Bike recycle joint in ACT?

Bike recycle joint in ACT?

Postby Jean » Fri May 22, 2009 11:57 am

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is some sort of bike recycle joint in Canberra? I've been to the recycle joint at Mitchell a few times (but not the one on Mugga Way or whatever it is - out on the south side), but the stuff there was junk.

I'm looking for an old MTB, probably with a fixed fork, that would have been a decent bike in its day but is well out of date now (something like an old Giant or Avanti) and thus hopefully fairly cheap. I need a hack to ride around with my kids on (and tow trailers and tag-a-longs etc), and thought something like that would do the trick nicely. So I'm wondering if there is a place somewhere around town that does bike recycling.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Jean

by BNA » Fri May 22, 2009 8:26 pm

BNA

Re: Bike recycle joint in ACT?

Postby psike » Fri May 22, 2009 8:26 pm

Haven't been but http://www.recyclery.com.au/ may have something, also you could check http://www.allclassifieds.com.au/ac/ac0001?catid=68

Russ.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco
psike

Postby Jean » Mon May 25, 2009 9:45 am

Thanks for the recyclery link, but I figured a long trawl through allclassifieds was going to be my best bet.

Cheers
Jean

Postby mrgolf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:13 pm

Recyclery is cool. A friend works there. They have a bunch of stuff. I went looking for some cogs for the single...

Otherwise, check out one of the revolve/ aussie junk places. I know some guys who have picked up some serious stuff there.
mrgolf

Postby fraz » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:49 pm

Is it just me or is there no address on that recyclery link? The only thing they said about their location was that they're present at O week. O week's kind of a long way away!
fraz

Postby mrgolf » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:32 pm

Recyclery is just near the Nat Museum on the edge of the Uni grounds. All those old buildings on the corner of the roundabout which have environmental type stuff and a child care centre is the spot. It is in a transportable. But they have strange hours. I think they are home and hosed by 4pm and not open on weekends.
mrgolf

Postby DavidH » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:15 pm

Was out riding this afternoon (miserable...wet and cold) near the lake and decided to see if I could spot the Recyclery. As mrgolf pointed out, it's on the right just before the roundabout in front of the National Museum (if you are heading towards the museum). There was a skip bin out front that was full of old wheels and a couple of frames. Not sure whether these are the rejects or stuff that people have dropped off. Will have to return some time it's open and have a look around.
DavidH

Return to ACT