Is Adelaide STILL kidding itself?

ColinOldnCranky

Is Adelaide STILL kidding itself?

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:05 pm

For years Adelaide some have touted the line that "Adelaide is the cyling capital of Australia", seemingly solely on the basis of the Tour Down Under and the presence of Lance Armstrong. The particularly annoying thing was that so many on the Adelaide Cyclists forum accepted this, somethignthat feeds into the lack of lobbying to do something about what is, in fact, a terrible set of roads to commute and get around the 'burbs.

Well, there is at least one dill who hasn't got the memo.
#AdlSucksForCycling … such a gloomy and disparaging hashtag isn’t it. Upon seeing this mysterious moniker regularly appear on numerous Instagram images over the past few months, we thought it high time find out exactly what was going on.

Touted as, and long acknowledged as Australia’s number one city for cycling, could the users of this hashtag be serious? Were they having us on, putting us off the scent, taking the proverbial piss?
http://www.clareclassic.com.au/adelaide ... instagram/
Touted yes, by the Premier at the time and those who had never ridden elsewhere. But "acknowledged?" Who by?

As Adelaide would be, outside my own city, my main city to ride I just hope that this sort of tripe does not moderate any lobbying for SA to do better.

The GOOD news is that there is plenty of attention in the media decryign the drop in participation, the lousy infrastructure, the problems etc. Which hopefully is what cyclists will react to.

For commuting and getting around the city and outside of your immediate suburb the truth is simple. #AdlSucksForCycling. Drop the undeserved praise and do somethign about it.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Biffidus

Re: Is Adelaide STILL kidding itself?

Postby Biffidus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Can't agree more. It kills me that Prospect Rd, which has reduced speed limits and hosts an annual tour downunder street party is such a dangerous road for bikes while the next road over has full-time bike lanes and is much safer despite being a busy truck route.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:16 pm

I've only ridden around Adelaide once for TDU. Given what I thought we were contributing to the town, I was surprised by the hostility of the drivers towards us.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:13 pm

Biffidus wrote:Can't agree more. It kills me that Prospect Rd, which has reduced speed limits and hosts an annual tour downunder street party is such a dangerous road for bikes while the next road over has full-time bike lanes and is much safer despite being a busy truck route.
I have lived south and east and yeap the main roads are just pathetic for cyclist. Lanes just ending when you most need them (this phenomenon occurs on every main road south and east (not sure about the other directions)
Comedian wrote:I've only ridden around Adelaide once for TDU. Given what I thought we were contributing to the town, I was surprised by the hostility of the drivers towards us.
I am not sure if its the extra cyclist eroding drivers patience further or the news dribble pulling people into cars vs cyclist mentality, but it certainly does seem to be worse during the TDU time period.

Probably the only worse time to be on the road in the city is a month or 2 later when the clipsal 500 is in the city. I was riding home from work on one of those days, I had a woman (and presumably her 2 children with her) give me the finger with a few colorful words, they where standing on the footpath :?

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Maybe I'm just lucky. At least on the plains on the south side of the city, and at least for commuter cycling, I think Adelaide is fairly good. There's lots that could be improved, of course, but there's a pretty good network of bike routes.

In 4 years of daily commuting (and many more than that occasionally commuting by bicycle) I've never once been abused by a driver, and only once (very mildly) by a pedestrian.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:16 pm

Just looking at the topic, what can I say except, absolutely (see avatar) :D

Sorry, just couldn't resist, resume normal transmission now.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Trev Campbell

Postby Trev Campbell » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:05 am

eeksll wrote:
Biffidus wrote:
I am not sure if its the extra cyclist eroding drivers patience further or the news dribble pulling people into cars vs cyclist mentality, but it certainly does seem to be worse during the TDU time period.

Probably the only worse time to be on the road in the city is a month or 2 later when the clipsal 500 is in the city. I was riding home from work on one of those days, I had a woman (and presumably her 2 children with her) give me the finger with a few colorful words, they where standing on the footpath :?
I'd have to agree, I commute all year. I only cop abuse about 3-4 times, 2-3 of those abuses occur during the TDU. Got my first one on Monday, when I was abused 'Ride in the bike lane d__khead' while on a section of an Adelaide road where the bike lane I was on just disappeared !!!!

I find it disappointing that we seem to continually send TDU riders and spectators up and down Gorge Rd. The bottom half of that road is in such poor repair its not funny.
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:53 pm

I guess it depends where you ride. I rode to/from uni for years with very few problems but I have regular issues on my current commute through certain northern suburbs... and it is always at chokepoints caused by poor infrastructure/planning.

nutsack

Postby nutsack » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:27 am

Guess cycling capital depends on your interpretation. I hardly ride in the city, don't commute, but my regular riding is recreational including the usual outer harbour loop and long hills rides with some mountain biking.

For this reason I think Adelaide is the cycling capital - no where else on the mainland do we have such easy access to mountain bike tracks and hills riding. 15min to the hills, 20min to the esplanade, 15min drive to Mountain bike tracks.

Adelaide hills drivers are very tolerant to to cyclists in my experience. City not so much and I doubt cyclists sharing roads with cars will ever be accepted anywhere as white commodore bogan* treatment of cyclists will always exist.

*my anecdotal and personal expierence is that most abuse towards cyslists comes from white commodore drivers.
Main ride: BMC SLX01 Race Master 2010 SRAM Red

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:58 pm

For this reason I think Adelaide is the cycling capital - no where else on the mainland do we have such easy access to mountain bike tracks and hills riding. 15min to the hills, 20min to the esplanade, 15min drive to Mountain bike tracks.
Canberra?

I've enjoyed riding around Adelaide in my visits there usually at TdU time particularly in the hills or down to the southern beaches. No aggravation or abuse but not being a resident nor a commuter I can't comment on the intolerance that many experience from motorists.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:12 pm

Uncle Just wrote:
Canberra?

I've enjoyed riding around Adelaide in my visits there usually at TdU time particularly in the hills or down to the southern beaches. No aggravation or abuse but not being a resident nor a commuter I can't comment on the intolerance that many experience from motorists.
Bright ??

Lots of BIG hills, impressive Rail Trail that goes forever, and lots of MTB tracks
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Ruffred

Postby Ruffred » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Geez some of you are harsh , do not come to Sydney to cycle if you think Adelaide is bad !
Any way I’m gonna be in Adelaide for a month In November , leaving the road bike at home , bringing the hybrids for some cruising , we are looking forward to exploring the bicycle network around town . We’re staying in Parkside so any ideas or hints or advice would be good , I’m familiar with the route / path from Unley to Glenelg , and the Torrens river path Henley (?) to city and beyond and have also ridden on the Barossa one Tanunda or Nuriootpa to Lyndoch

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:21 am

Ruffred wrote:Geez some of you are harsh , do not come to Sydney to cycle if you think Adelaide is bad !
Any way I’m gonna be in Adelaide for a month In November , leaving the road bike at home , bringing the hybrids for some cruising , we are looking forward to exploring the bicycle network around town . We’re staying in Parkside so any ideas or hints or advice would be good , I’m familiar with the route / path from Unley to Glenelg , and the Torrens river path Henley (?) to city and beyond and have also ridden on the Barossa one Tanunda or Nuriootpa to Lyndoch
First a tip: this sub-board is very quiet. You might get more replies in the "General Discussion" thread, or asking on "that" social network.

Anyway, there's a nice dedicated bike path following both the SE Freeway (up to the hills) and the Southern Expressway (down south). (I think they've also added them to follow new express way(s) up north, but I'm not familiar with them). With both of them, the trick is getting to the bike path in the first place, though! I can give ideas of how to get to either if you want. There's also a commuter route heading south more or less through Parkside; and with a bit of back road riding you can join up to a path that takes you up the hill to Belair.

malnar

Postby malnar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:07 pm

Visiting from Melbourne. Not riding. Have driven Anzac Hwy, Cross Rd, Diagonal Rd. Glad to be not riding those roads. The part time bike paths look pretty narrow, bumpy and have a steep camber in parts. Lot of tree litter about too, though it has been windy.

