Commuter warnings

Ross

Re: Commuter warnings

Postby Ross » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:15 pm

Asphalt patching tomorrow 20/3/18 Belconnen Way/Barry Drive, O’Connor. East bound from the Gungahlin Drive Extension to Dryandra Street - in the cycle lane and parts of the bus lane. Daily updates on ACT road resurfacing program at broken link removed
This is long overdue, the bike lane in this area is very bad (rough, potholed) and I recall a female e-bike commuter crashed there a year or two ago and was seriously injured.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:27 pm

The on road cycle lane Westbound on Ginninderra Drive is closed at UC (Allawoonah Drive). There is only one sign across the lane notifying this.

It may be closed for a while as there seems to be a new batch of concrete barriers that have been placed in the lane further down adjacent to the new hospital.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:27 am

Noviss wrote:The on road cycle lane Westbound on Ginninderra Drive is closed at UC (Allawoonah Drive). There is only one sign across the lane notifying this.

It may be closed for a while as there seems to be a new batch of concrete barriers that have been placed in the lane further down adjacent to the new hospital.
Closed lane scheduled to be closed until the end of May. It may open earlier if works completed sooner than anticipated.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Tue May 01, 2018 7:38 pm

There is a broken down/dumped car northbound on Caswell Drive right at the start of the slip lane for the Belconnen Way exit.

Also, watch out for the gravel detour on the path between Curtin and Phillip just near the Yarra Glen roundabout. There isn't much warning of the detour and the gravel is fairly loose.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue May 01, 2018 9:44 pm

I see there is no longer an on-road cycling lane on Northbourne Ave/Fed Hwy (northbound) near the Lyneham netball courts. This looks to be a permanent "feature" thanks to the light rail. There is a sign instructing cyclists of this and directing them onto the shared path ajacent. This will end in tears for all parties when a netball game or other sporting event is happening at the nearby oval and peds (inc small children) wander all over it and also cars crossing it going in and out of carpark.

Also, further up the road (NB Ave/FH) at Exhibition Park at the left turn into Flemington Rd the on-road bike lane suddenly takes a left turn and there is now a concrete curb where the bike lane used to continue straight. I presume the left turn of the bike lane is so bikes can cross the rail lines at ~90 degrees rather than ~45 degrees and risk crashing but if you are head down and bum up while riding you could miss seeing the turn and smash straight into the new curb with potentially dire consequences.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Ginninderra Drive Westbound on road cycle lane adjacent to the new UC hospital is open again. Still a bit of rubble on the road (no more than any other on road cycle lane in the ACT at the moment though) at the Aikman Drive end.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:09 pm

There is a car on it's side northbound on Fed Hwy about 2km from Sutton turn-off. It doesn't appear to be blocking bike lane but it could possibly topple over and crush passing cyclist if it was windy. Not sure how it came to be like that, possibly swerved to miss a kangaroo and lost control and rolled?

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:18 pm

Car seems to have been removed now.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:13 pm

The path that goes under the western side of the bridge over lake Ginninderra has a number of fenced off sections. There are no warnings or signs on the Southern approaches other than on the plastic mesh. There are about three fenced off areas. Very clever of ACT Gov or their contractors particularly at night!

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Noviss wrote:The path that goes under the western side of the bridge over lake Ginninderra has a number of fenced off sections. There are no warnings or signs on the Southern approaches other than on the plastic mesh. There are about three fenced off areas. Very clever of ACT Gov or their contractors particularly at night!
And now the main path to Gungahlin is cordoned off for works where the lake path meets the Gungahlin path. Once again, no warning signs on the approach only on the plastic mesh.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:28 pm

That whole path from Ginninderra Dr through to Barton Hwy needs ripping up and re-doing to get rid of the tree root speed humps.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:05 am

^There are now several other areas where this path (heading toward Barton Hwy) is cordoned off with orange safety webbing, one just as you come around a corner, luckily there is a roadworks sign just before the corner so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:27 pm

Shared path cnr Mouat St/Archibald St Lyneham blocked by orange safety webbing

Also, centenery trail concete path near Forde blocked - again by orange safety webbing - near the dog park, before you get to Forde shops

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:31 pm

All the recent pathworks I mentioned above seem to now have been fixed.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:45 pm

It seems I spoke (typed) too early. There are several different sections of the Ginninderra Dr to Barton Hwy path that have been ripped up and new bitumen has been re-laid and they are still fenced off with orange webbing. I expect the webbing will be gone by early next week and the path will be back to (better than) normal.

Now the path is smoothed out I better make it a Strava segment and try for a KOM! :twisted:

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Ross wrote:It seems I spoke (typed) too early. There are several different sections of the Ginninderra Dr to Barton Hwy path that have been ripped up and new bitumen has been re-laid and they are still fenced off with orange webbing. I expect the webbing will be gone by early next week and the path will be back to (better than) normal.

Now the path is smoothed out I better make it a Strava segment and try for a KOM! :twisted:
Careful what you wish for. The new tar/bitumen on the sections of repaired path I rode over tonight are already starting to lift and tear up. Not sure its safe to be trying to set strava KOM's. I think ACT gov must have used the same contractors to fix the path as the ones that thought it was a good idea to put speed humps/trip hazards on the shared paths of the Northern side of the Ginninderra Drive bridge.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:14 pm

^There is still one section of the shared path is still fenced offf with orange webbing. Path appears to have been resealed, just looks like they haven't been back to finish the job and take down the webbing.

Further along Ginninderra Dr opposite William Webb Dr there is some temporary fencing gone up, looks like they are going to close off the path that goes around to the right adjacent to the lake.

Also, there is a dead wombat in the cycle lane of Majura Parkway (southbound), just after the second exit to Majura Rd

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:52 am

There were some fairly confused kangaroos on the path adjacent to William Hovell drive at the bottom of Aranda this morning. I would have been taken out had I not stopped.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:10 am

Someone has dropped pop rivets at the pedestrian crossing at the Eastern corner of Ginninderra and Aikman Drive. This seems to be a deliberate drop - its the third time its happened at the same spot.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:13 pm

The North bound on road cycle lane on Gungahlin Drive between Belconnen Way and Ginninderra Drive has finally been swept. The gravel that made it like riding on marbles has been removed together with all the other rubble that had built up,

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:17 pm

There's an abandoned silver BMW sedan partially blocking the cycle lane on Majura Parkway southbound just before Meddhung Rd turn off (back entrance to Ikea). Been there for about two weeks, Surprisingly it is still in one piece except number plates are gone

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:53 am

Sections of the main Woden path have been ripped up for repair between Cotter Road and Theodore.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:44 am

Ass saver found in Mckellar. PM me if you lost one and think it might be yours.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:26 am

The Southbound exit of the onroad cycle lane (to the footpath) on Aikman Drive, Belconnen is closed. This is adjacent to the bus layover so you find the cycle lane ends and you are playing in traffic with stationary buses. Not ideal.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:33 pm

There is a roped off section of the path on the Eastern end of the bridge over Scrivener Dam - between the bridge and the Lady Denman Drive underpass. There is next to no signage or warning. Particularly if you are coming from the underpass end. And there is no formed detour - you are on the grass.