Magpie Watch 2009

HAKS

Re: Magpie Watch 2009

Postby HAKS » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Little buggers were on fire today as was the weather. Got hit 100m from home which says its time to start using the alternative route. Then riding around state circle counter clockwise and about to turn in Kings av I hear this sound behind my head. Look back and a little bugger is trying to get me. Worst thing was the road was busy with cars (i'm sure they all had a good laugh). Good thing was the eyes on my helmet seemed to keep him at bay and he never really came inside the 1m mark. I was waiting to cross at the lights there and he was perched atop of a street light keeping an eye on me. I then headed down Kings Av and looked back to see the street light no longer housing a maggie and then suddenly he was above my head again. Persistent little bugger.

Last but not least heading up Stromlo towards the top one had a go at me. He was easy to manage as there was no traffic so I just held a hand up clicking my fingers which keep him at bay.

Wish it was winter again :(
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

matrat

Postby matrat » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:56 pm

Last year our Belconnen workplace named the Glenloch Interchange magpie "Glenloch" (funny enough). Reports from southside riders returning home said that down the steep hill from Aranda to the lake, he/she/it could match your best top speed and torment you from one underpass to the next. Read DavidH's experience with "Glenloch" drawing blood last year and am glad I only travel that way on Sunday rides on a trike with a flag now. Haven't been swooped in a year (touch wood).

Matrat
Catrike Speed 2008

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:08 pm

matrat wrote:Last year our Belconnen workplace named the Glenloch Interchange magpie "Glenloch" (funny enough). Reports from southside riders returning home said that down the steep hill from Aranda to the lake, he/she/it could match your best top speed and torment you from one underpass to the next. Read DavidH's experience with "Glenloch" drawing blood last year and am glad I only travel that way on Sunday rides on a trike with a flag now. Haven't been swooped in a year (touch wood).

Matrat
Catrike Speed 2008
I rode it on Sat heading away from the lake and towards Coppings crossing and no sign of any maggie yet.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:45 am

I had my first encounter this morning (Copland Drive), but the stupid bugger came in from behind between myself and the sun, so I just watched his shadow until it became sharp and then stuck my head up suddenly - scared the crackers out of him.

But I was looking out for one, as just before he started his run a jogger came out of side street holding a stick above her head.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Second 'friend' at the start of the top entrance to Bingley Cres in Fraser. It's a 10% slope, and the little fecker waited until I was on the slope and doing 10kph before he started swooping.

But score another one for cable ties. Never came that close.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:41 pm

Friendly little chap just near the cnr of Sulwood Drive and Streeton Drive.

And another one in the trees just near the stormwater drain bridges near the cnr of Tuggie Parkway and Athllon Drive.

Enjoy! :lol:

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:20 pm

I think the general moral of the story is, they are everywhere so be prepared! :evil:

Been swooped once out of 6 passings on the northern part of Flemington Rd, near the extremely ugly unit block. Don't know why only the once. Maybe he was just flying past and thought he would sort me out. There aren't many trees up here in Gungahlin so Maggie's are at a minimum.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:55 pm

cp123 wrote: And another one in the trees just near the stormwater drain bridges near the cnr of Tuggie Parkway and Athllon Drive.
Yeap that one said hello a few weeks back. Havn't heard squat since but i've been doing my run through there under darkness with lights flashing away on my helmet.

ifixbikes

Postby ifixbikes » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:48 pm

There is a wicked magpie on southerncross drive at the cranleigh school turnoff on the Latham side. This one swoops to kill.
There is also a useful map of swooping magpies on www.i-bike.com.au
Last edited by ifixbikes on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:41 pm

ifixbikes wrote:There is a wicked magpie on southerncross drive at the cranleigh school turnoff on the Latham side. This one swoops to kill.
There is also a useful map of swooping magpies on i-bike.com.au
As in strikes at helmet, or does it go for the eyes?

ifixbikes

Postby ifixbikes » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:42 pm

go's for ears and the back of your neck. It's a real bastard.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:29 pm

ifixbikes wrote:go's for ears and the back of your neck. It's a real bastard.
Have you tried cable ties?

Or a cricket bat? :twisted:

ifixbikes

Postby ifixbikes » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Nah, it's more a warning for others.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:53 pm

Had a Oct bloomer at the top of athlon drive cycle path between Woden & Lake Tugg, right as you pass the highest point. Bugger has hit me in both my rides past there in the past few days. Luckily the claws aren't out and he just smashes into your helmet/back and then heads for the nearest tree.

Bantam Roosta

Re:

Postby Bantam Roosta » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:38 pm

Bantam Roosta wrote:Been swooped once out of 6 passings on the northern part of Flemington Rd, near the extremely ugly unit block. Don't know why only the once. Maybe he was just flying past and thought he would sort me out. There aren't many trees up here in Gungahlin so Maggie's are at a minimum.
Hmm, he's a permanent fixture now. Heading north, on a big sweeping bend, going slightly uphill. He swoops over 10 times every time I go past. Nothing too bad, but he makes contact with the helmet. Not sure where his tree is. It's not the one I thought it was.
Last edited by Bantam Roosta on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidH

Postby DavidH » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:44 pm

Update on the Glenloch Interchange bird that drew blood on the back of my neck last year...

