Recommend a ride in Adelaide while at TDU

Gashead

Postby Gashead » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:20 am

Hi Guys,

Coming across for the TDU. Riding in the BUPA ride (140km). Just wondering whether anyone can recommend a 'classic Adelaide' route for my Sunday ride. Looking for something between 50 to 80km to keep the legs turning but be back at the hotel ready for breakfast with the family.

Anything similar to a 'Beach Rd' in Melbourne, or 'Around the River' here in Perth. However I do enjoy the hills so a classic climb is probably a preferable option.

Thanks,
Gashead

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:42 am

Flat or hills?
Where u staying?

If u want beach road like flat ride, then ride to Glenelg then head north along the coast, all the way to the roundabout at outer harbor.... U can then head back, or head thru the carpark at OH and sit on the seats on the waters edge....

Probably the 2 iconic Adelaide hills loops are:

1) Mt Lofty (shorter)
Head down glen osmond road to start of freeway at toll gates... Take bike path to crafers... Then turn left for the final ascent up my lofty... Then descend back down into Adelaide via Cleland and greenhill road...,

2) lobethal loop
Ride to lobethal via norton summit (take old norton summit road... Takes u all the way to lobethal... Head back to Adelaide via gorge road via Cudlee creek.... Either take gorge road all the way back into Adelaide, or turn left up Corkscrew road, which is an (short) iconic Adelaide climb... Then descend back into town via Montacute road (very pretty)..,
Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fipsy

Re: Recommend a ride in Adelaide while at TDU

Postby Fipsy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:51 am

Most of my riding is 'sea and vines' down McLaren Vale way, including Old Willunga Hill. If you're city based, you'll most likely find yourself heading up towards Norton Summit (another classic climb, as per the Bupa ride).

Gashead

Postby Gashead » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:14 pm

Thanks Guys, should have included that we are staying in the city and my preference is for the hills rather than flat and the sea.

simlin

Postby simlin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:31 pm

He is doing Norton Summit as part of the Bupa Challenge, so probably Lofty then down greenhill or Montacute to extend it out a bit...I am a bit torn as to whether I enjoy the greenhill rd or Montacute rd descent better (ok montacute rd is better)...having said that the Lobethol loop with corky at the end is also a favourite of mine, basket range is beautiful. I loath gorge rd descent after the corskscrew rd turn-off...the road is so poor.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:14 pm

Greenhill beats montacute due to length, but montacute is prettier... I'm with u about gorge rd.. Can't stand the last section so always go up the corkscrew then either turn left or right depending on where the legs are at.. We are blessed here in Adelaide [emoji106]

simlin

Postby simlin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:50 am

One day I will actually turn up Torrens Hill rd to Paracombe like they did on the tour last year before the Gorge rd descent as I live near the bottom of Anstey Hill, but the pull of Corkscrew is just too great..,.would love to be out there today!

Completely off topic...well kind of...but I glanced at the ride like crazy route map and laughed when they showed an escape route taking corkscrew/montacute to the finish instead of continuing down gorge because it was longer...some poor broken riders would have gotten a rude shock when they took that escape route. A work colleague told me he was going down corkscrew on sunday and there were people walking and layed waste on the side of the road everywhere...reminiscent of the last time the tour challenge ride finished in victor harbour into a very strong head wind...ok I am rambling now and will shut up. Happy trails.

PS that is why am am torn...because Greenhill is so much longer and faster with fantastic views of the city...but I do love the lower slopes of Mantacute...fast corners.

OK new plan...Mt lofty via old fwy, greenhill descent, Norton summit then montacute descent. Meet tollgate bottom of FWY at 6am sunday. ;) If I make it back from Victor by then. If you have time you could break up the montacute descent with a descent then climb of corkscrew...check todays stage coverage for corskscrew climb followed by montacute descent...

Gashead

Postby Gashead » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:45 pm

Gents,

Appreciate all the suggestions. Took the option of Old Norton Rd (as people said, did Norton Rd during BUPA), then across to Lobethal, Cudlee Creek, Corkscrew and then into Adelaide. 77km and 1,300m climbing. Fantastic ride and exactly what I was looking for. Great roads, excellent scenery, OK coffee and beautiful weather.

Really made the weekend and certainly made the effort of carting the bike across from Perth worthwhile.

simlin

Postby simlin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:34 am

Excellent. Would have been a nice ride. I did eventually get out for a ride Saturday after the kids were in bed but only managed a tick over 40km with Anstey hill thrown in before it got dark then down into Golden Grove.