Tumby Bay/Port Lincoln Area

averagerider

Tumby Bay/Port Lincoln Area

Postby averagerider » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi All

At the start of Feb I am being dragged to Tumby Bay for a week and a half for a holiday. Now I'm sure it's a great place and am looking forward to going there, it's just the company I'm going with (wife's parents and sisters family).

So I thought I would pop on here and find out if there are any good riding loops out that way, hopefully take my bike so I can have some alone time.

Any info or pointing me in the direction to find some about riding around that area would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Luke

silentbutdeadly

Re: Tumby Bay/Port Lincoln Area

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:27 am

Looks like a few good segments on Strava...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

averagerider

Postby averagerider » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Back from the holiday just what I expected, spent most days on the bike.

Just in case anyone ever goes to Tumby Bay, there is the town loop which is about 10-12km depending on which way you go.

There is also the ride to Cummins which is about 80km return ( or Yallunda Flats is about 40km ish on the same road) features the Bracken Way climb and some rolling hills

Any other rides incorporate the Lincoln HWY but I didn't go along there due to the road trains (they are much bigger than me and I didn't want to mess with them)

Cheers

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:19 am

God thinking taking a bike with you. I've never been to the Port Lincoln area but any of the towns on SA's west coast is worth exploring without knowing what your going to see.

I recently went to Moonta just for the day with a bike. Spent the day exploring all the historic sights, mines and the coast line and all around town, Brilliant!! Did you take any photo's ? Hope you don't mind me putting pic's here :mrgreen:

mick243

Postby mick243 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:10 pm

jbchybridrider wrote:God thinking taking a bike with you. I've never been to the Port Lincoln area but any of the towns on SA's west coast is worth exploring without knowing what your going to see.

I recently went to Moonta just for the day with a bike. Spent the day exploring all the historic sights, mines and the coast line and all around town, Brilliant!! Did you take any photo's ? Hope you don't mind me putting pic's here :mrgreen:

I wouldnt exactly call Moonta a "town on SA's west coast".... but it is a lovely spot - nice places to ride, great places and clear water for a swim.... you could almost do a triathalon there if running was fun!

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:19 pm

Yeah west is a bit of a stretch. Your right about the clear water, would feel like floating in space while snorkelling. While out on the jetty I could also imaging a Great White gliding past :!:

parafas

Postby parafas » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi guys

if someone come to visit port lincoln and want to ride with groups, below a few group rides:
Tues - 9am - Peninsula Pedallers - Arteyre Market - until national park entrance and back - 24km (MTB/Road easy)
Wed - 5:30pm - Cluster cycles bike shop
Sat - 8am - Sharks Lincoln - Kinkawooka mussels (6 Proper Bay Rd - opposite the horse race course) - 50km (fast)
Sun - 8am - Sharks Lincoln - Kinkawooka mussels (6 Proper Bay Rd - opposite the horse race course) - 40km (fast)

Sat - 8am - Peninsula Pedallers - Arteyre Market - 40km (easy)
Sun - 9am - Peninsula Pedallers -Arteyre Market - 40km (easy)

other tips:
Pt lincoln - Cummins - Pt LIncoln - 150km
Pt lincoln - Coffins Bay National Park - 130km (return)
Pt Lincoln - Surflet Cove - Pt Lincoln National Park - 70km (return)
Pt Lincoln - Memory Cove - Pt LIncoln National Park (MTB) - 110km (return) or 70km (return)
Pt Lincoln - Fisheries Bay (MTB) - 70km (return)

MTB: there are few trails cruising boston bay and proper bay, investigator trail in the lincoln national park.
if some one wants to have a look in the tracks let me know then I will post some of our strava rides.

cheers
raff