Todays rides

cp123

Re: Todays rides

Postby cp123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:35 am

well, I was commuting in to work as per usual and one of the "regular fast guys who passes me" passed me. Get down to the lights near Beasley Street in Torrens/Mawson and pull up at the lights next to him and we start having a chat. You know the usual - "glad it's not stinking hot, blah blah, I like winter better blah blah. Not me, I'd rather have hot than cold blah blah". And off we go together having a chat about life, the universe and everything. We get down to Marist school and I said "off ya go mate, don't need to wait for me - see ya tomorrow" and off he went.

20 mins later and I roll down from Commonwealth Ave left onto London Circuit and there's a commotion at the front of the lakeside hotel. This same chap has been clean bowled and is now lying there while he helpful folk who saw what happened have called an ambulance.

Nate - I hope you're ok! :| Heal well. And I hope you're back on board soon. I didn't even know your name until I saw what the good samaratin was writing down for you.

If anyone knows Nate and hears how is getting on, please let him know i hope he's okay

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:34 pm

Saw something mentioning a crash there this morning. Hope he is ok
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:11 pm

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 2d88a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sounds better than it could've been. he was conscious, compus mentus and not screaming in pain nor covered in blood. Albeit of course there are any other number of possible spinal or internal injuries that he could've had.

NatW

Postby NatW » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Told about this discussion by a friend so thought I'd better register. It was in fact me who got hit this morning. Multiple X-rays show no broken bones. I'm just very sore and sorry for myself, and pretty lucky I think. Very unlucky for both myself and the driver really. Thanks to everyone who stopped, there are lots of good samaritans out there. Haven't seen my bike yet but am hoping it is okay and that I'll be back up and running soon.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:40 pm

No charges expected to be laid? In NSW, a single vehicle accident caused by road conditions still results in a neg driving charge!

Congrats on escaping serious injury Nate, sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:16 am

Hi NatW, can you tell us how it happened?

NatW

Postby NatW » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Sure. I was travelling along (approx 20km/hr) coming down towards Rydges Lakeside. I could see up ahead it was a red light and kept advancing up the left hand side. As I was about to approach and pass the Rydges Driveway an SUV inidcated and turned into the driveway at what I gather was the exact moment I was in his blindspot. Went straight into the front left hand side of his car and ended up on the cobblestone driveway. No witnesses can confirm as to when he indicated - so my word against his. I believe he indicated and turned immediately. He had been stationary about five metres back from the driveway and was not indicating when stationary. As soon as the light went green and he had room to move slightly forward and turn in he indicated and turned and I didn't have enough time to miss him. Police say that because he indicated (despite how late) he didn't break any laws. Initially police said I was in the wrong for advancing/passing cars on the left. After review they realised this was legal on a bicyle. However, driver won't be charged because he indicated. I feel they should have been indicating whilst stationary (which they admit they didn't/weren't doing) considering how close they were to there intended left turn. I seem to be okay and so does the bike, so I am basically leaving it at that. I sometimes ride with a camera (a cheapy off ebay), but had cleaned the bike the night before and didn't reattach. :(

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:26 pm

I'm the chick you were talking to at Torrens! And I'm sure you didn't register, but i stopped at the Lakeside when i saw it was you. But you were in another world of pain/haze/adrenalin what have you. When the meat wagon came I left.

Glad to know you're not chop suey! :lol:

edited to add - glad we have a new local member to this forum - but it's a seriously crap way to join. :D

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:39 pm

Ah, the dreaded SMIDT (Sorry mate, I didn't think). That being said... passing on the left is an exercise in risk management, so you take your chances doing that.

Speaking of indicators... bloody old people and roundabouts, how hard it is to understand the road rules for indicating!

