Newbie Introduction

Newbie Introduction

Postby split_city » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:37 pm

Hi all. I would like to introduce myself. I'm a 24 year old male living in Adelaide who has decided to rekindle my interest in bike riding. I used to ride all the time and always enjoyed my ~30km rides from Port Adelaide to Outer Harbour and back.

I am now living near Marion and recently began to ride along the old railway corridor (Westside Bikeway) up to town and back. I have extended this ride to include the Linear Park track up to the beach and back home either down Tapley's Hill Road or Marion Road. I have also ridden to Port Noarlunga along the expressway.

My partner's Dad and a mate of his invited me to do a ride from Port Noarlunga to McLaren Vale on Boxing day. This was the first time I did this track and I thoroughly enjoyed it. They then asked whether I wanted to do it again this morning. For some crazy reason I said I would ride from Marion (along the expressway) and meet them at Port Noarlunga and then continue on to McLaren Vale. Given that I left at 7am this morning, the riding conditions weren't too bad down south. However, I was a bit worried coming back along the expressway this afternoon due to the heat, but I had plenty of fluid so I gave it a go. I'm pleased to say that I made it in one piece and I strangely feel pretty well. All up, the 76km ride took ~3.5hrs to do. I'm pretty happy with an average speed of around 21km/hr on a mountain bike with stubby thick tyres.

I think my next challenge would be to crack 100km!
split_city

by BNA » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:54 pm

BNA

Postby Deanj » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:54 pm

Hi mate,

Good to see a few more SA guys! Thats a good avg speed, especially with knobblies on and the weather today! Are you going for a 100 on the MTB?
Deanj

Postby europa » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:25 pm

Welcome to the nuthouse Split.

There are a few of us 'close' to Marion now. Bout time we organised a get together. Damn them admins are slack :oops:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby split_city » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:25 pm

needsapush wrote:Hi mate,

Good to see a few more SA guys! Thats a good avg speed, especially with knobblies on and the weather today! Are you going for a 100 on the MTB?

Yes, but probably not in one go. The 76km ride today was broken up by two breaks.

I don't have a road bike, plus I like to do it tough i.e. thick, knobby tires, no clip in shoes, no skin tight clothes :P....not to say you road bike uses don't do it tough either :lol:
Last edited by split_city on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
split_city

Postby Jeremy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:36 am

Well done riding that sort of distance on that bike....especially in the current heat! :)

Dont be embarrassed about taking breaks......I dont think it's too healthy to ride for 3 1/2 hours without taking a few minutes to 'refuel'.
Jeremy

Postby Deanj » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:38 pm

Yeah don't worry about how many breaks you take. Not managed the 100 on the MTB myself yet since back riding. I'm working my way up to doing at eagle park, still working on my off road fitness, arms, hands and back are hurting after 3 hours riding round there!
Deanj

Postby split_city » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:08 pm

Well I went out and got myself some slicks for the MTB bike. I can't help but feel that I am cheating or taking the easy option here :lol:. Purchased some Michelin Transworld City (26" by 1.5") tyres. All I can say is wow! What a difference these puppies make to my riding. Maybe I should aim for a 200km ride :lol: Just kidding, I'll work on the 100km to begin with.
split_city

Return to South Australia