beginner bike trails

LoveB

beginner bike trails

Postby LoveB » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:49 am

Can anyone suggest a path/trail for a beginner? :oops:

Most I've done recently was go around the ginninderra lake around belconnen.

I havent been on a bike in a long long time and want to gradually work my way up to being able to do high k's.

I'm in the Belconnen area if that helps.. Or if theres like a group for helping out the new guys that'd be great! thanks guys

Paul

HAKS

Re: beginner bike trails

Postby HAKS » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:58 pm

What type of riding do you want i.e. Road, Off Road?

If road then any of the bike paths are fine. Just ride to your hearts content and keep adding on extra Km as you feel up to it.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:47 pm

Bit of both.

I can probably do laps around the ginninderra lake.. Was wondering where theres offroad ones that are easy enough to do? buying Skorpn-7s HT bike and wanted to do a bit of light off road biking.

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Another easy ride from Belco would be to and from Dickson via the AIS and the path east of GDE that takes you to Dickson.
Or up the bike path from the lake near William Slim (past Mckellar) to Gungahlin, or onto the Barton Hwy verge and out to Gold Creek or Hall.

Or take your bike down to the city/National Library and ride around central and/or east basin. West basin has a few more hills for after you get fitter :)

I am trying to think of a good place with off road trails that are easy to follow. Most of the loops at Stromlo Forest Park have technical bits, some easier than others...

The other week I rode along a trail at Holt that runs next to the road starting from the bushfire brigade and going out to the top of Stockdill Drive. It would be a couple of km each way. I think you could probably ride on gravel trails all the way from Cook to Holt around the edge of suburbia pretty easily?

I've also been exploring the pipeline trail along the Molonglo on both sides of Coppins Xing, but there is no easy way to get to this unless you drive to the gates on Coppins Xing Rd. And there are gates you have to lift the bike over (lots on the downstream side).

Steph

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:49 am

Might try that dickson one.

I think I may have biked to that path that leads to gunghalin.the first time I tried I thought I was on my way around the lake until I saw the sign that says barton highway. LOL

I'd love to bike to that bushfire brigade. Being a volunteer firefighter myself at home I'd love to visit the station :D

And I dont mind driving to places to get to bike. Theres one where I usually see people park at. Bindubi road I think it was? there seems to be a gravel part before you get to the intersection where people bike. I think theres a gravel/dirt trail there too. might try that one when the other bike arrives.

(gotta wait cause the repco one im using now only has rear v brakes and the fronts are kind of shot so I dont really wanna risk myself and otehrs lol)

anyone know where I can get one of those books that show the bikepaths around ACT?

bklff3

Postby bklff3 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:33 pm

You can get them from the ACT Shopfronts, but you sometimes have to wait a while to be served. The one at Belco is at Swanson Court (near the Library, to the East of Westfields).

Alternately the Local Bike SHop (LBS) may have copies. Try Onya Bike at Belco at 61 Lathlain St Belconnen

There is a version online (link below) - but it's best to get a hard copy as the online version isn't much use when you get lost!

http://apps.actpla.act.gov.au/plandev/t ... h_map3.swf