Best Road

mtb159

Best Road

Postby mtb159 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:53 pm

What's the best road being either a decent/climb/or flat road etc that you have ridden on? Post em up! :D

Cardy George

Re: Best Road

Postby Cardy George » Thu May 19, 2011 9:56 pm

I've got two:

Montacute Rd in both directions, particularly going up through the gully from the city as it then leads to Marble Hill Rd into Ashton, Woods Hill Rd to Mt Lofty Summit then home (when I lived there) via Upper Sturt Rd and Coromandel Parade, Blackwood.

Montacute-Ashton-Lofty-Blackwood-Aberfoyle Park

My absolute favourite all time road is Main Road right from the very top of Chandlers hill heading down into Blackwood and it was literally a 10 minute climb from my front door. It is my one and only regret about moving to rural Victoria.

Main Rd, Chandlers Hill

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Fri May 20, 2011 10:00 am

Aldgate Valley Rd

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 20, 2011 1:30 pm

I like Norton Summit Rd, Woods Hill Rd and then up to Lofty, Going down Greenhill Rd is great too

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri May 20, 2011 1:56 pm

My favourite ride is to Strathalbyn, up the freeway, through Aldgate Valley Rd to Mylor etc. A great mix of climbs and flat and lovely country side. If you are looking for lungbusters then either up Mt Osmond from Beaumont side or up through Teringie via Coachouse and Woodland way are great. Best decent is Greenhill Rd.
Certified Brand Snob

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat May 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Another vote for Aldgate Valley rd, beautiful countryside, nice climb/descent. Another favourite is Clarendon Rd, Clarendon very quiet road nice steady gradient and nice views.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Oaks Trail!

But if you're going to ride a roadie. I'd recommend 'crosser tyres. Saw a guy do this last time I was there. Didn't look out of place either.

willie

Postby willie » Sun May 22, 2011 3:14 am

I've been meaning toi ride a route i used to be familiar with over to Lobethal via Lobethal Rd and then down into town via George Rd. Do many people ride those roads? To lobethal from Norton Summit especially would be nice i think.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun May 22, 2011 11:04 am

willie wrote:I've been meaning toi ride a route i used to be familiar with over to Lobethal via Lobethal Rd and then down into town via George Rd. Do many people ride those roads? To lobethal from Norton Summit especially would be nice i think.
More bikes than cars on Gorge Rd and Norton Summit most mornings. You'll have a great ride anywhere out there IMO.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue May 24, 2011 11:46 am

willie wrote:I've been meaning toi ride a route i used to be familiar with over to Lobethal via Lobethal Rd and then down into town via George Rd. Do many people ride those roads? To lobethal from Norton Summit especially would be nice i think.
Great riding out that way, a good loop is up the gorge to Cudlee Creek, across to Lobethal, try Fox Creek Rd as well, then along the Lobethal rd to Ashton, across to Summertown and down Greenhill Rd. Lovely quiet roads and a 2 1/2hr ride.
Certified Brand Snob

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Thu May 26, 2011 1:54 pm

Great Thread this one, sorry but I cant limit it to one;

Picadilly road, from Summertown to Picadilly, when the valley opens up there its beautiful, but just too short.

Deviation road, not much to say here other than its beautiful looking over the back of the ranges.

Montacute road, after you decend past the fire station and hammer through the valley, I sit on about 60kph here and you dont have to break for a single one of the corners heading back to suburbia.

Woods hill is also a great road.

alex

Postby alex » Mon May 30, 2011 11:48 am

little italy
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon May 30, 2011 4:50 pm

can you be a little clearer, or are you suggesting Newton Road is a good ride?

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon May 30, 2011 4:56 pm

rustychisel wrote:can you be a little clearer, or are you suggesting Newton Road is a good ride?

That's very good Rusty. I have heard of this Little Italy as well, it's up off Montacute Rd somewhere I believe. Hopefully someone can enlighten us further.
Certified Brand Snob

David_G

Postby David_G » Mon May 30, 2011 5:23 pm

Sorry to seem a bit thick, but can you put your States behind the road names? All I've got to go on is your locatin in your avatar, but that is missing in most too.

And for what it's worth, I just love Beach Rd from Mordialloc to St Kilda (Victoria) Fresh bay beezes smelling of the sea and for a recent returnee to cycling no hills of note. On the weekends there must be thousands of riders out so it is a very social environment.
Last edited by David_G on Tue May 31, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just love riding my bike!

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon May 30, 2011 7:05 pm

(AT) David_G as this topic is in the South Australian forum I'm guessing the roads are in SA.

A Victorian seeming a bit thick, who'd have thought it. :wink:

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Tue May 31, 2011 3:04 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:
That's very good Rusty. I have heard of this Little Italy as well, it's up off Montacute Rd somewhere I believe. Hopefully someone can enlighten us further.
Little Italy is the climb back up Burdetts road from bottom of Pound/Knotts Hill road. Much more interesting other way 'round. Lobethal road out of Norton Summit left at the Forest Range hall/CFS. Drop down Burdett....very bumpy!!!, hang left and climb Knotts Hill back to Marble Hill road, follow left to Ashton PO corner. repeat. great little loop.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue May 31, 2011 4:26 pm

boyracer wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote:
Little Italy is the climb back up Burdetts road from bottom of Pound/Knotts Hill road. Much more interesting other way 'round. Lobethal road out of Norton Summit left at the Forest Range hall/CFS. Drop down Burdett....very bumpy!!!, hang left and climb Knotts Hill back to Marble Hill road, follow left to Ashton PO corner. repeat. great little loop.
Thanks, thought it was there somewhere. Will give it a go. Tonight is Mt Osmond and old freeway night!
Certified Brand Snob

David_G

Postby David_G » Tue May 31, 2011 5:14 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:(AT) David_G as this topic is in the South Australian forum I'm guessing the roads are in SA.

Oops, I replied from the "latest posts" heading, I didn't realise it was a state based thread..I'll get out of here now.
I just love riding my bike!

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Tue May 31, 2011 7:32 pm

David_G wrote:
you cannot be sirrus wrote:(AT) David_G as this topic is in the South Australian forum I'm guessing the roads are in SA.

Oops, I replied from the "latest posts" heading, I didn't realise it was a state based thread..I'll get out of here now.
Done the same thing myself a few times. Stay, we are a welcoming bunch.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:07 am

Daccordi Rider wrote:
Thanks, thought it was there somewhere. Will give it a go. Tonight is Mt Osmond and old freeway night!

Go the opposite way to Mt Osmond - up Thirkell & Hayward - that's a bugger of a climb !!! Nice reward to get to the top though.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:06 am

MichaelB wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote:

Go the opposite way to Mt Osmond - up Thirkell & Hayward - that's a bugger of a climb !!! Nice reward to get to the top though.
Yep, up that way, up freeway, up to the top of Mt Lofty (taking Shurdington Rd is cheating), then reverse for home, over Mt Osmond again to warm up after the decent! Gives close to 1000 vertical metres in about an hour so a good base for the Alpine in January.
Certified Brand Snob

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote:

Yep, up that way, up freeway, up to the top of Mt Lofty (taking Shurdington Rd is cheating), then reverse for home, over Mt Osmond again to warm up after the decent! Gives close to 1000 vertical metres in about an hour so a good base for the Alpine in January.
Shurdington isn't cheating !! It's sensible traffic avoidance :D

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:56 pm

Not a lot of traffic on Blackburn Road.... but i don't see too many others taking that option.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:47 pm

boyracer wrote:Not a lot of traffic on Blackburn Road.... but i don't see too many others taking that option.
Too damn steep, that's why !!!