TDU Willunga Hill

brutan

TDU Willunga Hill

Postby brutan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:59 am

I am interested in going to the TDU stage 5 and watching the race at the top of Willunga hill, can anyone tell me where I can park my car and how early I will need to arrive to get a decent spot to watch the race?

}SkOrPn--7

Re: TDU Willunga Hill

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Drive up the highway and just over half way up is a car park/lookout use that. Then walk east to the old fence and leap over taking a few steps down the embankment to the old Willunga hill road and from there you can walk to where you want to go. I dare say you might want to get to that lookout fairly early. On the top of the hill on the corner of Willunga Hill and the road that leads to Meadows is a Fodder joint which has a large area for parking as well.

Ricky

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:24 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote: ....On the top of the hill on the corner of Willunga Hill and the road that leads to Meadows is a Fodder joint which has a large area for parking as well.

Ricky
That'dt be snaffled by the TdU people I'd assume ?

But you are right about early.

I'll be there for sure to watch !!!

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:39 pm

Keep in mind that the race this year finishes at the top so it could be extra jammed.

Last year I rode up and nailed a spot at about 11am maybe 200m down from the top. It was quite clear that many people had been there MUCH earlier. By midday there wasn't a space left causing some to go into the scrub to find a spot. Hardly ideal! :P

Tim

Marx

Postby Marx » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:35 pm

Take car, pack bike & wear knicks!
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

brutan

Postby brutan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:28 am

Thanks for your help everyone. Taking my 2 kids so riding is out of the question.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:22 am

MichaelB wrote:
That'dt be snaffled by the TdU people I'd assume ?
I have no idea but if you got there earlier enough nothing they could do except if they rope it off in the wee hours of the morning. You could be right they may have that set aside for emergency vehicles,police and like you said the TDU folks.

newie

Postby newie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:15 am

I will be over from NSW and am staying in Adelaide (Gen Osmond Rd). I was thinking of riding down to Willunga. Do locals have any recommendations for the best routes to get there?
Thanks.

jzr

Postby jzr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:23 am

newie wrote:I will be over from NSW and am staying in Adelaide (Gen Osmond Rd). I was thinking of riding down to Willunga. Do locals have any recommendations for the best routes to get there?
Thanks.
There is a sealed bike path known as the 'Veloway' which runs alongside the Southern Expressway. It begins just off South Road at Darlington and you can stay on it pretty much all the way through to McLaren Vale then on to Willunga.

I'm only fairly new to riding and I have only done it once over the Xmas holidays (and stopped at McLaren Vale) so unfortunately can't give any really solid directions or other hints and tips for riding it but I'm sure the resident gurus can help you out. There is a detour in play at the moment at one point that takes you out into an industrial park and that was the only confusing thing about the route although MichaelB has explained it in a previous post here - just do a quick search for 'veloway'.

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:34 am

newie wrote:I will be over from NSW and am staying in Adelaide (Gen Osmond Rd). I was thinking of riding down to Willunga. Do locals have any recommendations for the best routes to get there?
Thanks.
This is a link to one of my regular rides which has a map of how you can get to Willunga.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/139225538

You'd need to turn up High Street which leads up the hill but as there will be a gabillion people there it shouldn't be hard to miss.

Enjoy the day.

Tim

Dr_Mutley

TDU Willunga Hill

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:38 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Drive up the highway and just over half way up is a car park/lookout use that. Then walk east to the old fence and leap over taking a few steps down the embankment to the old Willunga hill road and from there you can walk to where you want to go. I dare say you might want to get to that lookout fairly early. On the top of the hill on the corner of Willunga Hill and the road that leads to Meadows is a Fodder joint which has a large area for parking as well.

Ricky
Carpark will be full.... Park anywhere along the road and walk down the 20m to the old willing hill rd... Never had trouble turning up 15mins b4 and getting a park... But as Tim has said, it's a first time hill top finish this year so will be extra busy.... It will be the decisive stage of the tdu this year...

I'll be there in the old hilux ute with a couch in the back on the side of the track, half way up... Say hi if u see me ;-) cheers Harry

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks.
The Veloway down to Mclaren Vale as suggested earlier. I'm planning on riding via Clarendon and Meadows and then The Range to Willunga but will probably watch the race in McLaren Vale. depends how my mate pulls up after the friday community ride.

newie

Postby newie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks for the help. Once I get on the veloway will it be fairly self-evident from that point? Do I need to worry about printing out some maps and taking them with me - or just follow the other bikes? This all of course assumes I can face another 100ks after the Bupa Challenge the day before.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:16 pm

newie wrote:Thanks for the help. Once I get on the veloway will it be fairly self-evident from that point? Do I need to worry about printing out some maps and taking them with me - or just follow the other bikes? This all of course assumes I can face another 100ks after the Bupa Challenge the day before.
You shouldn't get lost, there will be lots of riders heading that way. The detour at Seaford is reasonably obvious from the bike path, then follow Railway Rd, turn right into Seaford Rd and then Left into Shearer Dr and you'll find the bike path again.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:49 pm

jzr wrote:
Thanks.
There is a sealed bike path known as the 'Veloway' which runs alongside the Southern Expressway. It begins just off South Road at Darlington and you can stay on it pretty much all the way through to McLaren Vale then on to Willunga.

