Adelaides great Climbs

Daccordi Rider

Re: Adelaides great Climbs

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:01 am

How is Checkers hill not on this list? Rode it for the first time yesterday, great climb.
Certified Brand Snob

tiels32

Postby tiels32 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:08 am

Living in the north eastern suburbs i do most of my hills rides up around Houghton and Inglewood. I go up seaview rd then range rd north (quieter then north east or anstey). Nice climbs but probably short compared to the climbs I'm reading about heading out of the eastern suburbs although i am keen to try them after reading this forum. Fav descent is Anstey. Cars wanna get past you up the top end where its not so steep but quite a few times I catch back up to them on the bottom half of the descent where its abit steeper.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 am

Daccordi Rider wrote:How is Checkers hill not on this list? Rode it for the first time yesterday, great climb.
Probably because I never rode it ..... :D

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:06 am

Well get on it.

Also yesterday a new record was set up Norton Summit, 11.29 at an average of 29 km/hr by Damien Howson as part of the Rendition Homes time trial. :shock:

I might once have hit 29 km/hr in the run for the line, but average 29, very impressive.
Certified Brand Snob

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:16 am

Daccordi Rider wrote: Also yesterday a new record was set up Norton Summit, 11.29 at an average of 29 km/hr by Damien Howson as part of the Rendition Homes time trial. :shock:
I did Norton Summit last night as a 'get back into the hills ' after a layoff of a month due to a bung knee. Took it semi-easy and did a 22:30. My best is a fair bit better, but 11 MINUTES quicker :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That's not human

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:20 am

MichaelB wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote: Also yesterday a new record was set up Norton Summit, 11.29 at an average of 29 km/hr by Damien Howson as part of the Rendition Homes time trial. :shock:
I did Norton Summit last night as a 'get back into the hills ' after a layoff of a month due to a bung knee. Took it semi-easy and did a 22:30. My best is a fair bit better, but 11 MINUTES quicker :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That's not human
Yeah, he is faster than me, must be on drugs!! :lol:
Certified Brand Snob

liamb

Postby liamb » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:03 am

Jacky Bobby will have to drop into town sometime soon and knock 10seconds off that time to keep everyone on their toes, but man that is quick. The best I have ever gone up there is 18mins. I have no idea where i could possibly make up 6 1/2 mins and never will. Man to be young, single and able to ride all day every day!!!!!

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:11 pm

liamb wrote:Jacky Bobby will have to drop into town sometime soon and knock 10seconds off that time to keep everyone on their toes, but man that is quick. The best I have ever gone up there is 18mins. I have no idea where i could possibly make up 6 1/2 mins and never will. Man to be young, single and able to ride all day every day!!!!!

Bill
And to be paid to do it !!!

bongo

Postby bongo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Jack Bobridge was 17yo when he set the record. A few seasons in Europe, plus his track achievements and an olympic year might have him in pretty good shape to post a faster time up there. Average of 29kmph is nuts, I cant hold that on the flats.

Trev Campbell

Postby Trev Campbell » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 am

Where are the timing markers for Norton Summit ???? I've riden it heaps of times but never timed myself. Is it from the Magill Rd turnoff to the intersection at the pub ??? might be interesting to see how slow I am !!!!!
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:33 am

http://www.cycle2max.com/bike-hill-clim ... spx?id=602

Hi Trev,

This link gives the start and end points and times up there. I've never really timed myself either so will do so soon.
Certified Brand Snob

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:36 pm

rolling start as you turn left from Magill Rd to painted line at big old gum stump outside number 169 as you climb. The stump is on the left, the line has been freshly repainted in fluro orange/pink

jzr

Postby jzr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:30 pm

rustychisel wrote:rolling start as you turn left from Magill Rd to painted line at big old gum stump outside number 169 as you climb. The stump is on the left, the line has been freshly repainted in fluro orange/pink
While I wait for my Garmin Edge to fulfill my data junkie needs, I have been trying Strava on my phone while out on the road. Beauty is, it automatically registers as you ride various segments - shame is there are two Norton climbs that have been registered with Strava, one which is to the 169 house and another what seems a few minutes up the road.

Hassle free time trials :D

Just as a side note, most of the people who are setting these crazy times are often followed by a support car and seem to follow the best racing line wherever that may be on the road - about 4 weeks ago I was passed by a guy in full Giant sponsored kit being followed by the mechanic from Giant Adelaide and when I got home Strava told me it was a guy called Ben Hogarth and I think he set the second best time on that day. Most of us stick to the left and don't have that benefit. Not that it's a competition but it puts it in perspective for us weekend warriors.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:22 am

Fastest I've done Norton Summit (to the pub) was an avg speed of 19km/hr. To the Tree (AT) #169 was 17.6km/hr

29 is nuts.

