Shipp Bros towing vs Orbea Orca

Shipp Bros towing vs Orbea Orca

Postby scotto » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:41 pm

Vicotr Harbour road, on the way back from Willunga last week. Bikes on the back of the landcruiser.I changed lanes, and noticed the large truck about 20m behind me was getting closer. Was he being a dear friend or on facebook ? Who knew. As The bull bar hit the bike I floored it onto the shoulder. WHen we came to a stop I asked the driver "you realise you hit me"
to which he replied " did I?"

HIs boss later siad visability out of their trucks is bad and even though he ran up the back of us it was our fault because it was uphill and he was in a truck. I wondered about the stopping distance for a large truck travelling about 5km/h up a hill, and my mate the trucker reckons its probably closer to 2m than the 20m(3 car lengths) i gave him !!

luckily the insurance is paying for the repair, which was a tiny longitudinal crack in the seat tube. The rest of the frame checked out ok, and if further dramas present they will be addressed.

The moral is, if you see this truck, hide
scotto

by BNA » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:14 pm

BNA

Re: Shipp Bros towing vs Orbea Orca

Postby MisuVir » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:14 pm

Just trying to picture this.

So... you were travelling along a 2 laned road. You then switched into a lane approximately 3 car lengths in front of a truck that was travelling faster than you. The truck then hit the back of your car. You then claim the truck was travelling at approximately 5 km/hr up a hill... and it somehow ran into the back of you.

Did you change lanes in front of him and then come to a complete stop or something?

Edit: Unless that's supposed to be 50 km/hr and not 5 km/hr.

Either way, I would consider that changing lanes to in front of a vehicle that is moving faster than you is a failure to give way when changing lanes. Of course, I'm sure he could have slowed down, but momentary distraction or misjudgement can easily affect that.
MisuVir

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:42 pm

I know the road pretty well but more info needed. Did you overtake the truck then pull back in front of it. Did you merge coming out of McLaren Vale (going up hill) if so did you cross into his lane without indicating? Did you merge at the end of the two lane section going uphill, this happens a lot on this stretch and vehicle in the outside lane has right of way, vehicles in the left lane have to cross a white lane to merge right.
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus

Postby scotto » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:51 pm

I'd merged into the trucks lame I with a ton of space , traffic for obvious reasons was at a crawl as well. Truckie was probably on Facebook or something . About 10 sec after merging I noticed what was about the happen . Had I not, I suspect the bill would be more than &485!. Pice and nrma were happy I wasn't at fault , though cops said unless it's more than $3000 msg in SA, they don't get involved.
scotto

Return to South Australia