Was wondering what generally goes on outside of the designated bike lane times. I assume cars park in them, therefore cyclists spend a large proportion of the time in the left lane. Do motorists generally accept the need & right of cyclists to be in the left lane?

I'd imagine if there's a section of say 100m or more of bike lane between parked cars, the motorists would be expecting you to get in the bike lane as soon as you pass a parked car.

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:30 pm

Arrive in a few days in Adelaide for 8th January in a row. Have found the riding in the main to be outstanding, both roads & bike paths. Ride from Glenelg up & down coast, into & past cdb but jaunts to the hills. Never had issues with drivers (that I can recall) but can appreciate the city is likely emptier than other times of year. Biggest issue faced is deep dish heroes riding the bike paths & yelling at children to get out of their way ...

I'm from Melbourne & commute couple times a week from SW suburbs into cbd, plus road & bike path riding.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Have a great time Marty. Love this time of year (except the damn heat !!)

Weather is great at the moment, but getting toasty on Fri !!

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:43 am

malnar wrote:Visiting from Melbourne. Not riding. Have driven Anzac Hwy, Cross Rd, Diagonal Rd. Glad to be not riding those roads. The part time bike paths look pretty narrow, bumpy and have a steep camber in parts. Lot of tree litter about too, though it has been windy.

Was wondering what generally goes on outside of the designated bike lane times. I assume cars park in them, therefore cyclists spend a large proportion of the time in the left lane. Do motorists generally accept the need & right of cyclists to be in the left lane.
I hope it is ok to reply one month later; I have only just seen this!

What happens is there are parked cars and it is pretty dangerous (except at quiet times). But as you point out, those bike lanes are pretty dangerous too, especially on Anzac Highway.

But if Adelaide's major road bike lanes are rubbish, the good news is that Adelaide is very flat, so there are many good bicycle routes on minor roads, parallel to these main roads. For instance, there is the Mike Turtur bikeway, more or less parallel to Anzac Highway and only a couple of blocks away. In my opinion that is a far preferable option when the roads are busy (and for less confident cyclists, preferable at all times).

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:05 pm

I'm a bit off topic Colin But I totaly agree, and the place has changed; also I used to go to Hahndorf and have a German breakfast. Six different sausages etc. Couldn't eat it.

Now the joint is full of tee shirts.

But yes cycling in th4e Adelaide Hill brings news of constant aggression to bicycles. then the profess to cheer for that bike race.

But i got my own back...I drove through there on a Saturday morning in the Toyota with the caravan on....Never again but it was a great exercise.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:28 am

Adelaide has a reasonable network of bike lanes and shared paths. However the bike lanes are littered with constant hazards - mostly inspection drain covers sunk below the road surface but also various other sources of roughness such as broken up and disturbed bitumen. They are in poor condition.

The Adelaide hills are awesome to ride through though - they get a big tick, although this has nothing to do with bike infrastructure.

Drivers are mostly good, about the same as I've experienced elsewhere in Australia. There is a minority of feral drivers though. Without judging too much, my observation is that these feral drivers seem to match a small minority of ferals you encounter generally in Adelaide - there seems to be a bit of poverty and underclass. I don't mean to judge, but my experience is that these people seem to often have a low tolerance for cyclists.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:30 pm

jules21 wrote:Adelaide has a reasonable network of bike lanes and shared paths. However the bike lanes are littered with constant hazards - mostly inspection drain covers sunk below the road surface but also various other sources of roughness such as broken up and disturbed bitumen. They are in poor condition.

The Adelaide hills are awesome to ride through though - they get a big tick, although this has nothing to do with bike infrastructure.

Drivers are mostly good, about the same as I've experienced elsewhere in Australia. There is a minority of feral drivers though. Without judging too much, my observation is that these feral drivers seem to match a small minority of ferals you encounter generally in Adelaide - there seems to be a bit of poverty and underclass. I don't mean to judge, but my experience is that these people seem to often have a low tolerance for cyclists.
Nailed it.