Getting from Victor Harbor to Miningie

k8

Getting from Victor Harbor to Miningie

Postby k8 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:35 pm

Hey! Just wondering if it is possible to cycle along the coast from Victor Harbor to Miningie. Google seems to think it is possible, but I am a bit skeptical. If anyone has cycled here before please let me know!

Link

(The map I linked seems to open with driving directions, but if you switch it to cycling it goes along the coast.)

RonK

Re: Getting from Victor Harbor to Miningie

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:07 am

A few years ago I was planning a route and had the same question.

I believe the route shown by Google Maps crosses the Murray River via the Goolwa Barrages.

I emailed the local tourist authority but they replied that the barrages are not open to public access.

There is another thread here which gives the same answer, and also GJ Coop confirmed it on his website.

And the Coorong NP map makes it pretty clear also.

Such a pity - it looks like it would be a lovely ride and would save a lot of time/distance.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:40 am

Can't be done unfortunately. You'll have to take the scenic route around the lakes.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:43 am

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:42 pm

True, it seems it may have been "covertly" done... (at least the rider wasn't busted) ... the journal date is 2015

I'm wondering if I can sneak my Rotovelo through there in 2018?
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:00 pm

Im going to at least try. I've got family in Victor and ride from Adelaide to Victor quite often. I've made a Strava route below, which I want to ride this year.

https://www.strava.com/routes/12126392

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:22 pm

recumbenteer wrote:

True, it seems it may have been "covertly" done... (at least the rider wasn't busted) ... the journal date is 2015

I'm wondering if I can sneak my Rotovelo through there in 2018?
This bloke mentioned that the fence had been partially removed. You would be in for a lot of backtracking if you rode there and then discovered that the fence was reinstated. Not so bad if you're local I suppose but not something I'd want to do on tour.

I can't see what the risk is. It would surely be a huge tourism asset if visitors could cross the barrages.

Some of the way may be across private property though.

MundooIsland

Postby MundooIsland » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:53 pm

Further to the posts regarding crossing the barrages, we own Mundoo Island and Ewe Island. This is PRIVATE PROPERTY and you are NOT PERMITTED to cross through our property or the barrages. We have Private Property signage up and cameras on our land. You are trespassing if you access our land and that is ILLEGAL.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:21 pm

Thank you for providing this information @MundooIsland.

Would you be open to dialogue with interested people and bicycling groups? For example, guided through-fare on a single day in the year which would allow access to be controlled/managed while allowing interested people from the public an opportunity to share the beauty.

As a small suggestion, this message you have shared comes across as very direct, for example it challenges me personally, although I have never had the pleasure of visiting your part of world. My experience is that a solution orientated approach can be be highly effective.

Signage example,
"Unfortunately access to the barrages and Mundoo and Ewe Island is not permitted as it is private property and the danger. The perimeters are secured so through-fare is not possible.

Due to public interest, supervised access and through-fare is usually granted on one-day each year with strictly limited numbers and mandatory pre-registration. The proceeds from the entry fee will be donated to the Australian Wildlife Conservancy. [contact email]"

The effect is that there is a contact and individuals or groups who may consider ignoring blunt signage are presented with a viable option. This engagement would certainly be applauded by the community as well.

Kind regards
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA