Motorcyclists ticketed for riding in bike lane

Motorcyclists ticketed for riding in bike lane

Postby Ross » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:37 pm

http://www.police.act.gov.au/media-cent ... -hour.aspx

Two motorcyclists were issued with TINs for riding in the dedicated cycle lane on the Gungahlin Drive.

Four drivers were issued with TINs for failing to pay their compulsory third party insurance.

Wonder what happens if they hit someone and their CTP insurance has lapsed?
Ross

by BNA » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:24 pm

BNA

Re: Motorcyclists ticketed for riding in bike lane

Postby RobertFrith » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:24 pm

Ross wrote:Wonder what happens if they hit someone and their CTP insurance has lapsed?

Bankruptcy
RobertFrith

Postby Colin_T » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:41 am

I wonder if there is anything in the rule book about not being able to use a motorbike in a cycle lane?
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.
Colin_T

Postby psike » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:47 am

Had a friend ticketed for doing this. Idiot. She learnt her lesson, but the cop actually said riding a motorbike in the lane breaks three codes;
1. they are designated bike lanes, powered vehicles can move through them (ie. to turn thru them) but not travel in them.
2. crossing an unbroken line
3. undertaking (in this case she went into the lane to pass cars)

Don't know how legal it is. they have been cracking down on this every few weeks for several months.

Russ

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco
psike

Postby Zac150 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:38 pm

I am pleased to see cops cracking down on motor bikes driving in bike lanes.

Question though, how do you not pay CTP in the ACT, isn't it compulsory and part of our rego! I assume these cars must be from NSW which is interesting that the cameras pick up NSW vehicles as well. With regard to what would happen if your CTP lapsed and you hit someone, I would say that you would take on the RTA as last time I registered a car in NSW (about 10 years ago) you had to show you had paid for your green slip before you could register the car (which makes sense). So you would have to ask the question "how".
Zac150

Postby HAKS » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:58 pm

My take on it is what happens with an unregistered vehicle hits someone, therefore having no CTP insurance. Rather then a registered vehicle with no CTP which seems to be impossible going off NSW and ACT laws. I'd assume all other states have something similar ie. a car can't be registered without CTP first
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
HAKS

Postby Ross » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Zac150 wrote:I am pleased to see cops cracking down on motor bikes driving in bike lanes.

Question though, how do you not pay CTP in the ACT, isn't it compulsory and part of our rego! I assume these cars must be from NSW which is interesting that the cameras pick up NSW vehicles as well. With regard to what would happen if your CTP lapsed and you hit someone, I would say that you would take on the RTA as last time I registered a car in NSW (about 10 years ago) you had to show you had paid for your green slip before you could register the car (which makes sense). So you would have to ask the question "how".

Yes, CTP insurance is part of your rego but I think the CTP actually stays current for a fortnight or so after the rego runs out, so some people get a fine just for no rego and others that have let the rego lapse longer get a fine for no CTP as well. ACT only has one CTP insurer, NRMA. You don't need to go to them first to get a green slip, you just pay your rego at the Motor Vehicle Registry (or online) and it is automatically included. Not sure if the RAPID camera can detect interstate unregistered vehicles, I'm guessing it probably can.
Ross

Postby cjawnik » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Citybound Northbourne Ave/Antill St intersection. I'm waiting at the lights and a motorbike rider pulled up along side me in *OUR* lane. Got his number plate, but is there any point in me reporting him?

Regardless, from this point on I'll always look behind me before stopping at this, or the next, intersection so if there's a motorbike in the lane I'll block him out then have trouble taking off when the lights turn green.
cjawnik

Return to ACT