ACT Roads cleaning up the glass

ACT Roads cleaning up the glass

Postby Fletcher » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:31 pm

In my travels over the last few weeks I noticed that patches of broken glass were being cleaned up, usually within a week or so, rather than being left for months. Then I noticed the following in Pedal Power's latest online bulletin. Two thumbs up I say.

Action on Broken Glass
ACT Roads has engaged a contractor for a 6 month trial to specifically clear up broken glass on the roads or paths. So now if you report broken glass to Canberra Connect Feedback site under "submit a question or feedback"- Transport, Roads and Traffic - request for service it should be cleaned up quickly. Reporting is easier if you set up an "account". Please be specific in the location details - distance from an intersection, address etc. but no map references as there are different Canberra maps. The more specific you can be on the location, the more likelihood Roads ACT will be able to find it easily and fix it. You could also phone them on 132281.

Edited to add the following:
P.S. lets keep them busy in the hope it becomes a long term, or maybe even permanent arrangement . I'm NOT talking about smashing bottles on the roads and paths, but notifying ACT Roads of any glass lying about the place.
Fletcher

by BNA » Sun May 02, 2010 6:48 pm

BNA

Re: ACT Roads cleaning up the glass

Postby Bantam Roosta » Sun May 02, 2010 6:48 pm

Sounds great. Can you contact the same mob for excess gravel etc, because there are a few points on my commute where I have to go onto the road because of all the debris, but no glass.
Bantam Roosta

Postby yehuwdiy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:18 pm

Howdy Pilgrims,

Raising the dead with this post :) BUT, is this still ongoing? The paths out at Dunlop are perpetually littered with glass. Still, the fact that there are actually paths means that Canberra beats Brisbane!
yehuwdiy

Postby HAKS » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:49 am

Pretty sure it is. Just log a job on Canberra connect or whatever the site is and they action it.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
HAKS

Postby yehuwdiy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:03 am

Howdy HAKS,

Thanks for the reply, will look into it today. There are some points where glass is seemingly added daily, kind of pretty in the afternoon sun. I may just take the GPS with me next week and press the button every time there is sig. glass. Will report back if there is any action!
yehuwdiy

Postby auskonrad » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:12 pm

The golf ball sized things that are dropping off trees this time of year, and acorns are getting pretty dangerous at 30km/h+ on skinny tyres. Try as you may to dodge them, you may just dodge into another one in some spots, such is their coverage.

So I tried telling ACT Gov about it with their new Google map point and request thingo: https://www.contact.act.gov.au/app/ask/ ... p1N3gybXFr

I got a reply back regarding cleaning away a rather comprehensively littered section within 12 hours. The job has been logged and Muni services are 'onto it'. I'm pretty impressed...

So give it a whirl - the link goes directly to a complaint about a section of on or off road bicycle lane.
auskonrad

Postby Jean » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:36 pm

yehuwdiy wrote:Howdy Pilgrims,

Raising the dead with this post :) BUT, is this still ongoing? The paths out at Dunlop are perpetually littered with glass. Still, the fact that there are actually paths means that Canberra beats Brisbane!

Dunlop is a perpetual glass hell hole, particularly near the Charnwood Tavern. Glad to be out of there now.
Jean

Postby yehuwdiy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:16 am

Yeah, I've given up. Vodka alco-pop and energy drink bottles smashed as far as the eye can see. I had six new patches on my commute last week alone. We need a bloody permanent street sweeper doing laps of the paths out here. I've ridden most ofthe paths around Canberra now and Dunlop/Charnwood is the worst area - bar none, that I have found so far. Tell you what though, zero punctures since I've been running Serfas Survivors, despite pulling out some hunks of glass every trip.
yehuwdiy

Postby auskonrad » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:10 am

yehuwdiy wrote:Yeah, I've given up. Vodka alco-pop and energy drink bottles smashed as far as the eye can see. I had six new patches on my commute last week alone. We need a bloody permanent street sweeper doing laps of the paths out here. I've ridden most ofthe paths around Canberra now and Dunlop/Charnwood is the worst area - bar none, that I have found so far. Tell you what though, zero punctures since I've been running Serfas Survivors, despite pulling out some hunks of glass every trip.

Yeah, my Rubino's are doing very well too. Maybe 500km on them so far without a 'P' word. So yeah... +1 to Vittoria Rubinos. Lot of glass in the cycle lane connecting Northbourne and Commonwealth ave this morning.
auskonrad

Return to ACT