Hillclimbs in Canberra

Hillclimbs in Canberra

Postby NikonUser » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi there,

I am very new to the Canberra area and looking at getting back into road cycling after a 10 year break.

Back in the day I was quite a mountain goat. Used to love cycling up the Gillies Range between Cairns and the Atherton Tablelands which was a 20km climb (not ultra-steep mind you). Wondering if there is anything similar of 10+kms in the Canberra Area? Black Mtn and Mt Ainslie look good.. and certainly above my current level of fittness... but looking to the future, are there any longer climbs?

Paul
Just started cycling after a 10 year (and 25kg :( ) break.
NikonUser

by BNA » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:32 pm

BNA

Re: Hillclimbs in Canberra

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:32 pm

Have a look at the roads out past the Cotter (Cotter road) and head towards Tidbinbilla (the road loops around from Weston Creek, through the Cotter, Tidbinbilla and back to the bottom end of Tuggeranong. Off that road there is a spike or two, one going up to Corin Dam, the other at Tharwa (IIRC) will take you up Fitz's hill. North of the Cotter there is a road from there over Mt McDonald (IIRC) which connects to Uriarra Rd, which then goes up into the Brindabella ranges some way before eventually becoming a dirt road (where roadies turn around). You can then go back via Uriarra Crossing and back to Stromolo/Weston Creek via Uriarra Rd. All pretty hilly terrain and where they run the Canberra Tour amonst other raod races.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Return to ACT