Riverton to Clare Rail Trail.

jbchybridrider

Riverton to Clare Rail Trail.

Postby jbchybridrider » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:28 pm

I just rode the rail trail from Riverton to Clare last weekend for the first time in nearly 3 years.

If you haven't done it for a while or don't know about it now is the time to get up early in the morning and ride it. When I rode it 3 or so years ago the track from Riverton to Auburn was almost completely washed away by water. Now much work has been done with under ground drainage pipes all the old rail bridges that were missing now have brand new steel bridges for bikes and the gravel is perfectly maintained and smooth and finally there's new signage and distance markers the entire length.

From the Riverton cop shop to Clare and back again is bang on 100km's, a good day ride with plenty time to walk around Seven Hill ruins. I just thought it was worth mentioning with spring on the way and the native plants all flowering and good weather :idea:

This pic is where the worst wash outs were, the whole track is like this now.

jbchybridrider

Re: Riverton to Clare Rail Trail.

Postby jbchybridrider » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:52 am

Seeing as I'm the only one here I may as well photo bomb this thread :lol:

I'll add a few points for people who've never done it though. Doing the full 100km you should allow 5 or 6 hours including some stops. Wind is a problem on this ride so check the weather before leaving. I did 100k today and there was wind but not too bad, riding to the turn around point (Clare) it was a head wind but in a low gear, higher cadence, speed 15-20 kph but who cares it was ok. The ride back could often reach 40kph with no effort. Being open cropping and vines land there's no where to hide.

This is what your missing.

The new bridges are nice.

The ultimate gravel grinding tyre ? that's what I think.

Gravel_Rash

Postby Gravel_Rash » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:28 am

I rode this rail trail a couple of months back its a great trail to spend the day exploring.
2011 Trek 7.5 FX
2006 Specialized Hardrock

PA

Postby PA » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:31 am

The little lady and I rode the trail on Saturday from Clare to Auburn and back. The track was good but we had strong headwinds all the way back. Will go back another day and start at Riverton and try for the complete trail.
Mouse magnet

drnickriviera

Postby drnickriviera » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:25 pm

Howdy all! Am considering this ride in a cuppla weeks, visiting from Melbourne. Could this or similar rail trail rides be comfortably done on a Giant Seek? Wheels are currently wearing Maxxis Overdrives 700x38c.

My alternate ride would be my other bike - Giant Trance X 29er. Methinks the Trance would be overkill(?).

Thing is, I can only take one bike with me, limited car space means it's gotta be one or the other. My way of thinking - the Seek would be more versatile with bike paths in n around Adelaide, as well as possibly doing the occasional rail trail rides. Thoughts?

PA

Postby PA » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:39 pm

You Seek and you will be happy Dr Nick.
Mouse magnet

drnickriviera

Postby drnickriviera » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:58 pm

Finally took the plunge and tackled this rail trail on Monday. Started at Riverton, made it all the way up to about 10kms shy of Clare (Penwortham) before I turned around for the return trip. All up, about 73kms done in under 5 hours. Here's some pics. Weather was in the high 20's throughout, some headwind heading back from Penwortham. Bike of choice was my Giant Seek 2, running 700x32c (Maxxis Overdrive) tyres. I've a set of 38c's I wanted to use, but weirdly enough the Seek 2's stock rims are very narrow (Alex DA22 - 14mm width). The higher specced Seeks (i.e. 1, 0) don't seem to have this problem as they're running wider rims. So in my case, 32c it was...

drnickriviera

Postby drnickriviera » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:34 pm

Another update for anyone interested. Came to Adelaide for the TDU again this year, and revisited the Riesling Trail one mid-afternoon. This time with different bike (my new Kona Jake the Snake instead of my ex-Giant Seek), and started from Clare. Headed south to Auburn, and then headed back to Clare. All up about 50kms ish. Some cross wind, temp high 20's, overall was lovely out there.

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:58 pm

Looks like a great ride. Can someone who has done their ride post their Strava Activity, so I can access the gpx file.

PA

Postby PA » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:41 pm

Here is the trail plus the ride onto Burra if you want.
https://www.bikemap.net/en/r/886361/

Here is the Clare to Auburn and return.
https://www.strava.com/activities/203024032

Remember to post pictures of the ride here. :D
Mouse magnet

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks PA. I'm in Clare next month and looking forward to riding the trail

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:20 am

Nice to see people out there enjoying the trail and posting pictures. It's been awhile since I've done it because of health but feeling the itch to see if anythings changed.

Here's one I haven't posted before