Has the ACT government bought a new road sweeper?

Has the ACT government bought a new road sweeper?

Postby Jean » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:40 pm

One of my favourite rants as a Canberra cyclist is the staggering amount of debris I find, and deal with, on the road. A few weeks ago, after a brief lay off, I noticed that my usual morning ride route along Ginninderra Drive seemed to be markedly better in this regard. It wasn't perfect, but the usual fields of broken glass I was used to seemed to have disappeared. I wondered if it had been swept?

Then last week (I think it was last week, maybe the week before) I saw a street sweeper actually at work, on Lady Denman Drive. Now this is only the second time I have ever noted a street sweeper at work in Canberra, and the last one I saw was cleaning a Belconnen car park early one morning (useful that), so I thought this was a pretty staggering develoment. Then today, driving out to Stromlo for a lunch time MTB session, I saw another one! This time I checked it out, and it seemed very shiny and new. Then to top it off I saw it again working the other side of the road on the way back! :shock:

Dare I hope?
Jean

by BNA » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:08 pm

BNA

Re: Has the ACT government bought a new road sweeper?

Postby Fletcher » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:08 pm

Can't say I've heard of new street sweepers but that would be nice. I was only thinking this morning that there was twice as much glass on my route to work. Emu Bank around Belconnen is a regular sea of glass on mondays as the revellers at Sails smash bottles all over the road on the weekend. Then I noticed at least two more bottles smashed on Belconnen Way/Barry Dr on the way into the city.
Fletcher

Postby PPFC » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:02 pm

I actually saw a sweeper working the other day.. to be honest I cannot remember where.. I just remember looking back in my mirror thinking someone is going to com hooting around the corner and ram up his rear.

Be good if it was a common thing.
PPFC

Postby HAKS » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:25 pm

Have the roads been resealed at all? If they have the contractor has to sweep them within 24hours of resealing and then again with 7days of resealing. I only know cause my street just got resealed.

Apart from that i remember someone mentioning that the ACT gov were trialling a new glass sweeper contractor so perhaps someone has reported glass and they have got on to it. Could also be a spring thing the Gov do ie. sweep all roads
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
HAKS

Postby Fletcher » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:32 am

HAKS wrote:Have the roads been resealed at all? If they have the contractor has to sweep them within 24hours of resealing and then again with 7days of resealing. I only know cause my street just got resealed.

Apart from that i remember someone mentioning that the ACT gov were trialling a new glass sweeper contractor so perhaps someone has reported glass and they have got on to it. Could also be a spring thing the Gov do ie. sweep all roads

A glass sweeper? Awesome. Where do I send emails to notify them of glass on the roads?

TAMS always seems to be resealing somewhere. I don't know how often roads are resealed, or what the criteria for resealing is, but there's some dodgily layed and sealed roads and bike paths around. There's one I use every day to get through Florey. They resealed it about two months ago, but didn't bother fencing it off, so while the bitumen was still wet cyclists were using it. It dried with tyre tracks running the length of the resealed section.
Fletcher

Postby m@ » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:57 am

Fletcher wrote:
HAKS wrote:Have the roads been resealed at all? If they have the contractor has to sweep them within 24hours of resealing and then again with 7days of resealing. I only know cause my street just got resealed.

A glass sweeper? Awesome. Where do I send emails to notify them of glass on the roads?

Just 'cos I'm still on the Pedal Power distribution list... I believe this would be the appropriate page - use the link 1/2 way down to make an online report, or call the number (132281).
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Jean » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:33 am

Whatever the contractor's obligations were, the ones who resealed parts of Gininderra Dve a while back didn't take any notice. The gravel debris has been shocking - until the apparent recent road sweep anyway.
Jean

Postby HAKS » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:45 pm

Jean wrote:

Whatever the contractor's obligations were, the ones who resealed parts of Gininderra Dve a while back didn't take any notice. The gravel debris has been shocking - until the apparent recent road sweep anyway.

I don't know how effective the sweeping is. They swept our road early Sunday morning (how convenient) and it didn't really appear to make a difference. Will make final judgement after the next pass. See below for exact details. They definitely haven't swept our footpath yet.

TAMS wrote:Removal of loose stones after resurfacing

Roads ACT is attempting to limit the inconvenience imposed on motorists and residents by loose stones on the road surface.

As a term of the resealing contract, contractors must sweep loose stones within the first 24 hours after resealing, and again within seven days. At this time sweeping is also undertaken on adjoining areas such as footpaths, driveways, etc.

Also got this from the CCC website regarding the glass sweeper. It's dated 16 Aug 09 on the main news page.

http://www.canberracyclingclub.org.au/n ... ontId=1119
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
HAKS

Return to ACT