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:48 pm

You know what - I go down that same way every morning. And I've come to learn to be damn straight about claiming a lane there as it is a pretty serious squeeze point in peak hour. I always do a headcheck there as many cars coming down try and push past so they're not "stuck behind a cyclist..." :roll: Plus you get ones turning from the left lane to the right and vice versa. If there's traffic ahead, I personally don't bother trying to go past on the left but just take my spot behind whichever car is in front of me and wait till the lights change. The number of knobs I've had come down the hill behind me, change lanes, accellerate to try and pass (while I'm actually doing the same speed as them :roll: ), and then get back into the left lane and pull up in a space of about 80 metres is mind boggling... I hold my position, stare right in their eyes if i have to, and let them then hit their brakes to go back in behind me.

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:11 pm

I have no trouble believing your version of events NatW!
I don't understand why Canberra drivers stop at a red light, wait a minute - and then indicate. I haven't seen this anywhere else in Australia! And it isn't that they don't know. I drive up Commonwealth Avenue every morning - the last intersection, where you turn left to OPH, you go straight up to Parliament house, or you take the slip lane to National Circuit - I see it every single day (incidentally, I can't believe the amount of cyclists I see there - it's the quickest way when I start riding to work, but I'm buggered if I'd ride a bike in that area during peak hour). They'll stop at the red light in the left lane - and wait for it to go green before they indicate. It's especially annoying if you're in the left lane to go up the slip lane, and end up stuck behind 8 cars turning the corner, none of whom indicated.

While I'm whinging about Canberra drivers, I also don't know why they break to go through green lights... See it every afternoon heading back home to outer Gungahlin...

Anyway man, I hope you're back on the bike soon - I'll be extra careful next time I'm riding down that way.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Hey fat dude - I'm a fattish chick on a bike! :oops: :lol: (but working on it!)

I agree with what you say. I ride home up CW Ave each night and have met multiple knobs along the way.

As long as we all agree that it's good to see Nat is alive and well and hopefully we'll all see him back on the bike again soon!!!! :P

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:00 pm

This morning while driving to work at 6.45am, I passed a biggish peleton on Melrose drive, As I drove past I slowed down to ogle at the magnificent bikes and the perfect formation ....I then went to Equinox cafe in Deakin for a takeout capp and was confronted by a gazillion world class bikes at the front of the cafe.........it was a good start to the morning, damn good coffee too. :D
When in doubt......mumble.

skull

Postby skull » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:11 pm

sounds like the bakery bunch maybe.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:46 am

fatdudeonabike wrote:
While I'm whinging about Canberra drivers, I also don't know why they break to go through green lights... See it every afternoon heading back home to outer Gungahlin...
Are you talking about the lights at the intersection of Gungahlin Dr and Gundaroo Dr where Gungahlin Lakes club is? If so, there is a speed/red light camera at that intersection so that is probably why they are braking. If it is a different intersection then they are just s#%t drivers.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:41 pm

N = 4. Test rode the new bike up and down the street after finishing the build. Not sure where to park it though - now nine bikes in the household. :(

Sent from my iThingy...

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:56 pm

Ross wrote:
fatdudeonabike wrote:
Are you talking about the lights at the intersection of Gungahlin Dr and Gundaroo Dr where Gungahlin Lakes club is? If so, there is a speed/red light camera at that intersection so that is probably why they are braking. If it is a different intersection then they are just s#%t drivers.
You sure? I drive that every time I go to the lake for a ride or to the shops - I've never noticed them! Cheers for the heads up!

In any case, no, that's not the intersection I'm referring to - I don't go that far. I'm talking about the 2 Kosciusko Avenue turnoffs. The break to go through it for no reason.

In other news, I did the full LBG loop for the first time today. Loved it! (Aside from the "missing" bits of path at Kingston and near ADF) I felt amazing afterwards. Damn I misjudged a couple of those hills though - in particular the short sharp Museum ascent and the hill at Government House... brutal!

A lot of knobhead riders on that shared path though unfortunately. Strava warriors with no bells, and no regard for other users of the path. I though 2 guys were about to run straight into me as they thread the needle (between Lady Denman and the zoo) between me on one side and some peds going the other way on the other side.

