Adelaides great Climbs

MichaelB

Adelaides great Climbs

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:58 am

After many discussions, I'd thought I'd put up some details of some of the better climbs found in Adelaide (the ones that I frequent anyway) to give visitors an idea of what is here.
The best thing for us Adeladians, is thta it is so easy to do a Hills ride or a coast ride without a mojor commute or via some really bad/high traffic roads.

Here goes my list (Climb name, length, Avg gradient and Total ascent) in no particular order ...

Belair Road : 3.75km (AT) 5.48%, 205m
Old Belair Rd : 2.08km (AT) 10.48%, 193m
Belair Rd via Lynton fire trail : 4.45km (AT) 5.60%, 249m (some really steep pitches at 15 - 20%)

Eagle on the Hill to Bollards : 9.00km (AT) 4.67%, 420m
Mt Lofty via EoH : 12.49km (AT) 4.44%, 554m

Greenhill Rd to Bus stop : 7.32km (AT) 6.20%, 454m (pretty constant all the way)
Mt Lofty via Greenhill Rd : 10.44km (AT) 5.36%, 560m

Norton Summit Rd : 7.34km (AT) 4.25%, 312m
Old Norton Summit : 5.46km (AT) 5.64%, 308m

Corkscrew Rd : 2.48km (AT) 9.43%, 233m
Kensington Rd to Lookout : 1.25km (AT) 12.66%, 157m :shock:

Mt Osmond via Thirkell Rd : 2.15km (AT) 9.58%, 206m
Mt Osmond (Fwy side) : 1.20km (AT) 7.75%, 93m

Acland Hill (Black Rd t/off) : 2.53km (AT) 5.53%, 140m

Some extra's (from Daccordi Rider and You cant be sirrius) :

Montacute Rd : 3.6km (AT) 6.10%, 220m
Montacute (St bernhards Rd to Marble Hill ruins) : 13.2km (AT) 3.29%, 434m
Coachhouse Rd/Woodland Way : 2.70km (AT) 10.2% , 280m

For the out of towners ....
Saddlebags Rd, Kangarilla : 2.20km (AT) 7.55%, 169m

I know there are others, and please feel free to add them in your post below, and if you can follow the same format, that would be great.

My favourite descent is Greenhill Rd, but love going up to Mt Lofty via Norton Summit and Woods Hill Rd. I love Adelaide :mrgreen:
Last edited by MichaelB on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daccordi Rider

Re: Adelaides great Climbs

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:28 pm

Good work Michael.

I love Montacute Rd, scenic and hard. There are various measurements for it but 3.6km, 6.1% and 220m for the main climb or 13.2km and 434m gain from St Bernards Rd to the Marble Hill Ruins.
Also Coachhouse Dr/Woodland way up through Teringie 2.7km, 10.2%, 280m gain. A lungbuster.
Certified Brand Snob

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:42 pm

The hardest climb I've done is Saddlebags Rd, Kangarilla
2.2kms 7.55%, 169m gain.
It ramps up to 26% at one point according to my Garmin stats on a rough or loose surface, near impossible to keep the front wheel down, stand and the rear wheel slips. It's horrible but the decent on Cut Hill Rd is awesome.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:05 pm

There's also Sheoak Rd up the back of Belair National Park. I don't know the exact gradient but the road sign says 20%. I've only been up it once......

The last time down it, I hit a cateye which knocked both of my hands off the bars, as I was entering a chicane, just before the really steep section. Added new meaning to 'steering with my shoulders' :shock:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Cheers guys, extra details added.

Maybe worth talking to the mods to make it a sticky and the 1st post editable after the 24hrs, so all the climb data can stay in teh first post for easy access by locals as well as people visiting for the TdU !!

Ooroo

limetang

Postby limetang » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:55 pm

Oakridge Rd Aberfoyle Park, from Black Rd Roundabout to top - 2.1km (AT) 6.9% , 177 metres . First Half is super cruisy then has some solid 10% sections with a wicked few dozen metres at about 20%... the only hill Im really struggling on in 39-25

Bains Rd Onkaparinga Hills - 3.5km (AT) 5.8% , 202metres. Nice climb... pretty steady.