PA

Postby PA » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:02 am

Drove down Ridge Road at Mylor yesterday and thought it would be a killer climb. I have put together a map showing a figure 8 loop for the hill climb tragic's out there.

Bikemap link
Mouse magnet

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:15 am

Daccordi Rider wrote:Good work Michael.

I love Montacute Rd, scenic and hard. There are various measurements for it but 3.6km, 6.1% and 220m for the main climb or 13.2km and 434m gain from St Bernards Rd to the Marble Hill Ruins.
Went for a ride with a mate on Monday morning (damn there was some decent frost around Piccadilly :| ) - included a few climbs including Mt Lofty and then went to top of Montacute via Uraidla, Sunmmertown and Ashton. Went down Montacute. Man, why haven't I been there before :shock: :D :D Stunning surface, great corners and bugger all traffic.

Now to go up !!!

Seems to start off easy, but would be tough towards the top, but then a great ride back down to Ashton and plenty of ways back to the bottom.

Looking fwd to it.

bookworm1707

Postby bookworm1707 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Are there any beginner hills that people would recommend? Departing from the freeway south to one tree hill in the north?

By beginner I mean not massively steep, fairly quiet (or better yet has bike lane or path) but reasonably long? I have been working on doing loops that encompass smaller hills in the suburbs but want to start attempting some actual climbs. Leaving from the prospect/Blair Athol area so don't want to have the actual hill too far away.

Was looking at the freeway as I understand it it has a path next to it.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:47 pm

search 'dirty dozen' for a real masochistic event on locally Sept.1 i think.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:35 pm

bookworm1707 wrote:Are there any beginner hills that people would recommend? Departing from the freeway south to one tree hill in the north?

By beginner I mean not massively steep, fairly quiet (or better yet has bike lane or path) but reasonably long? I have been working on doing loops that encompass smaller hills in the suburbs but want to start attempting some actual climbs. Leaving from the prospect/Blair Athol area so don't want to have the actual hill too far away.

devise a loop which will take you from Payneham Road out Lower NE Road, all the way up to the roundabout where it intersects the top of Grand Junction... home down Grand Junction, which is no problem for an early morning ride on the weekend. Or do it the other way around. When you've got that sorted instead of turning at the roundabout keep going straight up Grand Junction >>>> Anstey's Hill Road, left at the cross road at the top (after about 4km average 6%) and go through to Main NE Road for the descent back to Tea Tree Gully. (Main NE Road is the busiest, traffic wise), so maybe go back down Anstey's, which is a pretty good descent, too.

The best climb for beginning is New Norton Summit (up Magill Road, turn left with signs above the Tower Hotel). Easiest gradient, good ride, not too hard, lots of other cyclists, little other traffic. Most cars use the Old NS Road which is shorter, steeper, narrower.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:33 am

boyracer wrote:search 'dirty dozen' for a real masochistic event on locally Sept.1 i think.

I'm going to give that a go! Looks fun. :shock:
Certified Brand Snob

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:41 am

bookworm1707 wrote:Are there any beginner hills that people would recommend? Departing from the freeway south to one tree hill in the north?

As Rusty said Norton Summit is as good as any, few cars and a good steady gradient. The Freeway is good but twice as long and a bit steeper so depends where you are at fitness wise. Gorge Rd is a bit busier car wise but the climb itself is fairly short but with a couple of tougher ramps. Good luck.
Certified Brand Snob

boss

Postby boss » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:28 pm

I've been riding a lot of hills since getting my roadie, especially in the E / SE / NE hills.

Some of the climbs I think are noteworthy but not already mentioned...

Cherryville Rd / Fernhurst Rd - 2.1km, 10.8%, 230m

Off Marble Hill Rd / Montacute - pretty much at the point where Marble Hill turns into Montacute Rd. I'd step out on a limb and say that this climb is possibly one of the toughest average 10% climbs you'll find in Adelaide. From the start there is no respite, you get a couple of moments where you'll spot 5-6% on your Garmin... but the most part it's 10-15-20%. And the only way out is up.

The descent on the way in is a little bit hairy, so take it easy.

But definitely a good test.

Strava segment: http://app.strava.com/segments/677578" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pound Rd / Knotts Hill Rd - 2.7%, 8%, 230m

I've heard this one talked up a bit - I'll step out on a limb here and say it's not the toughest climb you'll find in Adelaide. But it requires some hard work. Being off Marble Hill Rd, right near the Ashton / Norton Summit summit, it's close enough to team up with a Norton session if you want a bit of a challenge but aren't keen for Coachhouse Dr / Woodland Way.

