Bells on Bikes

MikeM

Bells on Bikes

Postby MikeM » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:37 am

Coming to S.A. for the TDU with my bike. It looks like having a bell or horn on your bike is a legal requirement in S.A.
Should I get a bell or is it a requirement that is not enforced. I would hate to get to a planned ride and not be allowed to ride because my bike is not legal.
I don't have an issue with having a bell its just that when I get home it will come off and probably never be used again.
Thanks,
Mike.

kb

Re: Bells on Bikes

Postby kb » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:21 am

I use a $5 BBB bell that is fitted with a silicon band. Originally just for bike paths but I've found right on the end of my drops it's mostly out of the way but easy to access by swiping the outside of the bars. Doesn't seem to do much in warning cars but it's useful for Melbourne's "Copenhagen" lanes.

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:44 am

It's the law in nsw too, I've never seen it enforced here though.

I have a little "flick" type one on my commuter and it's well worth having to try and warn the iPeds I'm coming. Could be worthwhile for the crowds at TDU, legally required or not.

RonK

Bells on Bikes

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:12 pm

kb wrote:use a $5 BBB bell that is fitted with a silicon band.

And attach it to the seatpost. :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:25 pm

KGB wrote:It's the law in nsw too, I've never seen it enforced here though.

Reg 258 in the Australian road rules requires a bell or a horn or a similar warning device to be equipped on bicycles. I believe this applies to all states and territories.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:12 pm

These rules are archaic and date from the days when bikes were the fastest thing around, and could possibly startle horses and pedestrians alike. They only remain due to regulatory laziness, in my view.

Strangely, few would expect or receive a friendly warning toot from a passing motorist, though it has happened on rare occasions. Not really sure what horns are even for.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

weldin_mike_27

Postby weldin_mike_27 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Image not really cool but loud and cheap.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:02 pm

I've never heard of anyone in SA being pinged :) (pun intended) for not having a bell. I have one one my MTB because I CBFd taking it off but none of my roadies have one. I don't know of any ride organiser or ride group that enforce the bell requirement, you should be fine.
Kuota Kharma, Fuji Altamira, mongrel of an Orbea TT bike and an MTB thingy.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:02 pm

cyclotaur wrote:These rules are archaic and date from the days when bikes were the fastest thing around, and could possibly startle horses and pedestrians alike. They only remain due to regulatory laziness, in my view.

Strangely, few would expect or receive a friendly warning toot from a passing motorist, though it has happened on rare occasions. Not really sure what horns are even for.

Bells are not analogous to car horns. We have them because pedestrians on shared paths and footpaths are prone to turning suddenly, flinging their arms out and doing all sorts of things they rightly should be able to do as pedestrians. Conversely, on the road cars, bikes and trucks are meant to look and indicate before turning, leaving a lane or doing something erratic.

But I agree in that the requirement should not be to have a bell, but to give warning when necessary. The human voice can do that. Fines should only be necessary when a cyclist causes an accident that could have been avoided by proper warning - by any means. Maybe not even then - if strict liability works in favour of peds already such fines may be redundant.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:38 pm

Well .... I think they are. Anyway have never used or needed a bell in 50 years of riding. I use the horn in my car more !! Probably 'cos in a car no one can hear you scream...

Interestingly, the earliest motor vehicles were required to have a man walk ahead with a warning flag .... I guess they gave up on that once the first flag man was run down by the first 'faster than walking pace' contraption. :D
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:38 am

cyclotaur wrote:Anyway have never used or needed a bell in 50 years of riding

Round here abouts we have a major cycle path near a major sporting venue. Which has events starting about an hour after the evening rush hour. A bell, a cheery disposition and much patience are mandatory to navigate the oblivious pedestrians.

Bells are also a requirement in WA
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:58 am

Thoglette wrote:A bell, a cheery disposition and much patience are mandatory to navigate the oblivious pedestrians.

I like the cut of your jib. Work with the conditions, don't struggle against them :).

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:17 pm

As mentioned it isnt enforced, same as reflectors.
However would be useful for pedestrians if you plan on being at the start and finishes of the TDU