seeking cyclists reactions to new road rules

AD2015

seeking cyclists reactions to new road rules

Postby AD2015 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi all,

Now that SA motorists have had some time to get used to the new road rules requiring minimum distances when passing cyclists on the road, I'm interested in cyclists impressions of how things have changed?
In particular I'm keen to hear from cyclists who ride in over 60 kph zones on country roads.
What I have found that when there in no approaching traffic motorists generally give a wide berth, i.e. 1.5 metres plus. This is great! :)
However, almost without exception when there is oncoming traffic motorists continue their old ways of not slowing down until they can safely pass giving 1.5 metres distance to the cyclist (me :( ) but instead pass at uninterrupted speed often with distances well below 1.5 metres. I'm not sure I encourage them by generally riding on the verge? I'm finding the attitude of motorists thus far seems to be, 'I'm not slowing down unless there is something actually blocking the lane in front of me!?'. A bit unfortunate!
Hopefully others are having better experiences?
Cheers!
A.D.

stretts

Re: seeking cyclists reactions to new road rules

Postby stretts » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:37 pm

I've had mostly positive experiences, but i don't usually ride out in the country, more of a commute into the city type rider. I did have an intentional punishment pass the other week - didnt have my camera on the bike at the time, im sure it would have been interesting to see what the Police would have done about it.

simlin

Postby simlin » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:26 am

I commute every day 17.4km each way (plus more if I get up early) and normally a 3-4hr ride on Sundays. I hadn't experienced any close passes all year until Friday, when I left home before 5:30am for an extended commute including Mt Lofty and experienced two, almost identical close passes (waiting to turn at a set of lights (2 turning lanes) and the car waiting behind couldn't wait for me to clear the intersection and move over into the bike lane...I couldn't believe it! especially seeing as they were both before 6am so traffic was extremely light...must have been the heatwave.

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:36 pm

I mostly commute via shared paths and side streets. I try to avoid main roads as much as possible, but there are a couple I need to use for short distances.

I can't say that I've noticed any better or worse behaviour. I've gotten the usual punishment passes even though I'm riding in an on-road bicycle lane. Had one guy approaching from behind pass me then swerve into the bike lane in front of me for no reason.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:23 am

I've noticed that, in general, drivers seem to be leaving more room, however it hasn't stopped the close passes.

stretts

Postby stretts » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:44 pm

The overall effect has probably been improving attitudes of already competent drivers who may have come a little close without intentionally doing so, while making no difference to those who intentionally close pass to scare

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:13 pm

I didn't want to start a new thread so here are some statistics for the three month grace period relating to the minimum passing distance law.

During the education ‘phase’ police issued 10 cautions to motorist for failing to keep a safe lateral distance when passing a cyclist – five of those were issued to drivers for being less than 1m from a cyclist (in 60km/h zones) and five were for being less than 1.5m from a cyclist (in over 60 km/h zones).

In the same three month period police received 56 complaints via the Traffic Watch system reporting motorists for failing to keep a safe lateral distance.

http://www.bikesablog.com/2016/02/new-c ... concludes/

bikeforest

Postby bikeforest » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:55 pm

I've had many people leave plenty of room, even when I'm in the bike lane.

AD2015

Postby AD2015 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:31 pm

Just a short update from my perspective, cycling up here in the Riverland (still clocking up three 75 km rides a week).
No real change actually, many drivers giving plenty of room but generally not doing so if it requires slowing down because of oncoming traffic; so the close passes continue on the open road.
I came home after my last ride and said to my wife, "I wish I had a Go-Pro on my bike!". I just had a 4WD Car (one of those who are driven by those responsible for law enforcement) give me (in my estimate) about 3 feet of clearance with him/her travelling (in my estimate) at about 95kph in a 110kph zone - no traffic coming from the opposite direction and on a straight stretch of road. I was less than impressed! (under-statement).
I had my brain in neutral at the time as I really should have tried to recall the rego number :(
I think these new laws will be hard to police/enforce.
Keep safe!
A.D.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:23 pm

Visiting from WA it is hard not to be impressed with the amount of room most folk are leaving me. First ride was near Streaky Bay but so little traffic it was hard to form a view.

Had a good ride today around the Barossa through Tununda, Williamstown, Mt Pleasant, Eden Valley, Angaston and Nurioopta today. 99% of drivers were very courteous, many slowed to let on-coming traffic pass and all bar one left plenty of room. The one I suspect was a bit under the weather - he hugged the white line until he was out of sight and was probably only going about 70kph at best. I was pretty happy when some time later I passed him but this time he was to the left of the road with a nice chap driving a car with flashing lights in attendance.

Off to the Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island next.