Victor harbour to Adelaide next week

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi guys

Next Wednesday my bike and I need to get back to Adelaide (well Flagstaff Hill) from Victor Harbour

I found this route:
https://www.strava.com/activities/9439587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was thinking of turning around when I got to Adelaide and cruising up to Mount Lofty again (I'm training for the Falls Creek Challenge) then riding over to Flagstaff Hill from the top there

Any thoughts, concerns, comments?

you cannot be sirrus

Re: Victor harbour to Adelaide next week

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:52 pm

Should be fairly quiet midweek so shouldn't pose any problems. I've PMed another route which a friend did last week in the reverse direction.

You could go Hindmarsh Tiers Rd to Myponga, then follow the coast or head towards Willunga via Pages Flat Rd, you get a few cattle trucks along there but I don't mind it. From there you have a few options to get to Flagstaff Hill, quietish bike paths or more scenic rolling hills through Blewitt Springs and Clarendon.

Fipsy

Postby Fipsy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:58 pm

I'd go with Sirrus' recommendation - Hindmarsh Tiers, Pages Flat Rd, up to top of Old Willunga Hill, along Range Rd down to Wickhams Hill, then towards Kangarilla, turn left into Bakers Gully Rd, then to Clarendon and then up to Flagstaff Hill from there.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:46 am

so like this:
https://www.strava.com/routes/3943389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

then if i feel ok, add this:
https://www.strava.com/routes/3943400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fipsy

Postby Fipsy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:20 pm

jasonc wrote:so like this:
https://www.strava.com/routes/3943389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

then if i feel ok, add this:
https://www.strava.com/routes/3943400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's the one!

If you wanted to add a little to it, there's a nice loop you can do from Mt. Compass(Goolwa side), up Cleland Gully Rd to Tooperang, TL onto Goolwa Rd, TL Nangkita Rd, TR Enterprise Rd and up to the top of Willunga Hill that way. Not a hilly loop, but nice riding, though the gradual rise back up to Willunga Hill is a good workout. You can see this loop as part of this route I do here: http://www.strava.com/routes/3814646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:39 pm

thanks Fipsy. But I think the extra bit I have in mind may be more my choice as my ride days (and time) will be limited

Fipsy

Postby Fipsy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:47 pm

jasonc wrote:thanks Fipsy. But I think the extra bit I have in mind may be more my choice as my ride days (and time) will be limited
All good. Enjoy the ride.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:48 pm

Well I'm in SA. The bike survived the trip. Down in victor harbour at the moment. I did a small loop this morning with crows nest rd. Looking forward to the ride up to Adelaide on Wednesday
tapatalk for Windows Phone. For when you want it done right

Fipsy

Postby Fipsy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:55 pm

jasonc wrote:Well I'm in SA. The bike survived the trip. Down in victor harbour at the moment. I did a small loop this morning with crows nest rd. Looking forward to the ride up to Adelaide on Wednesday
Will you be joining in the Bupa Challenge on Friday?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:04 pm

No fipsy. I have another plan for Friday. I think it involves the corkscrew

Releng

Postby Releng » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:55 pm

I road the corkscrew yesterday and the Norton Summit today. Decent climbs. Tough going in the Adelaide heat for a poor Hobart boy.
Out to Lyndoch to watch the first stage tomorrow
Mick

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:48 am

I live in flagstaff hill... I ride back n forth from victor a bit... I usually choose safety over kms down there as the roads are damn dangerous...

By far the safest route from Victor is..,,

Victor harbor... Exit town via Seaview rd (turn left at McDonald's roundabout)...Seaview turns into greenhills rd, which turns into hutchisons road, which takes u to Hindmarsh tiers road... Turn left and ride to myponga... Turn right on onto pages flat road.... Turn left onto the main victor harbour road (death trap) and head towards Adelaide for 1km...

Turn right onto Old Willunga hill road and descend this iconic tdu road into Willunga... Take main road to mclarenvsle... Then take bike path which takes u over to the expressway... Turn left at the bottom of the expressway, and take the veloway to majors road... Turn right, head along majors to south road, then continue along blacks road to flagstaff hill...,

Under no circumstances ride on victor harbour road (u will die!)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:52 am

More importantly there is only 2 places with decent coffee in victor. Ninos is the local bike cafe, and does decent coffee and pizza, owned by a local cyclist..... Avondale cafe, owned also by a local cyclist, and great guy, in Ocean st is also good (Mahalia) coffee... Rest is poor... Over in port Elliot the is a coffee roaster that works out of a factory in the back blocks of port Elliot, called degroots coffee.. Very popular in the victor bike scene... They have a small cafe open in their factory...

If u want some advice on training routes from Flaggy pm me... I ride about 400 to 500kms/wk, done 3 peaks, and will be riding most days of the TDU... [emoji106]

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:05 am

Thanks Dr mutley.. I don't drink coffee [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] .
My time is limited unfortunately so will fit in what I can. Tomorrow I was thinking about riding up the freeway after riding up from victor, depending on how hot it is.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:56 pm

I made it to flagstaff hill
https://www.strava.com/activities/474199512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Changed the extra from Greenhill rd to the old freeway climb as that's what everyone was already doing due to tdu

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Greenhill rd is my favourite climb but u need to pick your times... Can be damn dangerous as obviously no shoulder... Freeway is a good option going up, although u still need to keep eyes peeled... There always head-ons on the track due to inattentive cyclists... Greenhill rd is a great descent tho, as long as u don't get stuck behind a car...

Well done on the ride [emoji106]

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:04 pm

The plan is Greenhill rd for Friday morning now, along with the corkscrew (in the opposite order)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:53 am

Sad day. Mrs Jasonc cracked it at me last night so today was just riding in with my mate and then home again. Came home via belair rd which got me a bit of climbing at least. So will have to be next time for Norton summit and the corkscrew