Chandlers Hill Rd - Ped. crossing to Grants Gully Turn Off - 3.0km (AT) 4.9 % , 150 metres. Rough surface for the most part but plenty of shoulder space to keep you safe from cars. To me feels harder than the numbers make it look.

Dont forget Old Willunga Hill, my favourite by a mile - 3.1km (AT) 7.4% , 222 metres.

Education Rd Happy Valley - 2.4km (AT) 6.7% , 161 metres. Definitely worth a try..... some really tough 12-15% sections at the start, plus the fact its a straight climb to begin with so you can see where your going..... UP!

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:05 pm

I know Oakridge road well, Limetang. When you get to the top turn left and come down this way, my all time 2nd favourite descent, but it's also a great climb

Main Road, Chandlers Hill

If you want half a loop that takes in a few climbs, try this. I do it everytime I'm back in Adelaide with a bike:

Montacute - Ashton - Lofty - Blackwood - Aberfoyle Park

The Blackwood to Aberfoyle Park bit is my all time favourite descent.

And then there's these
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 16&t=40763

bionic wombat

Postby bionic wombat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:46 pm

Potter Road Clarendon :)

GWH74

Postby GWH74 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:07 am

Favourite is Mt Lofty. Nice up and down with little to no traffic (cars)
Did this as part of my ride last Sunday. Stirling to Cherry Gardens via Ironbank and Sturt Valley road. A couple of nice climbs in there.

bionic wombat

Postby bionic wombat » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:12 pm

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:44 pm

I'd just point people to here
http://www.hillclimbr.com/sites/climbr/ ... enDocument
Which gives climb stats and timing for almost every climb in the Adelaide Region

and then here
http://app.strava.com/segments/search

where you can search for climbs using keywords taken from hillclimbr and then be able to see a map (I dunno why hillclimbr doesnt show maps)
Strava also lets you see ride times too.
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:47 pm

Some real nice roads on the Cancer Voices ride last Sunday. 1000m of up in 60 odd kms. Even one i'd not ridden before..... Maps on their site.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:52 pm

boyracer wrote:Some real nice roads on the Cancer Voices ride last Sunday. 1000m of up in 60 odd kms. Even one i'd not ridden before..... Maps on their site.
That's the one bionic wombat posted the Strava plot for. It was a route I've never considered before and lots of climbing. I'm still sore.

jzr

Postby jzr » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:34 pm

This thread is a great read for a beginner like me.

I'm salivating over that Livestrong ride posted - makes me want to get out there and ride...now!!! And, get a Garmin (already on Xmas present to self list).

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:09 pm

Whats the traffic on greenhill road like? is there a best/better time of day to do it? cheers.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:54 am

eeksll wrote:Whats the traffic on greenhill road like? is there a best/better time of day to do it? cheers.
Generally, the traffic when going up is pretty good, as there is often riders on there, but there are better times to go. Still some tools though.

I did it a few weeks ago starting at about 7pm (an hours riding before I get there) and there is bugger all traffic. Weekends is OK too, but at times can get busy.

Going down can be a different story, as whilst you are going pretty quick (my average speed is usually 45 - 52 km/hr), the 80 zone means that people do some slightly silly moves to go faster on the straights than you do, but slower in the corners. Meh, I just occupy the lane unless it's a long straight.

From the roundabout to the Mt Lofty turnoff, for me is about 32 - 33 min at about 13 and a bit km/hr (best time is 30:33).

Might head up there tonight or go to Mt Lofty via Mt Osmond (Thirkell side).

ooroo

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:15 am

Had a pearler of a ride last night. Was going to go up Mt Lofty via Greenhill, but the headwind on the lower slopes oput me off, so headed up to Mt Osmond via Thirkell/Hayward Rd.

Normally this has beaten me in the past and I needed a break just after the 1st hairpin. But bouyed by my recent climbing, I made it up without a break and set the quickest time by almost 40 sec, so rapped.

