Gay cycle Group

grnorton

Gay cycle Group

Postby grnorton » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Like on Facebook : Adelaide Gay Road Bike Group.

Am testing the waters about a social gay friendly road cycle group in Adelaide.
Graham
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

rustychisel

Re: Gay cycle Group

Postby rustychisel » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Howdy, I don't know of any specifically gay cycling groups in Adelaide but you're welcome to join my group of thoughtful, friendly and tolerant hetero's for Sat am rides in Adelaide's Eastern suburbs. (male and female)

To look at it from the obverse; I certainly wouldn't want to belong to a group which exhibited intolerance so I can empathise to a point, but don't see proclivities as being an impediment to good cycling.

Max

Postby Max » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:17 pm

I'm sure Team Adelaide could help you out, grnorton. I don't know if they are still around, but were in full swing when Adelaide hosted the Australian Gaymes ... I think it was in 2000. I played in the volleyball comp. If you can't find Adelaide's gay sporting body, get in touch with Team Sydney. They will almost certainly have contacts of equivalent groups in other states and might be able to put you in touch with a gay sporting body in Adelaide - who in turn can help you find a gay cycling group.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

grnorton

Postby grnorton » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:34 pm

I know the group well and they do not have a cycle group or a swimming group. thanks for the post
Graham
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:21 pm

phwoark... according to Max' sigline Sydguy has a friendly cycling group. :roll:

But seriously, during a couple of Feast Festivals there have been gay rides and cycling events but I don't think any of them have persisted. And they were rather ad hoc social occasions for Feast, anyway.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Gay or straight - matters not as long as they enjoy riding their bicycles....

Or perhaps are you planning on prowling while riding????? I try not to do my spadework on the bike..... :P
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

luckyphil

Postby luckyphil » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:03 pm

Not that theres any thing wrong with that :)

hotfoot

Postby hotfoot » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Nah...most straight people don't get our jokes..nice not to have to translate all the time.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:02 pm

I can understand the need for a gay pack....like, it effects where you have post ride coffee....and which other cyclists you stare at...some of my group are shamelessly overt. Besides, cycling ends up taking up a lot of down time, so may as well be able to leverage off it into other social outings.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:25 pm

I reckon people should do whatever makes them happy. Hopefully you find a group that you like. :)

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Incidentally, we have two gay girls in our pack, and our base cafe is owned by two (different) gay girls.
Obviously, there's a bit of a limit to how much they want to socialize with a bunch of hetero guys outside cycling and coffee.

Max

Gay cycle Group

Postby Max » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Good thing I'm neither hetero nor a guy. Where is this cafe, PawPaw? ;)

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

grnorton

Postby grnorton » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Seems like I need to move to Brisbane! Lots of great posts and thanks to you all! My agenda was I hope transparent! I agree that the ride is the object but there are simple advantages belonging to a group of like minded and wired individuals. I am in a great weekend group of friendly straight guys, but after a while it becomes somewhat tedious when comments about the "big arse" of the female in front or the "big knockers" of the waitress at the coffee shop, are made. Granted I may think about equally politically incorrect aspects of the bum of the guy ahead or the Barista (but its horses for courses! :D :D
Graham

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Max, C Word Nundah. There's usually a group of "AC" (no not a play on AC/DC) riders there after 930am. Kate and her partner run the show, along with a mindfully selected posse of sweet underlings; and in my view make consistently excellent coffee, and some of the bagels are even healthy.

GR, know exactly what you are saying. Good luck with the quest. If you can't find a group, step up and create one. You'll probably find there's a smorgasboard of like minded Adelaidians (or Adel-lads?) wanting to throw a leg over........a saddle. :)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:48 am

PawPaw wrote:GR, know exactly what you are saying. Good luck with the quest. If you can't find a group, step up and create one. You'll probably find there's a smorgasboard of like minded Adelaidians (or Adel-lads?) wanting to throw a leg over........a saddle. :)

Yeah.. why not set one up?? A friend (female) I was riding with recently explained in no uncertain terms that there was a Gentlemans League of Cycling and that the guy in front with the playboy bunnies on his jersey was likely a member. What amused me was that from her reaction just being in the GLOC was effectively shutting doors with many female cyclist, but who am I to say what the GLOC is about. :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Is this the S.A forum or QLD?

From some of the stuff that(p plate) morons yell at me ocasionally I am apparently Gay too. :lol:

My guess is that just like most sporting groups and workplaces there are plenty of gay people quietly partaking in group activities.

Maybe it needs someone like you to start something rolling and provide an opportunity for others to join in.

Would it be worth doing it with the assistance of the group that Max suggested for the benefits of an already established network.

Rainbow Jerseys FTW.