'kin Hell - George St Parkside

rustychisel

'kin Hell - George St Parkside

Postby rustychisel » Wed May 11, 2011 11:56 am

watch out!! Roadworks for a km South of Greenhill Road intersection.

Last night in the rain was sorta dangerous, Adelaide drivers turn to spazzy's at the merest hint of rain, and its dark for the commute now.
So, coming on to George Street from the southern end, I pulled past an idling bus and at about 30~35kmh on the Giant fixed gear hit the roadworks. The entire tarmac surface has been lifted and scoured so it's currently a mess of gravel, uneven mud surface and striations... an interesting ride, not made easier by the very poor lighting in that sector. Hammer time!!

robbie d

Re: 'kin Hell - George St Parkside

Postby robbie d » Thu May 12, 2011 9:11 am

nice for them to let you know the road had been scoured. A few weeks ago I went up west terrace (top of the parade not the city) at night, there was the same thing, missing road, no signs, no flashing lights, just the crunch of the car going into the hole that was left when they removed the surface!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 12, 2011 9:18 am

robbie d wrote:nice for them to let you know the road had been scoured. .....
Signs have been up for some time warning of roadworks, so it's not a surprise.

Drove down there this morning after dropping the little one off, and holy hell batman, you'd need a MTB or 4WD at the moment.

Best avoid for a week or two at least.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu May 12, 2011 11:02 am

itsa fair point, I believe there were signs, but, as you'd expect, they're sited for vehicle drivers not cyclists and the chance of seeing and reading them on a dark rainy night is slim to zilch. I don't really know how bad the road surface was, at the time I was concentrating too hard on not sliding through on my arse. It was pretty bad, and pretty unexpected. In the Dark. With heavy rain. On 23c tyres.

Hey Robbie - been a while, hope you're well - are you meaning West Tce which runs between the Parade and Kensington Road, forming the lower perimeter of the park?