Rider with unhelmeted child wearing Strava nicks ...

Warin

Postby Warin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:52 am

On the TV this morning (channel 7 Sydney Sunrise).. a video of a rider (wearing a helmet and Strava nicks) with a young child not wearing a helmet.
Filmed by a passenger in a truck .. was told to put a helmet on the child and respond that it is not a legal requirement and gave the finger..
Major road in Adelaide .. Channel 7 ..

It is a legal requirement ...
The only reason he was not booked is the cops could not find him.
From http://www.amygillett.org.au/sa-cycle-s ... oad-rules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Each person must wear an approved helmet

From http://www.lawstuff.org.au/sa_law/topic ... rules#bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do I have to wear a helmet?

Yes, it’s against the law if you don’t wear a helmet on a bicycle. It doesn’t matter if you are riding the bike yourself, carrying someone with you who isn’t wearing a helmet or riding on a tandem bike with someone else. If you’re caught, both the rider and the passenger could be fined $96.

The only exception is if you belong to the Sikh religion and you wear a turban.
------------------
Recommend ? The rider comes forward .. to the police.. and to the press .. and makes a large donation to a charity .. say $400 .. maybe the Amy Gillett foundation?

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:17 am

I wouldn't be too quick to judge - the rider may have erroneously quoted the law to get another road user off his back, but he may have another reason for not putting the helmet in his child. Perhaps he's concerned there is no or very little evidence for helmet efficacy in small children.
Last edited by yugyug on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:17 am

Duplicate post

rodneycc

Re: Rider with unhelmeted child wearing Strava nicks ...

Postby rodneycc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:26 am

I don't condone this but there can sometimes be some circumstances where its unavoidable. I had the rather unpleasant experience one day with my autistic daughter who likes to ride in the kiddie trailer but doesn't like to wear a helmet. She normally isn't allowed to ride without the helmet so she usually reluctantly puts it on.

One day however she was in one of her moods and put it on to start with but half way through the ride she was throwing it off and I would have to stop every hundred meters and pick it up (luckily on a bike path). If it wasn't throwing it overboard the helmet was used to grind up against the back wheel and once almost put through the spokes (luckily at low speed and bounced off). So with a few kms left to get home I've taken the helmet off and kept it with me on the handlebars so its not an actual danger. So we finally get close to home through the back streets of my estate and I get verbaled by this guy who has no idea what I've been through yells at me in the street "kid should have a helmet on, blah blah blah". Felt like punching the carp out of him to be honest.

Anyway all I'm saying is sometimes you don't know the whole story (or yes the guy could of been a complete knob but who knows).
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:32 am

Because a half-inch thick styrofoam hat is really going to help anybody in a collision with a truck? :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=82 ... 45&fref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a really stupid law that is clearly a barrier to more people taking up utility cycling. The reduction in head injuries doesn't quite track the reduction in overall cycling numbers, because the rate of injury per exposure hour has gone *up*. And the societal consequences of the resulting increase in sedentary lifestyle choice of using the car for short trips instead are now becoming apparent.

Will I continue to wear a helmet myself? For commuting and mountain biking absolutely. But for trips to the shops I'd like the option to feel the wind in my hair without being harassed for it.

Leave the guy alone. The focus on placing the onus on the victims of road violence instead of the perpetrators is getting old. Where else do we tolerate this inversion of values? Ridiculous.

Warin

Postby Warin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:43 am

trailgumby wrote:Because a half-inch thick styrofoam hat is really going to help anybody in a collision with a truck where the driver is taking a photo of you with his mobile phone? :lol:
:roll: The truck drivers WIFE in the PASSENGERS seat took the photos/video ..and she was the one talking to the rider.. not the truck driver... fairly apparent that the video is from the passengers seat!

As a society 'we' insist on seat belts, motorcycle helmets, (and maybe coming up inoculations) .. and bicycle helmets.. If the law is flouted then 'we' can expect a reaction by others .. some of that may be more aggression towards all cyclists.

======================
rodneycc ... yep kids ... suggest if the child does not want to ware the hat .. they and you walk .. once exhausted they might want to ware the hat? Keeps the rule of riding = hat.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:09 am

Think I was ready to toss her under the truck myself by that stage! :-) No much you can do with a 55kg imoveable object in a trailer with little reasoning ability other than trying and get home as quick as possible.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:17 am

Recommend? people who live in glass houses don't throw stones...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:16 am

Warin wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Because a half-inch thick styrofoam hat is really going to help anybody in a collision with a truck where the driver is taking a photo of you with his mobile phone? :lol:
:roll: The truck drivers WIFE in the PASSENGERS seat took the photos/video ..and she was the one talking to the rider.. not the truck driver... fairly apparent that the video is from the passengers seat!
Correct. Edited to remove the reference to the driver before I saw your post.
Warin wrote:As a society 'we' insist on seat belts, motorcycle helmets, (and maybe coming up inoculations) .. and bicycle helmets.. If the law is flouted then 'we' can expect a reaction by others .. some of that may be more aggression towards all cyclists.
'We' also insist on locking up children of asylum seekers and denying them quality education. Not every law is a good law. Some of them are so egregious they demand civil disobedience as a matter of conscience.

I'm not sure MHLs fit into this category, but it is apparent that some do think this way.

Warin

Postby Warin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:22 am

One thing .. this is a press report .. might be a slow news day so they may have grabbed it to fill space.. could be old.

Link to video https://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video/w ... -on-board/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

human909

Postby human909 » Mon May 04, 2015 5:18 pm

Oh dear. Road abuse is being encouraged on national television. "Good on your wife for giving him a spray".

This is a daily activity in other countries. :roll:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 04, 2015 9:23 pm

They must of run out of stories about the latest fashion in handbags.

The article referrers to the cyclist as "he" but looking at the low quality video footage, is the cyclist female?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 04, 2015 9:42 pm

My inner pedant wants to know where you can get child size Strava knicks