Rode around the lake this morning with a friend and was telling him about the attack as we were approaching Glenloch Interchange. Passed through the tunnels...nothing...started the first climb...nothing. Then I noticed a MTB approaching going the other way. Just as he passed us the magpie swooped out of a tree and whizzed past us. I looked back to see him setting upon the poor MTB rider (which is the same spot and in the same direction I was travelling last year when attacked).

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:02 pm

Haks - do you mean up and over Mt Taylor past the horse paddocks? At the top there? I go there twice a day and haven't ever been magpied (oh and won't that get the magpie gods seeing me this afternoon... :lol: :lol: ).

I got done in a half hearted way at the Fincham Street roundabout one morning recently. Totally unexpected after 8 years. :lol:

jaydee

Postby jaydee » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:33 pm

Oh dear, I was worried about the Glenloch Interchange and was hoping that the little blighter there had moved onto foreign territory. Let's hope it doesn't have an extended nesting season as it seemed to last year.

A couple of half-hearted attempts by magpies on the lake circuit - one chappie just near Yarralumla rowing club and another at the Causeway intersection just near the entrance to the wetlands. At this stage the birds are just swooping and clacking their beaks, not actually making contact. You would think that where there are so many walkers and cyclists, the birds would just give up in exhaustion.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:18 pm

Glenloch Bomber got me last Friday right where the warning signs are. Was heading toward Belco and had a MTB coming towards the Lake. We were about 10m from passing and maggie went straight through the middle of us. I was obviously heading in the nests direction so it followed me. A few waves of the hand were enough to keep it at bay.
cp123 wrote:Haks - do you mean up and over Mt Taylor past the horse paddocks? At the top there? I go there twice a day and haven't ever been magpied (oh and won't that get the magpie gods seeing me this afternoon... :lol: :lol: ).
Yeap thats the spot. I had been having a clean run over there until Monday. Tuesday he got me a beauty. Was riding along thinking now where was that maggie that got me yesterday and smack flew straight into my back. On Monday after i got past him i passed a roadie heading towards woden. Gave him the warning and sure enough turned around to see the maggie having a go at him.

There is a beauty at Lake Tugg as well right in the park near Club Lime. The nest is in tree directly over the bike path. If you heading from Tugg town centre towards the skate park he doesn't bother but going the other way its an all our attack from behind and he stuck with me for a good 150-200m last Friday.

The only place i've ever been hit while riding around Lake BG was heading away from the Aquarium on the northern side just after you've gone up that little hill and there is a bench looking over to the old brickworks & gov house. Just on that corner after the chair got hit last year. Noticed the warning signs in Yarralumla recently but haven't seen anysign of ol maggie yet.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:54 pm

It seems every second time I go near Lonsdale St Cyclery I get swooped by the Magpie which nests in a tree a few doors up. Weird, never seen a magpie swooping in such a built up area with so much traffic about. It tends to leave pedestrians alone and just go for cyclists. :?:

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:00 pm

"I fought the Maggie.......and the Maggie won"

Decided the Glenloch bomber wasn't enough to stop me riding through his territory today so i gave it a shot. Boy did he show me. Not even 2m out of the 3rd tunnel heading away from the lake and bang straight into my helmet. He then pestered me for a good 200m. Arms waving didn't stop this persistent bird. Finally a squirt of my water bottle as he made an approach was enough for him to call it a day. I would hate to see how he goes in peak hour. He must scope out the riders coming through the tunnels as he timed his attack perfectly to when I popped out.

Later in my ride was heading up Stromlo and i was the target again. This time i had the last laugh as the wind was so strong that every time he opened his wings to slow down he got blown off course. Was quite funny watching my shadow in front of me and see him try repeated time to hit me but every time got blown away :lol:.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:31 am

Fanging down the Federal Highway southbound on Saturday morning on the way home (on the long hill down to the first roundabout) and there was a swooosh and a clack clack clack that missed us completely as we were going about 50 kms. :lol: :lol:

psike

Postby psike » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:16 pm

Naninma Rd - at several points this weekends some of the local maggies took interest in us (group on tandems). One direct hit to the helmet, but several swoops at various points of the ride.

Russ.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:50 pm

I was attacked by a Magpie Lark (Pee Wee) on Currong St Reid, right next to Gorman House yesterday afternoon. They are noisy, super-aggressive little bastards. They have been known to go for the eyes too. :shock:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:02 pm

Hmmm - I saw one yesterday in Belconnen opposite the fire station going for an old guy in a hat. Must be something in the water, because I'd never heard of them going for people before.

Only one maggie on my regular rides now, on Owen Dixon drive between Badenoch and Copland. Never has a go when you are heading downhill, but always comes past once with a beak clack when heading up the hill.