I'm only fairly new to riding and I have only done it once over the Xmas holidays (and stopped at McLaren Vale) so unfortunately can't give any really solid directions or other hints and tips for riding it but I'm sure the resident gurus can help you out. There is a detour in play at the moment at one point that takes you out into an industrial park and that was the only confusing thing about the route although MichaelB has explained it in a previous post here - just do a quick search for 'veloway'.
Tried to ride that today, major fail, the veloway is stuffed.

Most of the route is covered in washout and the road surface is falling appart. Main South Road and then turn on to Victor Harbour Road is a far better route. You need to have some confidence in your riding skills as the road narrows at a few points and the sholder disapears but nothing major.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:25 pm

Most of the route is covered in washout and the road surface is falling appart. Main South Road and then turn on to Victor Harbour Road is a far better route. You need to have some confidence in your riding skills as the road narrows at a few points and the sholder disapears but nothing major.
That pretty much describes the veloway from the bottom to the end of the expressway... However from the expressway to McLaren Vale/Willunga is fine and in much better condition excluding the detour around Seaford but that is only a short stretch.

Tim

Dr_Mutley

TDU Willunga Hill

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:02 am

jcjordan wrote:
jzr wrote:
Thanks.

Ride the victor harbor rd between sth rd and mclrenvale turn off at yr peril. Super busy, no shoulder and super dangerous.... Don't become another cycling fatality on that stretch of road... There's a great bike track less than a km sth that takes you straight into MV.... If u don't want to use the veloway and wish to ride sth rd, continue past the victor turn, and exit sth rd at the bike track, and ride into MV that way...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:06 am

Dr_Mutley wrote: [
Ride the victor harbor rd between sth rd and mclrenvale turn off at yr peril. Super busy, no shoulder and super dangerous.... Don't become another cycling fatality on that stretch of road... There's a great bike track less than a km sth that takes you straight into MV.... If u don't want to use the veloway and wish to ride sth rd, continue past the victor turn, and exit sth rd at the bike track, and ride into MV that way...
+100. Closing traffic speed is the issue for me.

Whilst the Veloway aint the best, it's car free and it works pretty well.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:21 am

I don't really like the veloway. Going to ride to Willunga then the Sellicks KOM thursday but will go up Windy Point to Blackwood then follow Main Rd to Chandlers hill, Clarendon, Kangarilla, McLaren Flat and Vale. A beautiful hills ride, usually pretty traffic free and you don't have to ride through all those loverly housing estates. Does not take much longer either.
Certified Brand Snob

Dr_Mutley

TDU Willunga Hill

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:46 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:I don't really like the veloway. Going to ride to Willunga then the Sellicks KOM thursday but will go up Windy Point to Blackwood then follow Main Rd to Chandlers hill, Clarendon, Kangarilla, McLaren Flat and Vale. A beautiful hills ride, usually pretty traffic free and you don't have to ride through all those loverly housing estates. Does not take much longer either.
I agree they have rooted the veloway...

DR:
great alternative...

jzr

Postby jzr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:I don't really like the veloway. Going to ride to Willunga then the Sellicks KOM thursday but will go up Windy Point to Blackwood then follow Main Rd to Chandlers hill, Clarendon, Kangarilla, McLaren Flat and Vale. A beautiful hills ride, usually pretty traffic free and you don't have to ride through all those loverly housing estates. Does not take much longer either.
Daccordi, any chance you could post a route map for this? I'm heading up with a colleague who often heads up to Blackwood so I don't think he would mind if we went that way rather than the Veloway and I'd be keen to check it out.

Does it add much to the overall distance going that way? More curiously, I know from your posts that you love your climbing so how much climbing is to be expected if following this route (besides the obvious Windy Pt to Blackwood)?

PA

Postby PA » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:16 pm

I have made a map on bikemap.net

http://www.bikemap.net/route/1382754

See you there.

Last year we did our morning ride then went home showered and then drove to the top of Willunga Hill then walked down and then walked up during the race. You get to see the riders a couple of times in Willunga then head up the hill with the rest of the crowd. Just stop and sit on the guard rail when the bikes come. Just take water and sun screen.
Mouse magnet

jzr

Postby jzr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:52 am

Cheers for that PA!

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:57 am

I ride the veloway/SExy most weekends and today was the worst I have ever seen it for crap on the path and broken glass in many places. Hopefully it willbe cleaned up before next week. It sounds like the first part up the hill from Darlington may have already been cleaned, I didn't ride that section this morning.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:11 pm

Will have to try it one day. Cheers