It's really no wonder that every cycling-related article on the CT website is met with vitriol and hatred when you see rude and inconsiderate cyclists behaviour like that.

I think I probably got a speeding ticket along Parkes way on the way home, but even if I did, the quality of todays ride was worth it! (Must order a jersey that fits this week... the padded shorts do a good job, but t-shirt chaffing on the nipple is a biyatch!)

Adstar

Postby Adstar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:51 pm

For a ride of similar distance fatdudeonabike, try the ride from Gungahlin out to Belco and around Lake Gininderra. Can do it on paths the whole way and don't need to ferry the bike into town first.

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Ross, I know that intersection. Just moved up to forde recently and I've noticed that too. lol

Anyway, was gonna join cyclechic ride this morning but didnt wake up early enough.

So missus and I decide to drive to city with 2 bikes, then bike to braddon,dickson and lyneham then back to civic. Took the peerless out and with original tyres (bad idea) it was not gonna end well. lol Sidewall on rear tyre gave up but held air for a bit. Then the tube bulged up and blew up on the way back to civic. cbf walking all the way so in some parts i rode the bike on the dirt patches (still had old tyre under so wheel was fine)

but yep, that was my day. lol

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:05 pm

Adstar wrote:For a ride of similar distance fatdudeonabike, try the ride from Gungahlin out to Belco and around Lake Gininderra. Can do it on paths the whole way and don't need to ferry the bike into town first.
Thanks man... I'll put it on the list... although the reason for carting the bike into Civic was because thats where my car-less friend that I was riding with is based. I hadnt intended on being a "group rider", I was drawn to cycling as an individual sport - but I've changed my tune today. The motivational aspect of not wanting to embarrass myself was quite good for me. Certainly I would've only done the western loop if I hadnt had my friend (who got her bike after me) with me and wanting to do the full loop.

Adstar

Postby Adstar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:01 pm

No worries mate. I did the same myself last week. Planned on a ride from Gung around LBG and back again next weekend. Then I remembered the multicultural festival is on next weekend and I want to try for around the world in beer and food :) Will need the whole Saturday for that and Sunday for recovery!!!!!

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:28 am

I hear you on that one mate... next weekend is, by far, Canberra's best annual event. Of that, there is no doubt.

I don't see my diet going too well over the next couple of weeks...

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:59 am

fatdudeonabike wrote: In any case, no, that's not the intersection I'm referring to - I don't go that far. I'm talking about the 2 Kosciusko Avenue turnoffs. The break to go through it for no reason.
That area is quite dangerous when riding on the path ajacent to Gungahlin Dr heading toward the golf club where a lot of the traffic coming out from the Kosciusko Avenue turns don't look for cyclists coming down the path and across the pedestrian crossing. Had a few near misses myself and saw a cyclist hit there so rarely ride there anymore. They need raised pedestrian crossing there, like the Gungahlin Town Centre has.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Hazard alert! :shock:

Last night I was riding home southbound from woden on the shared recreational path parallel-ish to Callam Street/Athllon Drive (the one that goes behind Woden police station, under Hindmarsh Drive and up around Swinger Hill and then down to the tunnel at Melrose High school) for those that know it.

Recently there were a couple of potholes mid way between Hindmarsh Drive and the Melrose tunnell and TAMS or whoever must've had a "Fix my street" complaint as the area was recently refilled. Well, I don't know whether it was like skin forming over custard or something but last night as I was dribbling home I noticed a whopping great hole in the same spot approximately 3 foot wide and 2 foot deep. It was certainly enough to drop a front wheel into. Someone had kindly put a big branch in the hole (and i'm filling out another Fix my Street form as I speak), but just in case anyone goes that way I don't want you to rearrange your face and lose all your teeth if you find it in he dark. It's probably more towards the Melrose tunnel end than Hindmarsh Drive (near the top of the hill).

someone could come a serious cropper there.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:31 pm

Yeap noticed the repairs were failing fast when i went through there on Wed evening.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)