TDU Bupa ride without registration

gbickle

Postby gbickle » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:13 pm

I was looking at riding this route from Glenelg to Mt Barker and wouldn't be interested in the support or snack stops etc.

Would it be feasible to just rock up and ride without a registration number?

cage

Re: TDU Bupa ride without registration

Postby cage » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:47 pm

Don't see why not if that's your thing. There public roads so you can ride where you want.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:46 pm

They can't stop you, plenty of pirates do it. Just be aware that there ain't many places to get food / drinks on the route, water refills maybe an issue in the middle third

gbickle

Postby gbickle » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:29 am

From the ride details

"you MUST wear the official 2015 Bupa Challenge Tour jersey for the duration of the ride, as this identifies you as a participant of the event. You will not be able to participate in the ride without one. Security is placed at refreshment stops and at the finish and you will be stopped and questioned without your official event jersey."

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:51 am

I did it once - a long story but the logistics were all FU so I rode 75% of the route after stashing the car and dropping off my partner (who was riding). I made sure I didn't use the official stops, carried what I needed, and at the finish line the security gorilla (hello Weslo people) wouldn't let me ride the last 100m and cross the line. Fair enough.

It's not really kosher, and a lot of people pay a lot of money for a crap jersey and substandard treatment, but if that's what floats your boat....

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:41 pm

The money doesn't bother me that much but man do I hate the idea of having to wear a particular jersey!

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:47 pm

You are a fashion plate without comparison, no doubt. ; )

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:11 pm

Tell me about it. Its bad enough on mass rides that I have to wear a helmet!

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:28 pm

How did u go... I've done it a few times... Never an issue... Take a few bars, plenty of taps along the way, usually no issues....

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:32 pm

I paid cos I was doing it with mates, but I drafted/pulled quite a few non paying roadies in the last 50km or so. If I do it again, I might do it that way too. Anyway the refreshment stops were pretty ordinary. But a fun day, and my biggest ride so far and it didn't hurt as much as I thought it might.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:03 pm

Yeah was a pretty easy roll this year [emoji106]

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:09 am

yugyug wrote:I paid cos I was doing it with mates, but I drafted/pulled quite a few non paying roadies in the last 50km or so. If I do it again, I might do it that way too. Anyway the refreshment stops were pretty ordinary. But a fun day, and my biggest ride so far and it didn't hurt as much as I thought it might.
The refreshment stops were very good. Water at all of them and two had food as well. No queues for water. This was a significant improvement to my previous experience in 2010 when the food and water stops were terrible. Admittedly, the 40 deg temperature didn't help.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:25 am

biker jk wrote:
yugyug wrote:I paid cos I was doing it with mates, but I drafted/pulled quite a few non paying roadies in the last 50km or so. If I do it again, I might do it that way too. Anyway the refreshment stops were pretty ordinary. But a fun day, and my biggest ride so far and it didn't hurt as much as I thought it might.
The refreshment stops were very good. Water at all of them and two had food as well. No queues for water. This was a significant improvement to my previous experience in 2010 when the food and water stops were terrible. Admittedly, the 40 deg temperature didn't help.
2015 BUPA certainly was a fun day. Well organized. I have done a few of these.

2010 was a lot harder, mainly due to heat and headwinds.
2011 was a nice ride. Food- was there anything other than unripe bananas that year?
2014 was a bit tougher, nice finish at Victor Harbour.

An issue is the sheer number of participants, too many for some of the roads.
Some sort of better staggered start process is needed.
I really enjoyed stopping at a cafe at Macclesfield for some real cafe food.
That's what you do these things for, to experience what's left of rural Australia, from the perspective of a bicycle event.

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:19 am

I paid. Found the ride pretty easy, even the KOM. Coming from Tassie wasn't much of a climb. Mt Barker isn't a Mtn, who knew! Refreshment stop was a little poor I thought but I only stopped once maybe other stations were better. Leaving from the first row there wasn't too many weekend warriors to get around. I found a good group for the morning and stayed with them for 3hrs until we all separated then found guys from Tassie so rode with them.
All in all a good ride, great roads and countryside. A lot of respect for the guy who did it on a hand propelled bike.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:27 am

Next you'll be telling us that Mount Lofty is neither a mountain, nor lofty!

MikeM

Postby MikeM » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:29 pm

Had a great 10 Days in Adelaide and will hopefully be coming back next year. Rode approx 650 kms from Sunday to Sunday which included Ride Like Crazy and the Bupa. Would definitely do the Ride Like Crazy again and would recommend it to everyone, was a more laid back affair and a lot of fun. As for the Bupa i'm not so sure, it was a well organized event but the shear number of people is not really my scene, but never say never.
I think people who latch onto these events without paying are overlooking the charity side of it. If you don't want the crappy shirt or need to use the refreshment stops maybe make a donation to the sponsored charities.
The whole TDU was a real buzz and Adelaide was fantastic.
Well done Adelaide.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:21 pm

Always a fantastic time here in Adelaide! Come back now all ya hear?!

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:39 pm

I have ridden a lot of these event rides unregistered and carry a few tools/ lube/ extra tubes. i help anyone i see in trouble.
That way i feel the karma evens out. As a single income family i can't afford 150 bux for another jersey i won't wear.

adam79

Postby adam79 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:06 pm

MikeM wrote:I think people who latch onto these events without paying are overlooking the charity side of it. If you don't want the crappy shirt or need to use the refreshment stops maybe make a donation to the sponsored charities.
The whole TDU was a real buzz and Adelaide was fantastic.
Well done Adelaide.
I don't think any of your $150 goes to charity, it just covers the jersey, refreshments and road closures. They say that the cancer council is the official charity partner and you can choose to "ride for a reason" which involves raising your own money for the cancer council. If you raise more than $1000 they will give you free entry into the Bupa ride.

r11ss

Postby r11ss » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:04 pm

I can understand the open roads argument when saying you shouldn't feel obliged to pay, however there are a million other roads you can use on the day of the BUPA. Choosing to do that route on that day implies to me that you want all the benefits without paying for them. I would say most people would frown at that attitude.

cage

Postby cage » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:09 pm

What benefits? Your riding on a public road, there are no benefits.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

r11ss

Postby r11ss » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:21 pm

If there are no benefits then why ride on those roads on that day?

cage

Postby cage » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:35 pm

Why not? You don't get anything for riding that route on the day unless your a Bupa rider so whats the big deal?
Are you going to start dictating to people as to which public roads they can or can not ride?

r11ss

Postby r11ss » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:38 pm

Just because you don't physically receive anything on the day doesn't mean you are not benefitting.

cage

Postby cage » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:50 pm

oh, please...excuse me for daring to ride a road of MY choosing. :roll: