Fitz's Classic

twizzle

Re: Fitz's Classic

Postby twizzle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:44 pm

And don't forget the SUNSCREEN!
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

psike

Postby psike » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:28 pm

twizzle wrote:And don't forget the SUNSCREEN!
and the big spoonful of concrete for half way up Fitz's Hill (or Honeysuckle if ya that way inclined).

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:22 pm

Update for weather... Upgraded to rain from showers... Grrr... Fingers crossed.

psike

Postby psike » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:01 am

BoM now says:
Forecast for Sunday

Cloudy. Isolated showers. Winds north to northwesterly averaging up to 35 km/h tending westerly up to 25 km/h during the evening.
City Centre
A little rain.
Min
Max

Of course it will be 37 and blistering hot fast northerlies to make that return ride so much more fun.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 pm

All the best for this weekend guys, all going well me and the many will be down next year.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

scotto

Postby scotto » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:16 pm

my legs feel shaky already ...
what is fitzs hill comparable to around sydney if anyone knows ?

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:26 pm

based on mapmyride profiles,

berowra, glatson et al approx 4km @6% 150m vertical ascent

fitz's approx 4kms @8% 250m vertical ascent

Comparison profiles at Fitz's compared to Berowra

Would love to hear from someone who regularly does Berowra etc and has also done Fitz's.
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:34 pm

you wont be bagging my 11-28t on a compact crankset this sunday!
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:24 am

Grrrr!!!! Im 50% at the moment. Just came down with a minor cold. Am boosting my immune system in a last ditch desperate attempt. Very, very angry. If its raining (and bureau says it is) I reckon I am a non starter unless I feel much better.

psike

Postby psike » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 am

Guys,
Fitz's hill is not to be underestimated but I think what makes this ride challenging is that it undulates almost the entire way, the only bit I recall as being relatively flat is towards the end of the ride after the climb of Mt McDonald around to Uriarra. Relatively flat. I actually find the toughest section *after* FItz's hill - from the summit to Rendevouz Ck turn-around and back to the Fitz's descent.

On Fitz's itself I think your profile is a little off. I'm pretty sure the actual climb on the hill proper is a bit over 2.5km and one section is about 6% for a few hundred metres, the rest is 8ish+. I've mapped and pasted a copy of the profile: http://twitpic.com/31dqbp Not sure if the image below will work, if not click on twitpic link...

Check out http://www.cycle2max.com/bike-hill-clim ... aspx?id=34 which says:

Total Distance:
2.60km | 1.62mi

Starting Altitude:
655m | 2,149ft

Finishing Altitude:
925m | 3,035ft

Average Gradient: 10.4%

Elevation Gain:
270m | 886ft

Surface Type:
Smooth Bitumen / Asphalt

Oh and for out of towners, take special care on Fitz's descent. It's a narrow road, and it has taken a harsh toll in the past.

Hope everyone enjoys. It's a great event, and should be up there with the Audax Alpine Classic in Bright as one of the must-dos.

See you all on a hill somewhere.

Russ..

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:35 am

psike wrote:Oh and for out of towners, take special care on Fitz's descent. It's a narrow road, and it has taken a harsh toll in the past.
psike's not being blunt enough : a rider died there a couple of years ago after crashing on the descent. There's a memorial on the hill.

Ride the middle of the road (not the lane - the ROAD) on the descent to avoid the bumps.

FWIW - Black Mountain has a remembrance plaque (alloy plate attached to some plywood bolted to the guard rail) about 200m up from the T intersection.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:25 am

looks like fun either way. and the ascent rewards you with a good descent !! dont always get that where we ride here !

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:03 pm

thanks for that info Russ...... i think. :? I kinda wished I didn't see it, but I guess it's better to be forwarned. The profile i linked to was someones upload onto mapmyride so I've no idea how accurate it was. Your profile def shows a steeper gradient than I've been geeing myself up for :oops: but at least it's only 2.5kms. Still looking forward to the challenge though. This is how it's pictured in my mind.......

Image. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Maybe El Diablo will be there to cheer us on.... Image
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

psike

Postby psike » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:43 pm

twizzle wrote: psike's not being blunt enough : a rider died there a couple of years ago after crashing on the descent. There's a memorial on the hill.

Ride the middle of the road (not the lane - the ROAD) on the descent to avoid the bumps.
yeah I probably wasn't... I met an old bloke at the AAC last year who came off on Fitz's Descent and went over the guard rail. Hospital for a few months. It's not a good road, it's narrow and if there's two cars passing there is nowhere for the bike to go. Take care.
nickj_d wrote:thanks for that info Russ...... i think. :? I kinda wished I didn't see it, but I guess it's better to be forwarned. The profile i linked to was someones upload onto mapmyride so I've no idea how accurate it was. Your profile def shows a steeper gradient than I've been geeing myself up for :oops: but at least it's only 2.5kms. Still looking forward to the challenge though.
yeah I think the profile changes on some of the sites because it's averaging the gradient out over a longer distance.

It will be just like your picture, we rent the crowds just to make visitors welcome.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

one_damo

Postby one_damo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:59 pm

Just found this thread...I'm signed up and looking forward to this too. Not sure how this 165km will go. And having crashed at Akuna descent recently, I'll be in the granny gear going down fitzs 8) Note: will be in the granny gear goin up too 8) :lol:

psike

Postby psike » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:11 am

So despite what the good people at the BoM are saying, I still reckon it will be hot and sunny. My prediction, 36 at the top of Corin - thankfully I won't be there to find out :D

Forecast for Sunday

Cloudy. Areas of rain and the chance of thunderstorms. Winds northeasterly averaging up to 30 km/h tending north to northwesterly up to 35 km/h around midday.
City Centre
Storms. Rain.
Min 12 Max 22

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

vinvin

Postby vinvin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:23 pm

So head winds on the way back? ~shudder~

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:58 am

vinvin wrote:So head winds on the way back? ~shudder~
The forecast still looks dire, I'm seriously wondering whether I should pull the pin - I was going to drive down this afternoon. What are the odds of it not being disgusting weather?

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:45 am

I reckon it will be fairly ordinary. Any forecasts of recent months have been reasonably accurate due to the la nina pattern. We have above average rainfall this year for the first time in 10 years, and it is forecast to be a wet summer. The system to blame for the crappy weather is too big to not affect Canberra.

I feel about 60% better than I did, but I am still about 50/50 for starting. The weather might just make the difference. If I do it, I will taking it very easy and will be aiming for low to mid 20's. My kidneys still ache.

number21

Postby number21 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:29 am

Its so hard to say no when I've been waiting for this for months. I've committed to going following two broken teeth and some chest infection thing over the last two weeks, I can't let a bit of rain stop me, can I?

That last bit may come back to bite me...

vinvin

Postby vinvin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:24 pm

It's overcast right now, but warm. I think it won't be too bad. A refreshing shower, if anything! Do it.

cog_nition

Postby cog_nition » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:31 pm

As psike has already suggested a spoonful of concrete in the bidon and we'll all be fine....I think I'll put in half a cup.

nickj_d

Postby nickj_d » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:28 pm

No pulling out now! On the way to canberra now. Weather getting worse as we get closer, but still looking forward to it. Too many hrs, kms and early mornings spent preparing for it to quit now.
2006 Giant OCR Comp
2010 Felt TK2
2010 Niner 29'er

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:05 pm

My prob is scraping together the entry fee. Flat broke at the moment :(.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

psike

Postby psike » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Contrary to all good advice, I've just spent a good few hours correcting some issues on the tandem we're riding tomorrow. I know, nothing should be changed on the bike this late in the piece, but it only just arrived back from Canada so no choice. That's all ok cos my stoker decided to buy a new seat. So today I made him ride a bit to test it and he's not happy so seat adjustments tomorrow morning... ugh.

Good luck to everyone. I'll be the pilot on a mauve tandem, wearing a blue-ish Fujitsu / Health jersey. Be sure to wave as you're heading back and we're still on the way out :)

oooh thunder!

Russ

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco