Adelaide Bike Kitchen

Adelaide Bike Kitchen

Postby arkle » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:24 am

Just a quick note to promote the Adelaide Bike Kitchen in Bowden.

It's a communal public not for profit bike workshop in a big shed where you pay $2 an hour to use their stands and tools, and there are people around to help you if you get stuck fixing or servicing your bike, and there's lots of secondhand serviceable parts going cheap, and there's a communal seating area, beer by donation, a communal dinner (vegan) cooked by a volunteer at 8pm. The atmosphere is eclectic and funky. It's well worth checking out.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adelaide ... 37?fref=ts

http://www.adelaidebikekitchen.com/

From their site:

We are located at 22 Gibson Street, Bowden. Here we hold workshops every Wednesday from 5 - 8pm followed by a community dinner.

The workshops aim to encourage a further knowledge and understanding between people and their bikes. The workshops are non exclusive and welcome people from all backgrounds and of all levels of experience to teach and learn DIY bike mechanics. We aim to foster peoples relationships with their bikes and promote a bike culture which is social, creative and fun.

The workshops are a sustainable approach to encouraging more people to adopt cycling by breaking down walls around what is involved with maintaining their bike and riding in Adelaide.

We have tools, parts, knowledge and a willingness to help so come along and learn about bikes, fix your bike, build a bike, talk about bikes or just hang out and have fun. We run on a donation based system with everything coming in going towards making the bike kitchen a better place for everyone.

If all that isn’t enough to want to come, there’s a shared community dinner afterwards. What!

arkle
arkle

by BNA » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:09 pm

BNA

Re: Adelaide Bike Kitchen

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Awesome idea... Followed on fakebook
Dr_Mutley

Postby Floorey » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:38 pm

As soon as I have a bike again I'll be there!
Floorey

Postby arkle » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:18 am

Floorey wrote:As soon as I have a bike again I'll be there!

They have a whole "graveyard" of old frames you can appropriate and renovate/build up as a project bike for almost nothing.

arkle
arkle

Return to South Australia