Campervan spots for TDU

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Campervan spots for TDU

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:11 am

Heading over for the TDU next month with a couple of mates. We have rented a campervan for the week & will be following the race in it. The one thing I am unsure of is what our options are in terms of parking it overnight. Ideally we can find a spot off the side of the road TDF style and sit out the front of it & watch the race go by then leave it there for the remainder of the evening, thereby negating the need for a designated driver. I know in certain parts of Vic (e.g. the Great Ocean Rd) we wouldnt last 10 minutes before getting a) fined, b) moved on or most likely c) both.

Anyone know what our chances of camping roadside are? Or will we have to drive to (and stump up for) a powered site in a park somewhere?
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

PA

Re: Campervan spots for TDU

Postby PA » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:26 pm

You should have no problems almost anywhere in the hills. The Peoples Choice warmup and the final day are the only times you will need to sort out your location before but it wont be trackside for those two days. You should be able to camp with in crawling distance.

For the days out of Adelaide I would drive to area you want and find a flat parking area and kick back and soak in the beer.

Possible parking locations to free camp.

Peoples Choice Classic.
Parking along East Terrace but you will have to be there early.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/15 ... ed737bfd9f

Final day.
Park on either Frome Road between MacKinnon Parade and War Memorial Drive or on War Memorial Drive opposite the Zoo. We often see a camper or two parked on these roads.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/No ... 54628ebac0

I am doing the Ride for a cure on the Friday. If anyone would like to support me please visit my page here, http://sa.cancercouncilfundraising.org.au/peterarnold Thanks to anyone who is able to make a Tax deductible donation.
Mouse magnet

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Le sigh.... looks like we will need to plug into power every couple of days to recharge the battery in the van. Looks like we might be hitting up some camp sites after all (and drawing straws for designated driver).
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:56 pm

How about hiring/buying a cheapy generator?

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:03 pm

wicksey wrote:How about hiring/buying a cheapy generator?
Contemplated it. Wouldnt be hooking up a rather new/large (i.e. expensive) rented camper to anything other than a pure sine wave inverter given i'm unsure whether a 240v feed will purely charge the battery or whether it will also run appliances. As such, it's probably not worth the hassle/effort.

PA

Postby PA » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Stage 1 Williamstown Caravan Park. Short distance from track which they go past 4 times. https://goo.gl/maps/3qsJ2kLbK1F2
Stage 2 Head down to see the start loop near Aldgate and then plan to travel north to take in the finish at Paracombe. As the start is in Glenelg for Stage 3 I would head into Adelaide and park around here for the night. We often see campervans here on our morning rides. Overnight you can eat out in Glenelg or catch the tram into town which stops at the entrance to the TDU village.
Stage 3 goes to Victor Harbor. Nothing to see once they leave Glenelg until they get down to Selicks Hill for the KOM then drive to Victor Harbor for their laps of the town.
As Stage 4 is again North you need to decide if you want to stay down south or head back.
Stage 5 almost anywhere along the route and nobody is going to say move along.
Sunday for Stage 6 use one these options. We regularly see a camper or two here and here.
Mouse magnet