Circumnavigate Lake BG

Circumnavigate Lake BG

Postby DaNmAn » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:19 am

Hello fellow Canberra commuters.

I am intending on doing a few laps of Lake BG for a charity ride soon.
I was wondering what is there in the way of bike pathes around the lake from say the Kingston Glassworks to Bottom end of Duntroon.
I know that there was talk of a path through the wetalnds, but not sure of the status of that.

I know that there is a path near the molonglo on the western side of the waterski bridge, but what links from there to Kingston in a southerly direction.

I gmapped it (ill post link when I get home) and there seems to be some kind of track through the wetlands, but not sure if its private/shared public.

I also found a link to a swf map (Cant access at work) so I was wondering what there may be in the way of egress from Kingston to Duntroon keeping as close to th elake/wetlands of course.

Cheers in advance for replies.
DaNmAn

by BNA » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:08 am

BNA

Re: Circumnavigate Lake BG

Postby m@ » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:08 am

Do you mean this one, between Dairy Rd and Newcastle St? I've ridden it once (a couple of years ago now); I believe it's a public path but not sure whether bikes are technically allowed on it. The surface is loose gravel and not really ideal for a roadbike, but ok if you take it slowly.
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby lemmiwinks » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:54 am

I've been through there too (couldn't remember the name of any of it though). No probs for me on a roadie at that time (27" wheels).
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC
lemmiwinks

Postby DaNmAn » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:47 am

Looks like the one, ill be doing a reccie this weekend...

700x32 should be fine on gravel - as long as it is dry.
DaNmAn

Postby HAKS » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:17 pm

The purpose built cycle path through the Jerrabomberra wetlands to finally finish the full LBG route will be done within 6months.....well so i read in the Cbr times a few weeks back. I know it doesn't solve your problem now but at least its finally coming.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
HAKS

Postby ifixbikes » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:45 pm

I'm not sure if they have finished the path along the front of the kingston foreshore, but for years and years there has always been nothing from the intersection of mundaring dr and wentworth ave in kingston to the carpark at the wetlands.
Its easy enough to do, just continue along wentworth, then cut through the causeway, and then through the wetlands. Surface wise it's all sealed until the wetlands where there is a mixture of dirt, gravel, tarmac and timber on the bridges.

Apart from that small section, it's bike path all the way around the lake.
ifixbikes

Postby DaNmAn » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:29 am

Cheers for all the replies guys - I managed to find my way through this morning, done a 10km hot lap -bloody awesome day for it too...

Here is a map compliments of runkeeper iphone app

URL to my Runkeeper page

I did take a minor wrong turn in the wetlands that you can see, and I have figured out how to get clear egress along Mundaring Drive to Newcastle Street.

Its also interesting to see that the altitude looks very square wave compared to riding to town from ngunnawal.
DaNmAn

Postby DaNmAn » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Well I did 2 laps of this on the weekend, with some others, it was for my everyday hero event to raise funds for the Red Cross Tsunami Appeal.

Was a great ride with great weather, I was a little disappointed though that of the $2600 I made, naught came via the BNA even though I posted event details up a few weeks ago.

None the less, I still generated some funds for red cross.

A personal tally of teh day includes a bike computer dying, 3 tubes punctured, 2 c02 canisters and forgot to resume runkeeper after my first stop so it only tracked 20km of a possible 60.

I had so many dramas that my brother ended up giving me his klunker mountain bike to finish the last 35km.

Pictures from the event can be found here

a slideshow of one lap of the lake can be found here

and if you wish, monies are still being accepted up until a year after the event..

More details at here

original BNA forum post (For background info) here

All in all a great day, and has inspired me to do some social 60km legs now :)
DaNmAn

Postby HAKS » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:57 pm

Congrats. I ducked out around the Lake in the afternoon and remembered your ride that morning so good to hear it went well.
HAKS

Postby DaNmAn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:54 am

Hey hey,

Bit of an old thread I am dredging up but better than starting a new one.

I heard a snippet on the radio this morning about a possible start to the bike path through the wetlands end of the lake.

Anyone have further information on that ?

I spose I could look up the Territory and Municipal Services website but if anyone has any info in the interim that would be appreciated :)

Dan
DaNmAn

Postby DaNmAn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:04 am

Well this is all I found on TAMS website

http://www.tams.act.gov.au/__data/asset ... y_Path.pdf

Bit odd that it has been closed since mid January and its just been announced on the radio...

Anyone got further info I may be missing?
DaNmAn

Postby HAKS » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:48 am

Nothing more then reading about it in some ACT Gov pamphlet that was in the letterbox yesterday. Didn't have any further details about dates, just that it was part of the ACT cycling paths upgrade.
HAKS

Return to ACT