Strava segment: http://app.strava.com/segments/642575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burdetts Rd - 1.7%, 7%, 118m

This is a cool little climb just off Marble Hill and Lobethal Rd. You can descend down Burdetts off Lobethal Rd, or take Pound Rd off Marble Hill Rd, which spits you out at the bottom of Burdetts Rd. At 7% average, it's not a super tough climb, but still worth your time. There's some really cool scenery, reminiscent of Italy... just take care as it's a one-lane, bi-directional road.

I like to link the Pound and Burdetts Rd climbs together - down pound, up burdetts, down burdetts, up pound.

Strava segment: http://app.strava.com/segments/631730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sheoak Rd - 7km, 3.2% - 233m

Just looking at the stats, Sheoak Rd doesn't look impressive. Or tough. Or noteworthy. What the stats don't tell you is there's a really tough 15% average section for around 500m just after the 2.5km mark of the ride. Pass Pony Ridge Rd, ride through the one-lane filter, and you'll be greeted by a 20% sign. Then two, very very steep ramps with a brief 10% interlude in between them.

Probably one of the tougher pinches around, and a real lungbuster.

Conveniently, Sheoak Rd bridges the gap between Belair and Crafers (and then Mt Lofty). So you can head up Belair Rd, then Sheoak, then Lofty... or Old Belair... Or Lynton Path... depending on how much pain you're keen for!'

Strava segment (complete): http://app.strava.com/segments/999456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Strava segment (15% section only): http://app.strava.com/segments/830092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other climbs that have already been mentioned but I rate

Coachhouse Rd / Woodland Way - one of the tougher climbs that I've ridden. At 2.7km and 10.4%, it's a great climb if you want to test yourself. When I pass the last 20+% section on Woodland Way and watch my Garmin tick downwards... 19-18-17-16-15-14-13-12-10 I often think to myself that 10% has never felt better. Personally I really like that you have an assortment of downhill options, rather than having to ride down a super steep hill - Norton Summit is right there.

Lynton Path - With only 6.5% average grade you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a relaxed climb... anything but. Starts at 10%, you get a brief downhill interlude, then 20%, 15%, and 10% sections follow. Surprisingly you will spot a few commuters heading up or down the path in peak hours. Head left up Caroline St and you'll get another 10% and 20% pinch before being at 'Belair Elevation'.

And of course the old freeway, belair rd, old belair rd, norton summit, greenhill rd, etc etc etc are great climbs.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:49 am

boss wrote: .....Lynton Path - With only 6.5% average grade you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a relaxed climb... anything but. Starts at 10%, you get a brief downhill interlude, then 20%, 15%, and 10% sections follow. Surprisingly you will spot a few commuters heading up or down the path in peak hours. Head left up Caroline St and you'll get another 10% and 20% pinch before being at 'Belair Elevation'.

Went up Lynton Path again the other weekend. It's like it has several short Mur de Huy's (aussie versions) to kill off any recovery from the last steep section.

Old Belair Rd is a tough constant climb, but narrow and the traffic is a bit dodgy. Going down is fun !!!

boss

Postby boss » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:28 am

MichaelB wrote:
boss wrote: .....Lynton Path - With only 6.5% average grade you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a relaxed climb... anything but. Starts at 10%, you get a brief downhill interlude, then 20%, 15%, and 10% sections follow. Surprisingly you will spot a few commuters heading up or down the path in peak hours. Head left up Caroline St and you'll get another 10% and 20% pinch before being at 'Belair Elevation'.

Went up Lynton Path again the other weekend. It's like it has several short Mur de Huy's (aussie versions) to kill off any recovery from the last steep section.

Old Belair Rd is a tough constant climb, but narrow and the traffic is a bit dodgy. Going down is fun !!!
Yeah Lynton path is an interesting one. No idea what they were thinking - I believe they stuck to the existing fire trail due to budget constraints... but given its intent was to make the Belair > City commute a bit easier, you have to question whether the money they spent (over half a mil) was money well spent.

Having said that. I like it quite a lot. I live nearby and do repeats on it every now and then, good tough climb but for me it's not so long that I'm dead at the top. Only descended it once, 'twas 40 degrees and I got to the end of the path... told myself going down was the lesser of two evils (as opposed to heading up Caroline). Next time I'll go up Caroline.

And yep Old Belair is a corker, good solid climb for a few kays. I don't ride it as much as I should.

While we're on the subject of Belair-ish climbs, I don't mind Brownhill Creek Rd for a time-trial. It's not a challenging climb (at all) but holding near on 30kmph average makes it interesting.

I've heard good things about Tilley's Hill Rd (off BHC Rd) but haven't ventured up there as yet.

adamr

Postby adamr » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:47 pm

Recent Bowden Elite Series time trial up Norton Summit saw a new records set. Tim Roe in 11:27. Unfortunately, not on Strava, so it didn't happen.
http://www.bowdeneliteteamseries.com.au ... -9-ITT.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;