Be Careful riding on Payneham Road

silverlight

Be Careful riding on Payneham Road

Postby silverlight » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:18 pm

As per title be careful riding on Payneham road (Adelaide North East) during the mornings on the way to work.
I witnessed today a cyclist being hit and was not a pretty sight.

The same thing happened to me 3 years ago on the same road, the cars bank up due to traffic congestion allowing cars on other side of road to pass through doing a right hand turn into a side street and as they follow through they have no chance of seeing a cyclist riding, the rider has no chance of stopping in time and usually end up over the bonnet or smash into the side. I hit the passenger door and i wont forget how painful the injuries were. and its quite literally put me off riding to work since.

The fallen rider today was pretty shaken up but seemed to be conscious, the driver just as shaken. Great job by Ambulance arriving very quickly

bongo

Re: Be Careful riding on Payneham Road

Postby bongo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:48 pm

You certainly need your wits about you on such a busy road, there is a ghost bike just up from International Cycles, heading toward the city and I think there was a cyclist killed closer to the O.G road intersection in the wet last year? Not a fan of riding Payneham Rd myself, nor any major roads in the suburbs, give me the quiet roads of the hills anyday.Stay safe,

Aaron

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:47 am

yes, the quick 'right hook' and the 'left turn I'm outta here' are both lethal moves. Glad the cyclist survived. Payneham road isn't great in places, its true.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:20 am

There are some roads where it can be scary to drive, let alone ride.

Payneham Rd is one of them. Evne Goodwood Rd in spots is a no-go zone for me. Glad to hear the rider is apparently OK. Lucky escape

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:42 am

This applies to any road in traffic (Greenhill is especially bad too) It's prudent to always slow down and look for a car turning across traffic. Unfortunately motorists to and from work geenrally have a lot on their mind, and often don't even consider the chance of there being a cyclist. Glad to hear the cyclist is ok.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:28 am

Add Anzac hwy to the list between 4 & 7 pm and the usual morning peak times... Cars banked back and many quick dives up the bike lane by cars and motorbikes without warning...

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:59 am

tripstobaltimore wrote: Unfortunately motorists to and from work generally have nothing on or in their mind...
fixed that one for you :lol:

It was on Cross Road about 6 years ago when some bloke sailed across the intersection in front of me, oblivious, I missed his rear quarter by less than a metre, and took a calculated decision he might be going on one block then turning back my way one block, so I turned left at the next road on an interception course.

Imagine his surprise when the cyclist he'd almost killed (and shrugged off) stopped directly in front of him two blocks away and ordered him to turn off the ignition whilst the riot act was read, and a list of his infringements read out at volume, in front of bystanders. This bloke, an Unley Park suit, was in a black Range Rover, had a mug of coffee in the cup holder, the morning paper and a plate of toast on the passenger seat next to him, and was driving whilst doing up his tie.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:57 pm

rustychisel wrote:
tripstobaltimore wrote: Unfortunately motorists to and from work generally have nothing on or in their mind...
fixed that one for you :lol:

It was on Cross Road about 6 years ago when some bloke sailed across the intersection in front of me, oblivious, I missed his rear quarter by less than a metre, and took a calculated decision he might be going on one block then turning back my way one block, so I turned left at the next road on an interception course.

Imagine his surprise when the cyclist he'd almost killed (and shrugged off) stopped directly in front of him two blocks away and ordered him to turn off the ignition whilst the riot act was read, and a list of his infringements read out at volume, in front of bystanders. This bloke, an Unley Park suit, was in a black Range Rover, had a mug of coffee in the cup holder, the morning paper and a plate of toast on the passenger seat next to him, and was driving whilst doing up his tie.
ive given a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! driver a straight left thru his open window for less ;)

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:32 pm

This is sort of relevant to Payneham Rd

What is everyone's opinion with the Bus Lane on North TCE?
I was riding along the whole stretch of the bus lane with a car up my arse(i was 'claiming' the lane) and when i decided to move to the left he squished me into the gutter :shock:

I can see the council/police making thousands of dollars a day in fines if they monitor all the cars that use the "Bus Lane" as a short cut to turn left onto Hackney RD

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:09 pm

If that's whilst riding out of the city past Botanic Gardens, it's a no win area, that one. At 'some point' (never actually determined) it does become a left turn lane. Take the lane, always. F*** 'em

318ute

Postby 318ute » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:40 am

I am with the Rustychisel on this, take the lane and they can wait your pleasure, if we ride in the kerb they will still try crunch us to the kerb.
By taking the lane they cannot use the excuse "I didnt see the bike", or I was in a rush and didn't see the bike!!!
I mean we are all in a rush, our mode of transport is a personal choice, just because we use a bike does not mean we don't have to be at our destination at a certain time??
It amuses me to no end, when people "say your on a bike, so no rush for you" I go what makes you say that? I know how long it takes me to go from a to b and allow a certain amount of time and generally the only variable are punctres or d...h..d motorists.

Ride Safe!
Steve.

Merida 905, Giant Xtc2, Trek 3900

markstevens

Postby markstevens » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:50 pm

I was the 'guy' cycling on Payneham Rd...its not really my idea of fame, but nice to be 'noticed'...I actually chose Lower NE Rd/Payneham that morning because it has a more consistent 'bike lane' than NE Road (where I usually get 'squished' by at least 2 cars/journey wanting the 3rd lane regardless of whether a bike is there) and had to be in for a 9am meeting, usually I wait until at least 8.30-8.40am before leaving home to miss all the 'crazies' on the road, has worked for the last 2 years as this is my first close-up encounter with a car (that resulted in a collision anyway). I feel VERY lucky, somehow maybe my choice of an expensive Giro helmet (Livestrong version) may have helped keep my head from worse outcomes - most damage was to my bike (its dead!)...I also can not fault the ambos, nor the emergency staff at RAH or the police, I felt like a 'royal' and I was very impressed with the whole ordeal. I also was impressed with the first people on the scene who witnessed the accident, I was a bit 'out of it' at the time but from what I remember there were plenty of people around happy to help...so thanks to all of YOU!

Lesson to be learned: slow down even 'more' when traffic stop...cars DONT look for bikes and dont consider the bike lane as a traffic "lane"...

Ratts

Postby Ratts » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:52 pm

Hope the drivers insurance is paying up. My bike ended up with $1500 damage (front wheel, fork, bars and bits) that was repaired by the drivers insurance. I only ended up with a little less skin and a small bruise. Worst bit is that I was without my main bike for a few weeks waiting for the insurance to assess the damage.
2019 Canyon Ultimate CF slx
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL 1
2004 Giant TCR 1
1999 Trek

Another newbie

Postby Another newbie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:33 am

I've had a horror couple of months of dealing with d-h's. 1 st was a man in a clapped out 4wd who did a left hand turn on me after he'd sped up to overtake me - a few bruises later I wad ok. Then two weeks later a woman pulled out of shopping centre and drove straight into me. Luckily she was moving slowly and I'd seen what she was about to do and had stopped - hilariously she resumed driving after she'd hit me initially!
This week I have had a bus miss me by about 5cm and a guy not factor his trailor into his equaision, that one missed me by milimetres.
Lycra - It's a privilege not a right.

bongo

Postby bongo » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:03 am

It is silly season, everyone in more of a hurry than usual. Stay safe and alert out there.