Then headed up to Mt Lofty via EoH and tackled Blackburn Rd (short REALLY nasty bit - 323m (AT) 17.3%) and made that without a stop too.

Looking fwd to a great commute Wed, with a forecast of a low of 17 degrees :D

Might even go via Mt Lofty and Norton summit again

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:59 am

Nice work. Tonight I go up Greenhill (during peak hour and it is really no bother) down the Freeway then back up the freeway and down Greenhill. 29 degrees today so all good. So long Winter I hope. :D Takes about 1.40 and a good bit of climbing.
Certified Brand Snob

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:17 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:Nice work. Tonight I go up Greenhill (during peak hour and it is really no bother) down the Freeway then back up the freeway and down Greenhill. 29 degrees today so all good. So long Winter I hope. :D Takes about 1.40 and a good bit of climbing.
It would be nice ride, but have a uni assignment to get cracking on :cry:

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:33 pm

MichaelB wrote:Had a pearler of a ride last night. Was going to go up Mt Lofty via Greenhill, but the headwind on the lower slopes oput me off, so headed up to Mt Osmond via Thirkell/Hayward Rd.

Normally this has beaten me in the past and I needed a break just after the 1st hairpin. But bouyed by my recent climbing, I made it up without a break and set the quickest time by almost 40 sec, so rapped.

Then headed up to Mt Lofty via EoH and tackled Blackburn Rd (short REALLY nasty bit - 323m (AT) 17.3%) and made that without a stop too.

Looking fwd to a great commute Wed, with a forecast of a low of 17 degrees :D

Might even go via Mt Lofty and Norton summit again
nice work. i remember you saying you wouldn't attempt both of these late last year? Blackburn really clears your head doesn't it? I found a new short/sharpie...Parish hill road just outta Basket range.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:28 pm

boyracer wrote:
nice work. i remember you saying you wouldn't attempt both of these late last year? Blackburn really clears your head doesn't it? I found a new short/sharpie...Parish hill road just outta Basket range.
Amazing what good weather and a bit of weight loss does :D

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:07 am

Rode to Williamstown yesterday and will throw in Torrens Hill Rd (runs off Gorge rd), starts at 12% then settles in to a steady 10% for about 2km. Tough climb.
Certified Brand Snob

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:50 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:Rode to Williamstown yesterday and will throw in Torrens Hill Rd (runs off Gorge rd), starts at 12% then settles in to a steady 10% for about 2km. Tough climb.
Is that the one that veers up and to the left when heading out of Adelaide ? Looks nasty when you ride past it.

BTW, do you either work at night or are retired ? Yiou seem to spend too many hours enjoying the hills and riding lots, making me very jealous .... :cry:

Off to McLaren Vale via veloway with some mates on Sunday morning, lotsa little climbs, but hopefully no headwind ... :roll:

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:36 pm

I work weekends (afternoon generally) so have Thursday off and ride Tuesday afternoons after work now daylight savings is here.Try to do Freeway or Norton after work Fridays, group ride Saturday morning pre work and then Sunday I race if time before work or just a good hills ride.

That's the one, at the Paracombe sign. Give it a go!

If you do the Veloway a good loop is to go up Wilunga Hill, to Meadows, Echunga, Mylor and then up Aldgate Valley Rd to Stirling etc.
Certified Brand Snob

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:41 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote:Rode to Williamstown yesterday and will throw in Torrens Hill Rd (runs off Gorge rd), starts at 12% then settles in to a steady 10% for about 2km. Tough climb.
Is that the one that veers up and to the left when heading out of Adelaide ? Looks nasty when you ride past it.
I rode that once. Long story short I parked my car at Houghton, and caught up with a group to ride up Checkers, the route back to my car was up Torrens Hill Rd. it looked evil but surprised me by being fairly easy. Maybe the excitement of Checkers addled my brain. anyway I got lost at Paracombe and ended up taking a 20km detour to find my car again. :oops: