Magpie Watch 2009

jaydee

Re: Magpie Watch 2009

Postby jaydee » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:42 pm

Fun Youtube clip on Canberra magpies made by a couple of cyclists with too much time on their hands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHreVKgOT4

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:57 pm

jaydee wrote:Fun Youtube clip on Canberra magpies made by a couple of cyclists with too much time on their hands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHreVKgOT4
Amusing, but a terrible study. Different helmets, different paths, different speeds, different people. How many non helmet adornment variables do we want to include in this study?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:05 pm

Bad day for me - two maggies.

Got hit in the head on the Barton highway heading back towards Canberra between Victoria street and Wallaroo road - came close to getting me on when heading towards the border, then smacked me in the side of the head coming back. No noises, just an impact. Never saw the little ba$tard when I rode that way on Monday/Tuesday, but on those days the light wasn't as good.

Also had a maggie come close on Ginninderra between Braybrooke (AIS) and Haydon drive, but he suddenly veered away when he was a few metres away from my head and flew over the other side of the road.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:26 pm

The magpie activity this year seems to have increased over last year.

I recently got swooped outside wok-it-up in Gungahlin. Was just riding past the low trees there, when a fluttering of feathers descended upon me. I did the arm up trick, and the magpie seemed to move away. There is no where safe!

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:45 pm

My overall verdict for the year is a slow down on last year. I rode from Stromlo, through Cotter, Tidbinbilla, Tharwa, Fitz's Hill, Rendevous Ck and only 1 magpie (at the top of Fitz's).

This time last year, similar routes, got hit by about 5.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:30 pm

thomas_cho wrote:The magpie activity this year seems to have increased over last year.

I recently got swooped outside wok-it-up in Gungahlin. Was just riding past the low trees there, when a fluttering of feathers descended upon me. I did the arm up trick, and the magpie seemed to move away. There is no where safe!
Lol - that one has always been a complete ba$tard, he'll even go for you up the main drag if you try and go around his territory. Just after I went cable ties I was riding along and couldn't work out why my ear felt like something was hitting it, and then realised the little sod was flying alongside my head!
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:38 pm

Right, so the problem this year is me!! I just go to all the right places to get swooped!

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:26 am

I've ridden a lot this year during the swooping season and overall think it has been quite good. A few persistent birds on my normal route so i have made some little detours to avoid them but otherwise cycling as normal. I didn't bother with zip ties either this year.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:42 pm

Any birds still flapping? Haven't been hit for a few weeks now (touch wood). Haven't gone through Glenloch interchange since early Oct so not sure if that bird is still angry. I did see it annoying some cyclists about 2weeks ago.

ciaran

Postby ciaran » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:30 pm

there is one that has had a go at me consistently along the Valley Avenue in Gungahlin, in the block between the hard turn at the start/end of the Av and before the childcare centre.

Luckily all times he's swooped me the sun has been behind me so I've seen him coming. :)

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:15 pm

Yeap spoke to soon. Riding through Chapman on the way to Stromlo and the bird that got me there in Late Aug had another crack. Wasn't as cranky this time thou and only had 2 attempts. If it was the same bird then talk about long cranky season (Late Aug to Early Nov)

ciaran

Postby ciaran » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:31 pm

ciaran wrote:there is one that has had a go at me consistently along the Valley Avenue in Gungahlin, in the block between the hard turn at the start/end of the Av and before the childcare centre.

Luckily all times he's swooped me the sun has been behind me so I've seen him coming. :)
better add another one to that tally. And he was more aggressive this time, giving me a wing slap and a peck on the helmet.

I rode on the street 200m away, but parallel to the Valley Av, but the two streets were seperated by an empty block. I looked across and spotted him up on his lamp post, but no sooner did I spot him then I saw him set sail towards me.

Can't wait for the swooping season to be over...

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:48 pm

I got attacked on Sunday on the road between the front of Duntroon and the ACT hospice - close to the turn off to the hospice. Two swoops, then gone.

PPFC

Postby PPFC » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Each morning and afternoon there is 1 bugger in the tree right next to R3 in Russell that goes me, even when I am walking the bike.
I have walked from the car park along with heaps of other people and not get swooped. Me thinks he doesn't like the sounds of the bike or the look of the helmet. Although this morning I took the helmet off and put my glasses on top of my head.. no problems.

Lock my bike up, helmet off.. walk to the building, no problems.

I pass at least 30 magpies every morning I have been riding so far and not 1 problem, they look at me and that is it.

Someone needs to tell this bugger at work to get over it! lol.. and I almost hand feed a family of them at my front door. Hopefully that works in my favour next magpie season.

PPFC

Postby PPFC » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:37 pm

And again this morning same little bugger went to have a go.
I left work this afternoon, walked my bike past the tree with helmet off.. no problems..
Porb not a fan of Specialized helmets lol

nescius

Postby nescius » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:52 pm

I haven't been done for a few weeks now, I varied my ride routes to avoid as many of them as possible but there was one that I couldn't easily bypass and he got me every morning for a month :( hopefully I've seen the end of them for this year :D
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:22 pm

There was a Maggie that attacked on the bike path running along Wells Station Rd (and presumably the road too) near Mitchell, haven't seen him for a week or so, must of settled own now.

Did get attacked by one yesterday out on Mulligans Flat Rd out the back of Gungahlin. He hit my helmet with quite a thud, a full body shot! He then swooped again but not as bad and then left me alone. I had ridden there the day before at the same time and he wasn't there.

I find if you try and ignore them and keep moving they will soon get bored and leave you alone. The more you jump around and wave your arms and carry on the more agressive they become.

There is supposed to be a vicious one outside my work, there is even an official warning sign attached to a nearby tree. I ride past twice a day and have never been attacked or even seen this bird but heaps of other co-workers walking from the bus stop all carry large sticks and nervously keep looking up in the sky!

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:10 pm

Got hit today on the Athlon drive bike path heading towards Tugg just before crossing the rd near the Wanniassa roundabout. Big thud on the helmet then he pulled back to his tree. Tis been a long season

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Another newbie today on the LBG bike path. Just path the Carillon about to head onto Kings Ave bridge and I hear the frantic flapping above my head :roll: