160km ride to Yass

160km ride to Yass

Postby yyeric » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:31 pm

I am thinking to do a ride to Yass via Uriarra Rode, Mountain Creek Road and Wee Jasper Road instead of the more popular Barton Highway route.

Good Map Direction can be linked from here.

Length: 80km each way departing from Acton.

I was intrigued by this image of Yass from Bec Doolan: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xo4hO4aMwPk/S ... h/yass.JPG

It will start form 8AM and pleasurely arriving in Yass for lunch. Back on the same route to return to Canberra at preferably 4PM.

Anyone?
yyeric

by BNA » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:08 pm

BNA

Re: 160km ride to Yass

Postby Ross » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:08 pm

There's a couple of sections of dirt, each a couple of kms or so, the first starting a few kms down Fairlight Rd (this joins Mtn Crk Rd from Uriarra Crossing). Doable on a road bike but road was quite corrugated last time I rode it. Take an extra spare tube just in case the unthinkable happens. Not sure how good the mobile phone reception is out that way.

A good climb too a bit further down the road, goes for a few kms so pace yourself! You'll have a warmup of hills on Fairlight Rd anyway (before the dirt), a couple of short sharp ones there.

Once you get part the dirt sections it is a pleasant ride, nice scenery and not much traffic. A few rolling hills, not too bad. The last few kms of road into Yass is a bit bumpy and patchy (sealed road, just patched potholes).
Ross

Re: 160km ride to Yass

Postby yyeric » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:34 pm

I was told there are approximately in total of 10km worth of mild dirt road divided into 3 sections on the way.

Thanks very much for the information, Ross.
yyeric

Return to ACT