Cyclist Down, Linear Park

Cyclist Down, Linear Park

Postby MisuVir » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:36 am

There was a man injured at the wooden footbridge north-east of the Hackney Rd. I didn't stop to help as there was a medic and assistance there already, but looked like a bearded cyclist, unconscious and in pretty bad shape.

Good reminder to be careful and keep safe.
MisuVir

by BNA » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:33 am

BNA

Re: Cyclist Down, Linear Park

Postby rustychisel » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:33 am

Hope he's alright.

It can be dangerous there, right angle approaches, narrow bridge, washaways and leaves and gravel on approaches. Last time I rode there were signs suggesting cyclists dismount...
rustychisel

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Bugger, that's not good. I use that daily on my way home , and stopped to check on two lads, one of whom had gone over the side into the river a few weeks back. just a little injured pride and an admission of too much speed on entry. luckily they were on the upstream side and not on the floating mat of blue green algae that was there for some time.
BRLVR.v2

Postby MisuVir » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Yeah, those "cyclists dismount" signs at the bridge were put up days after a workmate's friend lost control and went over. That was probably a year ago.

Last year after some rain, I nearly lost it on the downhill there coming towards the city - hit a patch of mud near the top and fishtailed half the way down. It was a good wake-up call to stay alert to the path conditions.
MisuVir

Postby eeksll » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:36 pm

I also rode past when the medic was hanging around. Was trying to figure out where he got out of shape, it looked like he was on the exit side of the bridge (going into town). Almost as if he was riding away from the city and hit the middle of the fork.

For those who don't know: in winter when its wet and you want to avoid that steep little bit going to the bridge you can take this route which avoids both that bridge and the one before. Sometime in heavy rain that bridge can also be flooded

I think you can also leave the track after crossing that first bridge (into town) and take torrens road ie this route I have not tried this one.
eeksll

Return to South Australia