skull

Re: Crit racing at Stromlo

Postby skull » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:40 am

And the vets started last night

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

nescius

Postby nescius » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Yep, forgot about Vets! If I was super keen I could race Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday :D

The weather is looking interesting for this evening, wind is a westerly and seems to have been hovering around the 40kmh mark with gusts to around 55kmh, could make the straight sections pretty brutal but increases the chances of a successful breakaway (if the group works together!). It looks like there might be a few drops of rain around as well 8)
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

nescius

Postby nescius » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:38 am

It was a good first night of racing last night despite the wind and low temperatures. This was my first time at the Vikings Supercrit and it was a little different than the CCC Wednesday night crits in that multiple grades are on the track at once.

I raced B grade and we had a combined A, B, and C grade race, it worked pretty well and it was good to try and stick to the front group. The crosswind on the straights helped to split things up a bit, but surprisingly I wasn't too badly affected by it. It was announced that there is a new competition running this season for most aggressive rider so there were a few breakaway attempts, but none were ultimately successful. At one point there was a break of 3 or so stronger riders and I tried to jump across to join them... unfortunately I dragged the rest of the bunch with me, ha ha! It's always funny when you cross the gap then glance behind and see a strung out line of riders on your wheel.

I crossed the line in 4th overall and 2nd in B grade so I was pretty happy with that result. I still need to work on my sprint, it's slowly getting there but I have to work on getting up to speed quicker.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Congrats. I was hoping to get out there but instead was in the Hume Highway parking lot 1hr outside Sydney. Looking forward to next week now :)
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:40 pm

nescius wrote:Yep, forgot about Vets! If I was super keen I could race Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday :D

The weather is looking interesting for this evening, wind is a westerly and seems to have been hovering around the 40kmh mark with gusts to around 55kmh, could make the straight sections pretty brutal but increases the chances of a successful breakaway (if the group works together!). It looks like there might be a few drops of rain around as well 8)
Hey ben... I didn't know you are over 35 to race veterans! !!

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:55 pm

ACT SC600 wrote:
nescius wrote:Yep, forgot about Vets! If I was super keen I could race Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday :D

34 year old males can race with the vets, as long as they turn 35 before the end of the calendar year.
AVCC wrote:2. Age Qualification
Membership of the AVCC is accepted on 1st January of the year in which a male reaches 35 years of age, or a female 30 years of age.

However I suspect that this doesn't apply to the bonus period from October of the year before.

Cheers,

Cameron

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:15 pm

ironhanglider wrote:

However I suspect that this doesn't apply to the bonus period from October of the year before.
N

Cheers,

Cameron
In simple terms you need to turn 35 in the license year.

At least that's how I understand it. Will double check.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:00 pm

ACT SC600 wrote:

Haha, yeah, I'm 36... I just look well preserved :lol:, feels funny to consider myself a veteran of anything... it leads me to question what I've done with my life :shock:

nescius

Postby nescius » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:41 am

The first of the CCC crits was run last night and there was a pretty good turnout.

There were 56 riders in B Grade and half of them were downright dangerous, I have no idea how there wasn't a crash in that race. There were multiple pedal clips in the corners, people being put into the grass, people weren't holding their lines through the corners, it felt pretty unsafe. I went off the front but didn't have the legs to stay out there on my own (not with 55 guys chasing anyway!), my teammate eventually bridged to me but the bunch was too close and we got reeled in quickly. It was a really short crit (21 minutes) so none of the breaks ever looked like they were going to stick. It was also pretty tricky trying to move up and stay at the front when people were smashing the straights then hitting the brakes in the corners, I had to do way too much braking. It came down to a bunch sprint, I hadn't been able to move up far enough to contest the win and the guy in front of me almost came off on the final corner (no idea how he fluffed it so badly) and I ended up just out of the points, 11th or 12th over the line.

I think next week I'll try to be a bit more organised beforehand and chat to some of the other guys to see if we can form an early break, even if it doesn't stick it will be safer!

Vikings supercrit tonight will be better I hope!

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:44 am

@nescius

Same with Vets Crits. First couple of the year are always a bit sketchy. Riders not quite as fit as they were at the end of last season and a bit rusty in the skills.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:00 pm

Had a blast on Tuesday night racing my first ever Crit up at stromlo(veterans c-d grade)... got bumped on the last lap before the 2 laps to go sign.... grabbed the lead on the bell lap on the back straight and ended up finishing in 4th place overall - didn't change gears for the whole race and stayed in the big ring and small cog... next race will look at a set of standards (raced with compacts) and check if my rear is either a 12 or 11t cog... but boy oh boy was it exciting!!! :P

JaysonBrenton

Postby JaysonBrenton » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:11 pm

I was in that b grade crit last night. Bit of a dodgy crit. Nearly got taken out by some doofus locking his front wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

nescius

Postby nescius » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:29 am

I raced B Grade again last night, I made a few attacks during the race but my chances of staying away solo were slim and the one time someone came with me it was abundantly clear that he wasn't going to do any work. Team Quon had a lot of numbers and they tend to control the race reasonably well, I need to get some other guys organised to shake things up a bit. There were still a few dodgy riders around but I stuck to the front to stay out of trouble so it didn't affect me too much (except when Dominator rode straight off the track into the grass, not sure what was going on there). The bunch was all together on the last lap (50 riders) and I knew that if I was to have any hope of winning or even grabbing some points I needed to be in the top 5 for the final turn, there was a bit of hesitation at the front where people didn't want to be actually on the front so I attacked. I know my cornering isn't too bad so I just went flat out into collarbone corner, it seems that the riders behind me were still a bit jittery and there was a pretty nasty crash, I was still in the lead coming around the final turn but I was starting to fade, I managed to just hang on for 9th over the line but had dragged a teammate with me who snagged 4th. One of the riders who came down was quite badly hurt, fractured pelvis and dislocated shoulder (maybe broken too?), here's hoping he has a speedy recovery.

It was good turnout across all grades, with 280 riders all up, and conditions were a bit better than last week (not so much wind!)

I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to supercrits tonight, which is probably a blessing because my legs could do with a bit of a rest!

mistertim

Postby mistertim » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:18 pm

I was there last night too (E Grade - last week was my first race ever). The ambulance was on the track for quite a while attending to the guy who crashed in B Grade - for more than 20 minutes. That said, he looked pretty happy sitting in the front passenger seat when the ambulance drove away - yelling out the window and showing off his green whistle. But I guess pain killers will do that to you no matter how much pain you would otherwise be in.

skull

Postby skull » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:05 pm

anything is possible after a good suck on the green whistle.

nescius

Postby nescius » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:37 pm

The first night of the ACT crit champs is on tonight, I'll be looking forward to getting out and racing for the first time since Tour of Bright (and my first crit since November).

Junior Series Race 1* - 17:00:00 - 8 mins +1
Para-Cycling C Men & C Women - 17:20:00 - 20 mins +2
Masters Women 1 & 2 - 17:50:00 - 30mins +2
Mast Men 1, 2 & 3 - 18:25:00 - 30mins +2
Masters Women 5 – 7 plus, Master Men 6, 7 & 8 - 19:05:00 - 20mins +2

More details can be found here

nescius

Postby nescius » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:21 pm

Results of the Crit Champs have been posted, I managed to snag myself silver on Wednesday night in the masters 2 category :D but they couldn't spell my name right :x
There are some good photos linked to these results as well.
Wednesday night's results
Thursday night's results
Friday night's results