Murrumbateman

LuckyPierre

Murrumbateman

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:11 pm

I rode to Murrumbateman and back this morning. It's a good ride - pretty flat and bike lanes all the way!
As this weekend is the transition fromthe ACT Vets summer to winter programs, there wasn't an event today. A group set off to do a loop out to Gundaroo and return, but it would have been to far for me. So, I tagged along with them for the first 20 km, then continued out to Murrumbateman on my own. It's a nice ride - it certainly looks steeper on bikely than it felt. My speedo made it 80.2 km and I averaged just under 28 km/hr. I rode a part of the way (Murrumbateman back to Hall) quite a bit slower to accompany another solo rider and coincidence meant I met a part of the group back on Northbourne Ave - so I didn't miss coffee with them after all!

TriggerFish

Postby TriggerFish » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:16 pm

*stands in awe*

That is a fair ride in my books. I am happy with a 40km round trip for a commute to and from work! When you say bike lane all the way. Do you mean breakdown lane or actual cycle lane? Also, how do you cope with cars zooming by at 100+? That would freak me a little I have to say.

One final thing, what is ACT Vets? Are they cyclists who heal sick animals? :wink:

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:40 am

TriggerFish wrote:*stands in awe*

Don't - the rest of the guys rode out through Nanima and back via Gundaroo, Shingle Hill and the Federal Highway (some did 110km, others 140-ish).
TriggerFish wrote:When you say bike lane all the way. Do you mean breakdown lane or actual cycle lane?

It's not always marked with the 'bike' symbol, but it isn't a breakdown lane. It's better on the dual carriage-way in the ACT, but there's a decent lane left outside the road lane marking at least as far as Murrumbateman. There's a couple of bridges where it disappears, but only for 100 - 150 metres at a time. The Federal Highway has bike markings in the breakdown lane, so it's wider (and smoother).
TriggerFish wrote:Also, how do you cope with cars zooming by at 100+?

The double-bogie trucks and buses are a bit of a thrill, but cars are generally OK. For a part of the way back I rode 'shotgun' on another rider who wasn't very steady, which meant I rode the actual road marking line. I'm glad that it was Sunday morning, but nearly all the drivers used a bit of timing and made sure that they weren't passing me when an on-coming car was passing them.
TriggerFish wrote:One final thing, what is ACT Vets? Are they cyclists who heal sick animals? :wink:

ACT Vets = ACT Veterans Cycling Club = 'the old farts'. Here's a link to our website

531db

Postby 531db » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:24 pm

luckypierre wrote:

"ACT Vets = ACT Veterans Cycling Club = 'the old farts'. Here's a link to our website"

Hey!, some of us are not so old farts....... :shock:

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:50 pm

531db wrote:Hey!, some of us are not so old farts....... :shock:

You like steel. You're an old fart by definition :wink:

Richard