Looking for Cycling Partners

avichapman

Looking for Cycling Partners

Postby avichapman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:57 pm

Over the last year I have taken great delight in exploring Adelaide and the surrounding countryside in longer and longer day trips. Recently, I did 139 km from Sturt out to Birdwood and back to Sturt and loved it. However, my wife worries about me and she made me promise from now on to stay on separate bike paths or to go in a group.

For me the most fun part of cycling is going somewhere new or going further each time. I find limiting myself to the bike paths to be too confining. I'm looking for other people of a like mind who might want to join me on some of these day trips out into the country. I also have a long-term dream of biking to Melbourne.

Is anyone interested? Can anyone point me to a resource to help connect me?

rpmspinman

Re: Looking for Cycling Partners

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:13 pm

If you're on Facebook, I recommend joining up with the Southern Suburbs Road Cyclists or the acronym SSRC. They are a great bunch of people with varying riding abilities from beginner to seasoned crit riders. Im sure there will be lots of willing friends who are more than capable there that will join you on a mid week run or weekend ride. WE also have weekly Saturday rides scheduled from either Becks Bakehouse in Port Noarlunga or The Cottage Bakery in Mclaren Vale going on varying routes each week.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/souther ... dcyclists/

For the Melbourne ride, there is one coming up next year. Check out www.freewheelingcycletours.com.au for more details.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

avichapman

Postby avichapman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Thanks for the info. I've sent a request to SSRC group. I'm also really excited about the Melbourne ride, but I don't think I'll be able to do 2017 as I'm not yet fast enough and don't own a road bike. I assume a hybrid is not good enough?

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:22 pm

avichapman wrote:Thanks for the info. I've sent a request to SSRC group. I'm also really excited about the Melbourne ride, but I don't think I'll be able to do 2017 as I'm not yet fast enough and don't own a road bike. I assume a hybrid is not good enough?
If you can keep up with the pace, it doesnt matter what you ride. I know of some people who can keep up with roadies on a flat bar without too much trouble. But you have about 5months to train and why not give it a crack with the SSRC guys? Again. They are a top bunch of people.

Shav
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

avichapman

Postby avichapman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:28 pm

Sounds like a great plan. :D

mhanna

Postby mhanna » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:32 pm

I know this is an old post, and you are probably long gone. But how did you go finding a cycling partner? I'm actually not far from you and it seems we share a little in common.