Commuter warnings

Ross

Re: Commuter warnings

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:32 pm

Almost ran over a phone zombie ped this evening on the new gravel ramp leading out of Gungahlin Lakes Club carpark.

He was so absorbed with his phone he kept moving into my path and only looked up with a couple of seconds to spare before we were going to collide (I couldn't move any further to the left).

Unfortunately my headlight was aimed straight at his face from a distance of only a couple of metres, hope I didn't blind him and he could continue to check the important messages on his phone... :roll:

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:09 pm

corner of Yamba Drive and Launceston Street - at the lights outside Phillip College.

The main commuter route - down Adelaide Ave, onto the path at the rdbt of death, and chucking a right at the Launceston street lights has a massive pothole that I found the other night in the dark. :shock:

The gubmint or someone has done roadworks at the slip lane travelling north from Yamba Drive left onto Launceston. Friday night I was travelling south and turning right, and found it in the dark and dropped a foot. actually surprised myself I didn't faceplant up the other side. its virtually invisible in the sand covered gravel. It was still lethal last night, and judging by the comment of a fellow rider at the lights, he'd found it on Friday night too.

be careful out there.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:10 pm

ps - off to log a job with fix my street

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Have you maybe got a can of spray paint you could mark it with until the hole is fixed (could be some time the way the govt "works"...)? Or find an orange roadwork cone and place it near the hole - plenty of roadwork cones out at Gungalin at the moment!

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:13 pm

I have an email from fix my street saying it's fixed.

i'll go that way tonight and check it is. someone could've easily broken their neck - or at least their face if they fell into it.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:21 am

With the recent dry weather watch out for wildlife on the paths. I encountered a couple of wallabies near Lake Gininderra last night sitting right in the middle of an unlit path. Luckily, I avoided them but the outcome could have been very different.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:55 pm

Car debris and a dead marsupial in the Fed Hwy bike lane just before the green sign 2km from Sutton Rd ramp as you head toward Lake George from Canberra

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:47 am

The Cotter road underpass is currently closed. Be very careful in this area. The signage is very confusing and traffic control instructions even more confusing.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:59 pm

The Cotter Road arrangements at Curtin have changed again. Not sure if it is just for the non road working times but you now revert to going under the bridge with the temporary bridge on the Southern side of Cotter Road now being used. Be wary - particularly if North bound - as the signage hasn't changed.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Broken down car (black Magna) in bike lane of Majura Parkway southbound, up the Federal Hwy end, just after the 100km/h sign

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:05 pm

Black Magna is gone, now replaced by a white car of some description (like a minivan Tarago type thing I think) but further down the Majura Parkway near the roadworks for new access road to Ikea.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of presumably broken down cars (or maybe run out of fuel) on the side of major roads in Canberra. I've owned and driven cars ranging in value from $50 to $50,000 and none of them have ever broken down or run out of fuel. Ever.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:09 am

Changes again at the cotter road underpass. Two lots of "traffic calming" structures have been placed at each end of the underpass. They have been placed in a way that makes them dangerous if you aren't expecting to stop. They are also designed for one bike at a time so be prepared to give way if another cyclist is approaching from the opposite direction. There is no signage indicating the change.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Broken down (?) Mercedes on the bike path at the roundabout on Fedral Hwy Watson near the BP servo (heading north toward Sydney)

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:32 am

Several cars (and a motorbike) broken down/abandoned in bike lane of Majura Parkway (both directions)

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:54 am

There was about a 15cm of water over the path under the McCullouch Street underpass near Curtin ovals when I went through at about 8pm last night.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:18 pm

Ross wrote:Several cars (and a motorbike) broken down/abandoned in bike lane of Majura Parkway (both directions)
Motorbike gone now but still two cars northbound on Majura Parkway - one is a couple of kms or so from Fyshwick end and other is actually on the Tambreet St off ramp. Southbound side looks clear now.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Fair bit of crushed rock and other tyre destroying rubbish in the GDE bike lane just North of Belconnen Way on ramp (adjacent to Calvary hospital).

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:34 pm

NO broken down/abandoned cars to report on Fed Hwy or Majura Pkwy at the moment! :twisted:
Left-hand southbound lane of Majura Pkwy near back of Ikea was closed most of today while workers were painting lines on the road and installing new road sign. May still be doing it tomorrow. Bike lane there has been closed for a couple of months or so while they have been building a new exit road to Ikea, should be finished very soon and bike lane reopened.
Ongoing roadwork near the Queanbeyan end of Sutton Rd (upgrading drainage), looks like it will be going on for a few more weeks yet

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:56 pm

There is a tree across the bike path that joins King Street Deakin and Adelaide Avenue. It must have come down in Fridays storms.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:26 pm

There is a broken down/dumped car northbound on the GDE just past Glenloch.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:09 pm

Dead marsupial in bike lane of Majura Parway (southbound Gungahlin end) just as it flattens out near where the 100km/h speed limit starts.

Another dead marsupial in the northbound lane of Majura Parkway up under the Federal Highway overpass. Further down the hill on Horse Park Drive heading toward Gungahlin there is a dead joey but most of it is off the bike lane and in the grass, just a bit sad. :cry:

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:21 pm

Marsupials seemed to have been cleaned up now. Pity the govt workers weren't as fast or as diligent at clearing other debris like smashed glass, lumps of wood and various broken car components or fixing potholes.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:18 pm

There is a new set of banana rails being installed just near the National Rock Garden car park. Not sure why. I thought the banana rails were progressively being removed. And they are very unnecessary at this point.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:11 am

From the Pedal Power facebook page:

"Cotter Road underpass works Friday 23rd
The contractors informed us today that they will be pouring concrete on the shared path at Yarralumla Creek from 6 am to 4 pm tomorrow Friday. You will have to dismount and use the side path to walk around the work area during the works. A full time traffic controller will assist."

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:13 am

There is a broken down/dumped car westbound on Gininderra Drive between Braybrooke and Hayden. Its right across the bike lane.