Todays rides

ACT SC600

Re: Todays rides

Postby ACT SC600 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:20 pm

cp123 wrote:I heard a radio announcement this morning re cyclist vs truck at the corner of State Circle and Melbourne Ave - approx. 6.30 or 7 am. Does anybody know any more? :|
Truck was a dual cab (tradie ute) bike looked cactus (went past around 630ish) police were on the scene but we didnt see an Ambulance - a guy who was standing talking to police was wearing what looked like to be a yellow high vis cycling jacket

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:05 pm

with all due respect to that person - I hope he was the rider - (ie meaning if he was standing there he was relatively okay) and not just a witness to someone who may've already been carted off....

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri May 16, 2014 7:54 pm

The Friday bunch I usually ride with goes around State Circle...at that time...I may of dodged a bullet (or a twin cab tradie ute) by riding with a different bunch this morning. Though saying that, my alternate bunch encountered more than it's usual share of MMs on Hopetoun Cct/Mugga Way.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:39 pm

I was riding southbound on CW ave this evening and i'd just come out of the parly house tunnel and was going round towards the off ramp to Canberra Ave.

MM behind me gets on the horn in a looooong BLLLLAAAAAASSSSST and holds it for close to 20 seconds as he passed me. Maybe he was trying to get my attention about something...? :roll: It looked like a new mini minor and could've been dark blue (it was pretty dark) but had 2 white strips up and over it.

Numberplate could've been N BO z75 - or something like that. And unfortunately I didn't have the camera on because I never had time last night to charge it last night.

I hope he felt better for it because it didn't upset me on little bit.

thelittlebattler

Postby thelittlebattler » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:43 pm

Standard Mt Stromlo skyline loop this afternoon. Was my 2nd ride back after a month long holiday, beautiful afternoon for it. Everytime I do Stromlo I think to myself I should do it more often, only done a handful this year as I was training for road rides before the holiday (cycling in Europe).
The trails look good, and the new schwalbe tyre handles much better than the old conti explorers.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:45 pm

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 08uya.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

heal well - whoever this may be.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:34 pm

Lobs - are you back on board yet? was that you riding along Fincham Cres this morning in a (mostly) red top, blue shorts and white shoes? If it was, and you saw someone creep out of Maloney Street and wearing stripey arms - that was me. :-)

You've possibly ridden past me any number of times but i'm not sure which one you are still.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Yep, that was me. I got back on the bike after about 2 weeks from the crash, as the pain in my knees was more tolerable than the pain of catching the bus... Only took a week or so of gentle riding before the knees came good. I'm feeling pretty close to 100% now and eagerly awaiting my replacement frame. I'll slow down and say g'day next time I see you.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:26 am

good oh - i'll keep my eyes out too for next time. usually i'm at crawling pace as I come out the top of Maloney street as i'm already stuffed in my first 200 metres and usually just roll on down fincham street to the roundabout. and then I get going properly. I have to warm up slowly too if its cold or windy otherwise I end up coughing and spluttering all the way in and for the first hour at work.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:50 pm

Had a wonderful afternoon ride doing the Point Hut to Tharwa loop. Spoilt by a hit and run at the roundabout at Sternberg and Erindale. Left hooked by a white van 4wd, who slowed down for a bit, but then drove off. No idea of the make, model or rego plate. What a prick, knowing that he hit me and didn't even stopping to check I'm OK (which I am, and there's only a couple of minor scratches on the bike).

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:22 pm

That is shite! Good fortune that neither you or the bike were too badly injured.
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:53 pm

gawd - you aren't having any luck are you.

that sucks b....s :evil:

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:10 pm

Wednesday night riding home along the Athllon Drive track. It was raining reasonably heavily at about 7 pm and obviously dark. I wear glasses (normal ones not cycling ones) that I need to see with. However, they were covered in rain drops and I was like a nodding dog trying to see through lots of reflections and drips etc. I'm going down the hill south past the Mt Taylor horse paddocks. So as I'm going downhill and the cars are coming up towards me I can barely see anything. I had one arm up to protect myself against the car lights as there's water spray and reflected glare everywhere. But unfortunately I couldn't see the track in front of me - then Suddenly right in front of me I see a kangaroo lying down on the path. I haul the brakes and think fiiireeeetrrrruck as I didn't think I could pull up in time and do a hard swing right to get round him. I then pull up and get off to go back and see what's happening. He then sits up but I can see that at least one, and possibly both back legs are broken and he can't move his back end :( So i'm assuming he'd been hit by a car and bounced off and landed there. I didn't think there was any hope for him but couldn't ring anyone as I didn't have a phone. I got home and rang tams to send a ranger out to help him go to god. They'd apparently already had a couple of calls about him and the girl advised that the ranger was on his way. She said there probably wasn't much hope for him and I said I realised that, but it would still be a better end than lying there for hours/days in pain or getting attacked by foxes. He wasn't there this morning.

In hindsight the rain and the glare and the speed I was going could've ended badly as I seriously didn't see him till I was right in front of him. something to think about for next time its raining...