Tour Down Under - Advice needed

rustychisel
Posts: 3471
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Re: Tour Down Under - Advice needed

Postby rustychisel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Sorry, I'm pretty strictly old school, me. Don't even own a Strava, or an HRM... :?

Someone else will be able to advise, I'm sure

cplus
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:17 pm

Re: Tour Down Under - Advice needed

Postby cplus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:16 pm

From norton summit you'd have to be trying pretty hard not to end up that way :)

Climbing belair rd (or the Lynton path!) and then upper sturt (or sheoak if really keen) is another option.

BillR
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:55 am
Location: Adelaide
Contact:

Re: Tour Down Under - Advice needed

Postby BillR » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:09 pm

MattyP wrote:
rustychisel wrote:
MattyP wrote:
I'm interested in locals recommendations for getting up to Stirling via a different route other than the alongside the freeway then up Mount Barker rd?


Magill Road - Norton Summit - Ashton via Uraidla Road, Uraidla, turn right on Piccadilly Valley Road, to Ashton roundabout then on to Stirling


Rusty - got a ride map incorporating this route for me to peruse?

Thanks, Matt



Hope the link works Matt.

The Mt Lofty Scenic Rd is also a nice ride.

http://goo.gl/maps/OR5Jc

cheers
Bill
Image

User avatar
MattyP
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:51 am

Re: Tour Down Under - Advice needed

Postby MattyP » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:44 pm

BillR wrote:Hope the link works Matt.

The Mt Lofty Scenic Rd is also a nice ride.

http://goo.gl/maps/OR5Jc

cheers
Bill


Outstanding. Thanks Bill!

DAVCLARE
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:55 am
Location: Stratton , Perth

Re: Tour Down Under - Advice needed

Postby DAVCLARE » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:23 pm

This will be our fifth year as a group from Perth. Every year it gets better.
We stay in Glenelg and ride to most stages.
You will always find d a group to ride out with and it is great to see all different types of club or shop jerseys which always
creates conversation on the ride.
Take time to visit the tour village and look at some sweet rides.
Adelaide knows how to make cyclists welcome in January.
Enjoy
David
Trek Madone 5.2 2013
[img]http://veloviewer is broken/athlete/1996676//[img]

dclnmurray
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Tour Down Under - Advice needed

Postby dclnmurray » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Guys, just reading about road closures for Old a Willunga hill Stage 5 tomorrow. The road is closed from 6am but are we still able to ride up during the morning to get a spot up the climb?

Cheers

Dave
Image

Dr_Mutley
Posts: 2524
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:28 pm
Location: Flagstaff Hill, Adelaide SA 5159
Contact:

Re: Tour Down Under - Advice needed

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:39 am

Yep u will be able to ride up n down most of the day
Image

User avatar
MattyP
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:51 am

Re: Tour Down Under - Advice needed

Postby MattyP » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Had a great week last week. Ended up riding to Stirling around Belair NP. Especially enjoyed Sturt Valley Rd, which was completely empty, despite the stage being raced not far away!

Also rode back from Willunga on the Saturday for the first time (usually catch a ride with the family). Solid ride but loved both the downhill into Adelaide, and the tailwind. The bike trails in & around Adelaide are outstanding.

Dr_Mutley
Posts: 2524
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:28 pm
Location: Flagstaff Hill, Adelaide SA 5159
Contact:

Re: Tour Down Under - Advice needed

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:01 pm

MattyP wrote:Had a great week last week. Ended up riding to Stirling around Belair NP. Especially enjoyed Sturt Valley Rd, which was completely empty, despite the stage being raced not far away!

Also rode back from Willunga on the Saturday for the first time (usually catch a ride with the family). Solid ride but loved both the downhill into Adelaide, and the tailwind. The bike trails in & around Adelaide are outstanding.


Yep we are very lucky here...
Image

User avatar
elantra
Posts: 2099
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:01 am
Location: Trying to avoid the Brisbane traffic.

Re: Tour Down Under - Advice needed

Postby elantra » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:37 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
MattyP wrote:Had a great week last week. Ended up riding to Stirling around Belair NP. Especially enjoyed Sturt Valley Rd, which was completely empty, despite the stage being raced not far away!

Also rode back from Willunga on the Saturday for the first time (usually catch a ride with the family). Solid ride but loved both the downhill into Adelaide, and the tailwind. The bike trails in & around Adelaide are outstanding.


Yep we are very lucky here...

Just got back (to Bris) last night.
Adelaide region ain't half bad - the Adelaide hills :D , Henley beach :D , Fleurieu peninsula :D , and other places that i don't know about :(
Needless to say there would be some roads that must be avoided - just like any city.
By the way, the accomodation we had was very cyclist friendly - Grand Chifley.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users