Fixed gear wheels.

Juice

Fixed gear wheels.

Postby Juice » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Hello.

I've bought myself an old road bike from the 80's hoping to do a fixed gear conversion only to find out that the wheels that are currently on the bike can not take a fixed gear hub, so I have been advised to purchase a new wheel with a fixed gear hub already attached.

I've gone around to a couple of bike stores but they've all quoted me $200+ for a pair of wheels.

I was just wondering if anyone had any wheels for sale that would be capable of running a fixed gear hub.

Thanks for your time.

rustychisel

Re: Fixed gear wheels.

Postby rustychisel » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:09 am

Hi, I may have something that will suit but you'll need to do the research.

I have a pair of 27 inch wheels which will take a fixed cog (screwed on) as a 'suicide hub' conversion. Search that term for more info if you're uncertain. These are nice alloy wheels, SR hubs, 36 spokes 3x Weinmann rims, well built, true and strong. I can centre the rear rim dish if required, and they are 126mm OLN, which is what your frame is likely to be. Anyway, PM me and I can send pix over the weekend, $30 collected

Biffidus

Re: Fixed gear wheels.

Postby Biffidus » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:40 am

I did the same thing - redished a regular wheel and used an old bottom bracket lockring to set up a suicide hub conversion. No issues so far but I'm not doing skid stops ;)

If you're not willing to do that then check out some of the link in this thread: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 28&t=23794 or start trawling ebay.