work !!!!

Great coming down though !!!!

Turn left where abouts? at the top near the cafe or after that? road name

Bill
liamb

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:16 pm

liamb wrote:Turn left where abouts? at the top near the cafe or after that? road name

Bill

For the Ntn Summit climb, you turn left onto Norton Summit Rd from Magill Rd. If you keep going straight ahead, it becomes Old Norton Summit Rd.

It ends up at the Cafe at the junction where it turns into Adelaide-Lobethal Rd.
MichaelB

Postby eeksll » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:49 pm

the line is not that noticeable, I completely missed it the first time I was looking for it.
The second time I saw the house first and I still had to search for the line.
I have ridden it 4-5 times but only timed it these 2 times as someone pointed the website out to me

I did it in just under 20 minutes and then it took me another 5:30 to get to the summit. The first time I did it (and could not find the line) I got to the summit in just under 27 minutes.

I dont really like coming down it, I have only been down it twice though, I dont really know the corners, the roads are bumpy and I am constantly scared and on the brakes :(
eeksll

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:50 am

eeksll wrote:I dont really like coming down it, I have only been down it twice though, I dont really know the corners, the roads are bumpy and I am constantly scared and on the brakes :(

I find the camber on some of the corners a problem, as is the quality of the surface.
I much prefer to go down Old Norton Summit Rd.
my last ride is below
Starts from the Norton Summit Hotel, finishes at the intersection of Old and New Norton Summit Rds
If you want to take the MichaelB challenge of riding UP Old Norton Summit Rd, you can see from the chart the elevation change (just reverse the grade %)
You can see how slowly I approach the section to the tight hairpin, then I put in a bit of effort to bring up the speed (with a lag in the HR clearly evident) in the middle section.
Philip
Clydesdale Scot

Postby liamb » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:13 am

"I dont really like coming down it, I have only been down it twice though, I dont really know the corners, the roads are bumpy and I am constantly scared and on the brakes :("

eeksll you should try my route. When I was young a dumb I used to ride motor bikes or drive my cars up and down Norton Summit and found it not as much fun as Montacute. Montacute is a bit more friendly but just a quick and dont get me wrong I am as soft as they come going down hills but I enjoyed Montacute on the weekend
liamb

Postby rustychisel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:53 am

liamb wrote: When I was young a dumb I used to ride motor bikes or drive my cars up and down Norton Summit

yeah, a guy I went to school with wrote off two or three Mini Cooper S on Norton Summit in the course of about 18 months...
rustychisel

Postby liamb » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:22 am

Never crashed my car or bike too gutless to waste my money but it was still stupid but being young and dumb I thought it was fun. Just makes me think of all the good roads I drove or rode would now be great on the Cycle.
Might try Norton again on Sunday morning if the Saturday ride is not too taxing. Just got to find a way to get more o2 into the lungs. Need to find a way to control the breathing better me thinks.

Bill
liamb

Postby eeksll » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:44 pm

liamb wrote:"I dont really like coming down it, I have only been down it twice though, I dont really know the corners, the roads are bumpy and I am constantly scared and on the brakes :("

eeksll you should try my route. When I was young a dumb I used to ride motor bikes or drive my cars up and down Norton Summit and found it not as much fun as Montacute. Montacute is a bit more friendly but just a quick and dont get me wrong I am as soft as they come going down hills but I enjoyed Montacute on the weekend

I think I might, only thing is I ride for 40 min to get to the base of norton summit so this ends up being quite a big ride, for me at least.

Well its only been last month or so where I have lost my nerve going down hill, likely due to me playing with my bike setup. Hoping Ill get my nerve back soon. my record is 76ish km/h coming down hill and I have only been riding for a year and a half ... so it really was not that long ago.
eeksll

Next

Return to South Australia